Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best fabrics for bloom in faux chenille

Best fabrics for bloom in faux chenille

My latest easy project is faux chenille kitchen towels that button to a towel bar - they stay put and drink up water quickly from busy hands. So far I've only used muslin, which is OK, but I think I can do better. I understand the concept; loosely or coarsely woven fibers are best, and for this purpose, they should be absorbent. How about rayon? A mix? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Manalto; 11-26-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Osnaburg is a nice loose weave that works well for the faux chenille as well. Just googled it and see quite a few shops that carry it, you could check in whatever location you are. Doesn't look too pricey. (it reminds me of linen in it's looks but is 100% cotton)

What a coincidence, I just bought a BOLT of unbleached Osnaburg - great stuff. I'll give it a try. Denim is also supposed to work well, but seems like it would get heavy and dry slowly.

I have some loosely-woven Indian cotton that I got for super cheap, (probably because it's orange and blue plaid) which I'm going to try too.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use synthetics. not very absorbent

Rayon is sometimes called a synthetic, but strictly speaking I think it's a man-made fiber, using a naturally-occurring substance (cellulose). Rayon ravels like crazy and it's absorbent, so I thought it might be a good candidate.

what is faux chenille?
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

Quote Originally Posted by fish92241 View Post
    what is faux chenille?
    It's a technique of layering, stitching and slashing fabric to create a texture that resembles chenille.

Google is your friend.

How about some of the Shot Cottons? Some of them have a looser weave than most quilting cottons, and the different colors of the warp and weft might make an interesting Chenille or rag quilt.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I will check it out; hadn't heard of shot cottons. Thanks!