Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bird feeder

Blog Entries

bird feeder

the starlings were taking over the bird feeder so son took it down and made a cage for it. the smaller birds could get in but not the big ones. soon the starlings gave up and disappeared
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    clever solution
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    great idea. now can you do something about the squirrels???
    I have a squirrel proof one, they love it and come to eat all day long!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    great idea!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Oh how smart he is!!! great idea. he should patent it.

Cool.....love ideas that help the "little ones". They are so easily bullied by bigger birds.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    great idea. now can you do something about the squirrels???
    I have a squirrel proof one, they love it and come to eat all day long!!!
    Or one that keeps out the raccoons....they don't bother to snack, they just knock down the feeder and gorge right there and make a terrible racket while doing it in the middle of the night.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

You have a very talented and artistic son. His idea is so creative and functional, and it's beautiful! Well done.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

The just like deer in West Virginia. The feeder has to be placed high enough so they can't nudge it with their head, spill the seed, and snack away! Very clever little guys, they are!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Lynnie, my dad rigged up a pulley system for his bird feeders. Lower to fill & then raise it back up. They were hung with wire or clothes line so that if any thing heavy tried to get on them it swung & they'd fall off. He also had it strung up high enough that deer couldn't reach it either.

Audubon sells a bird "cage" like that, but is quite expensive, of course. I'm willing to try something to keep those starlings out of my bird feeder.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    I feed everything. My feeders need to be filled almost everyday. I feed the squirrels so my dogs have something to chase. They stay entertained for a long time watching the squirrels. They have never caught a squirrel but they sure do get excited.

Blog Entries

damaged bird feeder

chipmunk chewed thru' the rope and the feeder fell to the ground and is in pieces. son to the rescue to buy stronger rope and repair the feeder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my gosh. Those chipmunks are crafty little creatures, aren't they? Birds will be happy for repair and more food!
    Alyce

It's squirrels here that do the damage. It's become something of a national pastime trying to outwit the furry blighters.

People rig up all sorts of obstacle courses trying to stop them getting to the feeders. I don't mind feeding them but I get thoroughly vexed at them eating their way into them or simply stealing the smaller ones and running off with them.

Mary

Blog Entries
    I would try a wire type rope thingy next time...
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    Little varmints..........

Power Poster
    Cute and crafty little fellas! I was feeding the chipmunks at the cottage peanuts. I walked down to the corner store and they had the door propped open for the breeze. You guessed it, a little chipmunk came right in through the door to help himself. I guess he figured he'd go right to the source and eliminate the middle man.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a friend who saw a video the other day on FB or a squirrel trying to go up a pole to a bird feeder. The guy smeared it with Vaseline. My friend took metal sheeting and wrapped his wooden pole to the feeder. Being his job as a welder he welded the sheeting to a smooth finish. Then smeared it with Vaseline. He no longer has a problem with squirrels or chipmunks.

Blog Entries
    Put a slinkey on the pole

Blog Entries
    our squirrels are acrobats, they hang upside down for just a morsel of bird food.
    I've seen them chew thru ropes to get what they want. my mom has her bird feed in
    a metal garbage pail out side with a bungee cord on top. they chewed thru that.
    she had it in a plastic garbage pail, but they chewed the top off the can.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Chipmunks are so naughty. We have a few that appear when we open the back door. Then it's like watching the Keystone Cops as they run around the patio looking for the food we throw out there. Glad you have a fix for your problem!
    Lori

I have never had chipmunks damage my feeders but squirrels chewed an aluminum baffle( the baffle is the can-like tube below the feeder that keeps them from reaching the feeder). Be happy you don't have bears. They twist and break the poles like they are toothpicks. They smash the feeders to smithereens or take them into the woods, hummingbird feeders too. I have a feeder hanging high above the ground with a pulley to fill it. I have to wrap the pulley rope around the tree or they will pull on it. The don't seem to be able to climb that tree though they try. They say birdseed is like candy to a bear. I'm glad you can repair you feeder and get back in business, it gets really expensive to replace everything.

This won't help with them chewing the rope through, but it definitely works to keep them off the feeder.

http://www.duncraft.com/Emerald-Squi...affle-Hat?shop

I used to have a tree next to my deck and I kept a tube-like feeder with sunflower seeds there. The squirrels would raid it like crazy until I bought the baffle. Then I amused myself by watching the squirrels come down the chain, try to reach the feeder, fail, and fall to the ground. They would try over and over and fail every time. It is much better than the round dome-like baffles as the top hat or witch hat as I call it is just long enough that they can't reach the feeder and it is slanted enough that they can't do much except fall to the ground. Some of the larger squirrels may be able to scramble back up the chain but I have never seen one get to the feeder.
    Pat

Save an old electrical extension cord. I have feeders that have been up for years. Depending on the cord you can make a cut in the center and pull to get 2 long cords. Must be the rubber and wire that they don't like. Another idea is a clothes hanger. This is a little harder to bend so you'll need a pair of pliers to help you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast