Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: blood sugar testing

blood sugar testing

I need to replace my elderly mom's blood sugar testing machine. any recommendations on an easy-to-use machine. I have no knowledge of any brands.
    a quilter, a baker, a picture-taker

Around here, you can go to the drug store and talk with the pharmacist. They usually let you look closely at them and try them. The Diabetic Educator associated with the hospital also is a very useful resource. Maybe take your mom with you after you've scouted the options and see what she can manage?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    Around here, you can go to the drug store and talk with the pharmacist. They usually let you look closely at them and try them. The Diabetic Educator associated with the hospital also is a very useful resource. Maybe take your mom with you after you've scouted the options and see what she can manage?
    agree here

I use Reli-On brand meter and test strips. They are very reasonably priced and sold at Wal-Mart. ;=)

Exclamation Very reasonable priced!

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    I use Reli-On brand meter and test strips. They are very reasonably priced and sold at Wal-Mart. ;=)
    I too use this brand. The testing strips for 50 around $9 and for 100 are under $17. Due to the reasonable pricing I can test my blood sugar more frequently!

Staying on top of the BS really help me.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Power Poster
    Wow - those test strips are reasonably priced!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    also, check to see what her insurance company will cover (the test strips)--often you can get a device free by using the matched test strips.

When I had to replace mine it was what the insurance company allowed, and a dr's prescription. I don't think it cost me anything.

Blog Entries
    check with her doctor and insurance. My doctor had several machines to choose from and they were free.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I use the Reli-On from Wal-Mart too. The other meters might be free, but they kill you with the test strip prices. You might have to pay $17 for the Reli-On meter but the strips are 100 for about $17. The others give you a free meter but you have to pay around $1.00 per strip if I remember correctly. You make up the price difference in the first couple of weeks.

Blog Entries
    Some insurance companies are not allowing prescriptions for certain brands of strips. So I had to select new meter to get eligible insurance paid test strips.

I have to be rigorous in my glucose monitoring. My pharmacy doesn't typically carry the strips I use so I tried a new meter. It was wildly inaccurate! Did some googles and such and found that the standards are not at all what I am comfortable, something like 15% inaccuracy either way is considered acceptable by "industry standards" but not by me. I have to know if what I am doing is working or not. My old meter on the other had tests out exactly the same as the lab tests. I now have my test strips special ordered and have to put in the request about 2 weeks before I'm out.

Anyway, the Walmart brands are actually more accurate than most. Wish I was at home where I have my test results page bookmarked.

[QUOTE=Tiggersmom;8253706]I too use this brand. The testing strips for 50 around $9 and for 100 are under $17. Due to the reasonable pricing I can test my blood sugar more frequently!

In my area the testing strips are no longer $9 . . . price has risen to $20 for 50 strips . . . but that's still cheaper than other brands. I just bought some this week.

thank you everyone for the information.
    a quilter, a baker, a picture-taker

My test strips and lancets are covered by my insurance. 100 day supply is less than $4.

Check with medicare about getting testing supplies paid for. I have had mine covered 100% for several years. You just have to find a pharmacy in your area that does that and fill out papers and have the Dr. send information. Go to the medicare site and look for pharmacies that are in the system.

Here's an article that might help - https://diatribe.org/are-blood-gluco...data-18-meters
    There are many others, too. Just google "glucose meter accuracy."
    A man only has the right to look down at another when he helps him to lift himself up. - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Linda

My,doctor gave me a free meter and my test strips are paid completely through Medicare. I have to pay for the lancets. Medicare also takes care of my metformin. My Endochronologist changed my insulin pen from Lantus (which cost me about $188 for a box of 5 pens) to Tresiba which costs me $47for a box of 5 pens. But I now take a bit more insulin - 20 units which isnt really very high - so the box of pens only last about 10 weeks. I’m hoping your mother has an Endochronologist who is specifically able to deal with her diabetes instead of just a family physician (which I also have and is very good). ,any FP are not able to keep up with new things going in with diabetes. Please talk to the Medicare people to make sure she is not overpaying. My doctors have always given me free meters even when I was not old enough for Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
    I need to replace my elderly mom's blood sugar testing machine. any recommendations on an easy-to-use machine. I have no knowledge of any brands.
    At 96 she should be covered with no cost. Medicare pays for it. As to the brand, as others have said, see what she can use.

Blog Entries
    medicare will replace your meter or give you a new one. and they provide the strips. do an internet search on 'mail order diebetic supplies.