Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: book recommendations - winter reading

Blog Entries
    I read a lot of books in the winter since I go to bed earlier - warm cozy bed....any good book recommendations
    I just finished Suzanne's diary for Nicholas - I highly recommend this one.

Any by Jennifer Cheverini or Thomas Kinkaid. If you like mystery JoAnn Fluke is good. Debbie McComber writes good romance stories.

Oh my goodness....ALL of his books are just wonderful! But usually also sad!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I read a lot of books in the winter since I go to bed earlier - warm cozy bed....any good book recommendations

Ooh, I will watch this thread with interest. I love a good book! It sure is hard to pick, though.

Off the top of my head...I finished Fannie Flagg's I Still Dream About You a couple of weeks ago. I always enjoy her books for something entertaining and not too heavy. I am also reading my way through Bryce Courtenay now. Loved Four Fires. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly was pretty good, but I really loved her book "A Northern Light."--that's the one I would most highly recommend. Pat Conroy is my favorite. I'd recommend any of his books.

I'll be thinking on this one!

I just the other day finished The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks----very good book.

Blog Entries
    Susan Wittig Albert has a great series (China Bales series).

Blog Entries
    My reading plans for the winter is "Quilting Message Board", LOL:)

Most of Nicholas Sparks are good. One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler. My son is reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest & recommends all 3 of those books - they are next on my list. If you like history, I also recommend books by Jeff Shaara.

The Walk by Richard Paul Evans. Saving Cee Cee Hunicutt is a good read. I have read all of Nicholas Sparks

Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    Most of Nicholas Sparks are good. One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler. My son is reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest & recommends all 3 of those books - they are next on my list. If you like history, I also recommend books by Jeff Shaara.
    The Stieg Larrsson books are awesome but a much different genre than most being recommended here .
    I guess it depends on what you like to read. I avoid standard romance /relationship books but I did buy "Heartbroke Bay" yesterday for Kindle after the USATODAY write up.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    Ooh, I will watch this thread with interest. I love a good book! It sure is hard to pick, though.

Off the top of my head...I finished Fannie Flagg's I Still Dream About You a couple of weeks ago. I always enjoy her books for something entertaining and not too heavy. I am also reading my way through Bryce Courtenay now. Loved Four Fires. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly was pretty good, but I really loved her book "A Northern Light."--that's the one I would most highly recommend. Pat Conroy is my favorite. I'd recommend any of his books.

Pat Conroy is my favorite author!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

One of the best books I ever read was "One Tuesday Morning" by Karen Kingsbury. I had it read in like 3 days I couldn't put it down :) There are 3 books in the series, it was the first.
    I just read the second "Beyond Tuesday Morning" It was also a good book, but not as good as the first.
    Now I just need the third book and I'll be finished with the series.

I just finished "Spooner" by Pete Dexter. Very entertaining.

Jennifer Chiaverini's new book comes out in February (the Union Quilters) I cannot wait! Her books are what inspired me to do more research on civil war quilts and history of quilts.

I also read and recommend anything by Francine Rivers and Karen Kingsbury. Debbie MacComber is good too. I like her Blossom Street series.

I read "the Constant Princess" by Phillipa George and was hooked on her Tudor Queen books.

Blog Entries
    I recommend reading "The Help" if you want an enlightening experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I would recommend Robyn Carr's "Virgin River" series...she is on book 11-12-13 for 2011 now. I got them all on ebay and they sure will keep ya entertained...she first came out with the "Grace Valley" series which is connected to the Virgin River series...can't miss

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've seen several books recommended that I loved, too. For a different idea, try Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care or Lisa Scottoline's Look Again. Both of these will make you think.

If thinking isn't what you have in mind, try Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I don't like Evanovich's other series, but Stephanie is laugh out loud funny.

If you are a thrift store shopper, be on the look out for Anne Tyler books. Digging to America is my favorite one of hers. Also, The Diary by Eileen Goudge is excellent. Those books are both over 5 years old, so you might find them at the Goodwill.

I'll stop now, although I could go on forever. I work part-time in the library so I talk about books with lots of people and pick up reading ideas all the time. I often read a book just because someone suggested it and end up loving it. Stretching my reading box has been good for me.

Anything by Terry Pratchett. The rest just depends on what kind of book you like reading, ie science fiction, etc.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    The Hot Flash Club..........it is as the name implies menapause. Where a depend it is so funny I almost peed my pants. I have read 2 there might be more.

Stash Envy is another great book.

Blog Entries
    I was just told to read The Glass House and Half Broke Horse. don't know the authors name though.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I was just told to read The Glass House and Half Broke Horse. don't know the authors name though.
    Jeanette Walls .... both are good books, but I liked The Glass House better.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series
    Kinda defies genre -- best described as a time travel historical romance but the whole is more than the sum of those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct

Pat Conroy is my favorite author!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Sue, I received his newest book "My Reading Life" for Christmas and can't wait to start it!! I've read many of his books multiple times and have also listened to them through Audible. Both ways, wonderful.

I'm impatiently waiting for Jean Auel's 6th book 'The Land of Painted Caves' to be published some time in 2011. I love her 'Earth's Children' series which began with 'Clan of the Cave Bear'. Can't wait :)

Blog Entries
    I love to read romantic mystery novels. I find it harder and harder to find a book to enjoy tho due to the explicit sex and gross use of the English language. Mary Higgins Clark and Carol are among my favorite authors.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast