Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Bed Pillows

Blog Entries

Buying Bed Pillows

Our pillows are getting so flat ,although they were good for years. now I need to shop for new.Down is too soft for side sleepers like us.Is memory foam heavy? What store ? As you can see,advice needed.
    Pat

Power Poster
    I bought one of the contour pillows and couldn't get used to it. I don't like fiber fill pillows as they get hard after a while. I buy the foam chips at Walmart and make my own case. I find the foam works best for my arthritic neck as I can bunch it by my neck and create a little hollow for my head.

I like cheap (replaced as needed) mushy foam pillows from Walmart. I hate firm pillows. We are all going to have different opinions on this. i push the pillow around my head as comfortable.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    my memory foam pillows are heavy. I have a small wheat husk pillow i love but would love to find one in a larger size.

I buy the cheapies at Walmart. I don't think you should keep your pillows for years.
    Marilyn

When staying at a local hotel, I discovered the most awesome pillows ever. The best I've ever slept on.
    The Sobel Westex - Dolce Notte Pillow
    Reasonably priced & good service
    https://www.sobelathome.com/index.php?c=2&b=7&p=8
    FancyFoot

Shredded foam for me - My Pillow is one brand, but I am sure there are less expensive ones!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I dread having to replace my pillow. I do not like a hard or high pillow and to get one that suits me is quite difficult. I do have a cupboard full of pillows that have only been used for a night or two.

Good luck with your mission.

Blog Entries
    I like a memory foam pillow for my head. It has a ridge that fits under my neck and a dip for my head, so my neck gets plenty of support. I have a shredded foam pillow that I use for my knee when it aches. I agree with Sandy - you're going to have tons of different opinions.

IKEA has lots of different pillows designed for back sleepers, side sleepers, stomach sleepers.... I didn't like any of them because I found they were all way too flat for me. But for those who don't like poofy pillows they may work well.

I like down...mine got too flimsy so I requested a firm from Bed Bath & Beyond for Christmas last year. Got it but it was too high and gave me a stiff neck....thought is would get squishy but it didn't so I am back to my flimsy. I plan to take some out of the big one and put in my little one and have 2 mediums...but haven't yet.

So...you can get down in different densities.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Macy's and Kohl's carries pillows that are marked for back sleepers, side sleepers and stomach sleepers. I like those.

I find buying bed pillows to be a torturous process. DH and I did this last year and painful doesn't even come close to finding a decent pillow anymore. We both, obviously, like different types of pillows. In years past, I've even been willing to pay waaaaay to much $$ for a decent pillow. Last ones we ended up with were, I believe, from Home Goods. Can't remember cuz we were in about 6 stores that day looking for pillows. The ones we currently have are ok but not great. He really doesn't like his - too thick. Mine are better than what I had but still not great. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    Our pillows are getting so flat ,although they were good for years. now I need to shop for new.Down is too soft for side sleepers like us.Is memory foam heavy? What store ? As you can see,advice needed.
    I sleep some on my side, some on my back and the stomach and back to my side. All night long. Anyway, I have a down pillow and I like it because I can bunch it up when I'm on my side and flatten to one side on my stomach and roll it under my neck on my back. But pillows are such a personal thing, you'll just have to see what's out there.

I just bought a new pillow. I'm a side and stomach sleeper. The research I did recommended a 50/50 fill of down and feathers. I haven't had the new one but a couple of weeks. It's a little fuller than I like but I'm sure it will squash down over time. My old pillow as so flat I might as well not use it.

I bought a down substitute for my DH and his actually seems a little softer. It doesn't seem to be stuffed as full as mine.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Over the 'many' years, I have spent a tremendous amount of money on pillows, and then they go flat. My husband asked me about two years ago to get some 'decent' pillows. So, I went to a mattress store and tried out various pillows, and decided on Temperpedic brand pillows. I purchased two queen size pillows and the covers for them. I can truthfully say, they are worth the money, and they bounce back into shape. But yes, they were an "investment" so to speak. I doubt that I will ever have to buy any more pillows.

Wal Mart has pillows in bins so you can pull them out and push and pull on them to test what you think will work for you. I put my pillows in my top loader washing machine and dry them in the dryer about every six months to keep them fresh. And when they get beyond help, away they go for some other use. froggyintexas

I change all bed pillows at least three times a year. DH sweats a lot at night and no way I'd want his pillows in the bed longer then a few months. I also use two pillowcases per pillow. It really helps to keep the pillow shape and fullness. I give the used pillows to the local animal shelter. I won't buy very expensive pillows because I won't keep them long enough to justify the cost.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I purchased pillows from QVC shopping channel on t.v. They are called My Pillow, and I love mine.

I am weird I use a contoured with a feather on top. I like the coolness of the feather pillow. I have my feather pillows re-ticked at the local Dry cleaner to get the fullness I want and it is very reasonable.

Blog Entries
    Several years ago, when I was much younger, I overheard several ladies talking about how they couldn't find decent pillows. At the time I thought they were silly. Now, much older, I know what they were talking about. I couldn't find a decent pillow anywhere until my Dr. suggested JC Pennys. Now I have pillows I can sleep with.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I read somewhere a while back that a pillow over two years old has accumulated it's original weight in dust mite nastiness etc. I have to change mine regularly as my head sweats terribly no matter how cold the room is kept. I even bought one of those pillows that "guarantee" to keep your head comfortable -- no dice. Anyway, now I just get cheaper ones; use the covers that supposedly form an impervious barrier (but probable also contributes to heat), and still spend more money on them than I care to think about. The older I get, the less I seem to sleep I seem to get. Maybe I should use the money on more fabric and sleep sitting up in my recliner.... My beagles won't like it; they want to cuddle in bed. Joyce in Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by FancyFoot View Post
    When staying at a local hotel, I discovered the most awesome pillows ever. The best I've ever slept on.
    The Sobel Westex - Dolce Notte Pillow
    Reasonably priced & good service
    https://www.sobelathome.com/index.php?c=2&b=7&p=8
    Wow this is what I was going to suggest! We stayed at Paniolo Greens in Hawaii and these were the pillows on the bed. My husband and i liked them so well I ordered 6 online. They are reasonably priced as well.

yup, lots of differing opinions.
    I discovered after nearly my whole life, that my dgd "baby" pillow I helped her big sister make, that
    as a mostly stomach sleeper, I had been sleeping on pillows that were too big!
    My dh gave up one that his chiropracter designed that has a rectangular hollow in the middle and
    I confiscated that one too.
    It's mostly our necks that need the support and proper alignment anyway.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

here's something else to consider for those that are not sleeping well:
    My dh has sleep apnea and I'd had trouble sleeping for many, many years due to fibromyalgia.
    Well, somewhere along the way I too, developed sleep apnea and had no idea.
    If you snore even a little, but wake up tired and have a dull headache for a while, ask your sleep
    partner if you snore.
    If they say yes, go talk to your doctor. I went to a sleep study and the next morning I told the
    tech it didn't work...I never snored.
    He grinned and said, "Only when you were asleep!" "really?"....really!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I also, own "My Pillow" they are great and can be and should be washed often. Good luck in your search.
    Toodie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast