Berlin Germany trip

Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Berlin Germany trip

Have a wonderful opportunity to spend several days in Berlin, Germany. We've been searching the internet for things to go see & do while there. What would you recommend? So far, we both agree on at least one museum. From searching the web, I suspect their quilt shops may not be quite the variety as we have over here.

Thanks, in advance for in insights and suggestions!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Hope you are having a nice vacation. I went to look at episode of Georgia Bonesteel and she is visiting a shop called the Snail Trail Quilt Shop in Lellwangen, Germany.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:36 PM

Brandenburger Tor (gate); Checkpoint Charlie; Reichstag Building (German parliament building);Kurfuerstendamm for shopping and people watching (think 5th Ave in NYC). If you have time, a trip to Dresden is worth it! Both cities are about 100 miles apart and you can go by bus, car or train. Dresden is beautiful with its old architecture and has some very interesting buildings like the "Zwinger", Semperopera and the Frauenkirche (beautiful Lutheran church). Make sure you eat a Currywurst at Konnopke's Imbiss. They are the best in Berlin
Old 04-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Germanquilter is totally right on all points. We went to the Charlettoburg Castle - they have a walk thru tour where you use headphones and go at your own pace. There is Humboldt University where you can look down a glassed area where the book burning was held. I went to a fabric/quilt shop Frau Tulpe Staffe & Accessories - they had lovely fabric and no trouble speaking English.

We were in Berlin last September and had a great time! Transportation is wonderful, we went to Potsdam to visit friends by train. You can get a day pass that you can use for the busses and trains. I can't remember the name of the place where the Wall still stands and No Man's Land so you can see what they had to deal with. There is a church that was bombed during the war which is still standing as a reminder of what happened.

Take your best walking shoes, there is so much to see. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. My husband had been there before so knew all the places he wanted to show me. Almost every restaurant we went to had menus in English, all you have to do is ask. Know that some places do not accept credit cards.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-25-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Usually we visit DH's family in Berlin but I agree with the above suggestions. But one trip we also did the River Cruise for an afternoon and it was fantastic. Here is a link to give you an idea of where it goes etc. I don't know what company we toured with but I know there is a variety of them. https://www.berlin.de/en/tourism/riv...ses-boattrips/

If you like walking in nature, look into The Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island)

and of course the Olympic Stadium if you are interested in history where in 1936 Hitler opened the Summer Olympics.

Also the Television Tower at Alexander Square ....

If you make it down to Potsam, Sanssouci Palace is a great place to spend an afternoon, lots of steps and tons of history. You can choose tours in English etc. just check it all out online.

Check out maps of where you want to go and how easily most places are accessed on the u-bahn https://www.berlin.de/en/public-tran...subway.en.html

Do you speak/read German? http://www.berlin.de/special/shoppin...er-schick.html

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 04-25-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Oh, thank you for the great suggestions! I can hardly wait. Our son got this started. He's going to be attending a 3-day computer programmer's conference. I casually asked if he wanted some company on the trip, and he said sure. His Dad & I jumped at the chance. We'll be doing the "tourist" thing the whole week. I'm of German heritage, but don't speak or read the language. I'm hoping info. signs (like bathroom) will be obvious!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I hope you have a wonderful vacation and please bring us back pictures and some stories.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM

You should not have any issues with the language. Virtually everyone in Germany speaks English and the German language itself is quite similar to English (at least to me). It's been many decades since I was in Germany (almost everywhere except Berlin) and it was very easy to navigate any transportation; shopping; dining. Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:58 AM

"Toiletten"; no problem and free in museums but will cost 50C to 70C elsewhere.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 AM

All suggestions from German quilter are excellent, you will be very busy, and it will all be good.
As for quilt shops, they haveven good sewing shops with a great variety, but....fabric is more expensive. Yet, they also have sale corners, where you can find great deals.
Enjoy your stay