Best Kitty Litter?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Shhhh, we use oil dri from the hardware store. It is used for oil spills. We change every 3 days. 2cats 2 pans.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barking-rabbit
Shhhh, we use oil dri from the hardware store. It is used for oil spills. We change every 3 days. 2cats 2 pans.
That's the stuff I was suggesting ... different name here, but for the same purpose! :) ........ and would be a legitimate tax write off purchase, Shelbie!!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I tried the oil dry DH has in the garage because he keeps a big drum full of it for spills I didn't like it at all. It absorbs liquids and stays wet, and no odor control, the just used litter smell goes all over the room. I rather buy the good stuff that works.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM

I have five indoor cats. Scoop Away is acceptable to all of them. Inexpensive at BJ's -- $11.99 for 40 lbs -- hard clumping and no odors. Scent isn't overpowering, and minimal dust when pouring. Some of the newer products work very well (World's Best), but are just too expensive when needed for multiple animals.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 AM

Scoop away works great. We have 3 cats in an RV and one cat is super sensitive to kitty litter. It lso helps with the wonderful (grin) kitty litter smell. Good luck
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redkimba
I've changed over to the World's Best Cat Litter (yes, that really is the name of it.) I love it because it really absorbs odor and liquids extremely well and when it's not nearly as heavy as the clay mixes.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

Testimony - I had this at a 50% mix with the clay stuff. I left for a week for my grandmother's funeral; a friend made sure they were fed. (I told her not to worry about the boxes). When I came back, I did not smell the boxes until I moved them to completely empty the pans & start over.
no toxic chemicals = less urinary problems
easy to clean up
lasts a long time
you do not want to mix it if you are going to flush it
it does not pollute
cost effective - you use less

and while you are at it buy a good quality cat food for the cat - healthy = less vet bills so spending a wee bit extra for food won't actually cost more in the large picture.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 AM

We use Fresh Step - have two litter boxes in a mudroom. Haven't noticed any strong smells from the scented litter. Have tried some of the other brands and didn't like them as well.

We have three cats.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 AM

I use Arm & Hammer Essentials. It's made of ground up corn cobs. It clumps great and since it's not made of clay it doesn't stick to the litter box so bad. It controls odors without having a overpowering smell itself. Also, it doesn't weigh a ton like most litters do.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I've changed over to the World's Best Cat Litter (yes, that really is the name of it.) I love it because it really absorbs odor and liquids extremely well and when it's not nearly as heavy as the clay mixes.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

Testimony - I had this at a 50% mix with the clay stuff. I left for a week for my grandmother's funeral; a friend made sure they were fed. (I told her not to worry about the boxes). When I came back, I did not smell the boxes until I moved them to completely empty the pans & start over.
I tried this with only 1 cat and will never buy it again. I found it to not be 'the worlds best cat litter'. It smells exactly like what it is made from - Corn cobs.
I went back to Fresh Step
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 AM

We were having trouble with the perfumey smell of some litters and started using Special Kitty from Walmart. Less dusty and no perfume smell everywhere. There would be NO odor except Miss Isla doesn't cover her business LOL