Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying faded, tattered, and/or torn jeans (at full price in a first-hand store)

Power Poster

Buying faded, tattered, and/or torn jeans (at full price in a first-hand store)

I don't get it.

I think the fading and tears should be 'earned' through long wear!

Blog Entries
    I totally agree!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I don't get it either. I refuse to buy them. I make a public fuss about it, call the store manager, and make sure everyone sees me walk out without spending any money. That and G-string panties for little girls. THAT made me furious, and everyone in the store heard about THAT too!

I agree, but trends change all the time. They know how to market it!
    Country 1

I totally hate them. if you want the nice new looking fabric, so often the jeans are plain with no styling. I like the styling of the newer Jeans that don't have the holes and fading but it is harder and harder to find. Usually if they have a stylish design they come with holes and fading. And so often the fading and creases are not even natural looking. I'm feeling like I will eventually have to make my own but seriously have no desire to make them. I hate shopping for pants.

there are other people who don't feel the same as you.so,calling the manager and such,just makes you look like a brat.they stock what sells.i don't buy them either by the way.but a public fuss,no!!!!!!!

I just don't buy em!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

In a way, I agree with sherryl1. It is what is selling so making a fuss to the manager does no good, unless you feel better afterwards. They are not going to change. It just raises your blood pressure.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I think it's fun clothes for teens and young adults. Anyone over 25 looks silly wearing them for a fashion statement.
    Got fabric?

I remember when I used to volunteer at the middle school where my youngest went. One day I started to wear a pair of jeans that had a tiny hole in them. Nothing embarrassing was showing. The type of work I did was sometimes messy/dirty so I did not want to wear nice clothes - just clean and presentable. My then 13 year old son was scandalized. Mom - you can't wear those jeans to my school! It's too embarrassing! So said the kid wearing jeans that had both knees out and a patch on the seat (the patch done in plaid flannel to look like underwear).

On another note - kids are so lazy these days, they want to have someone else wear the holes into the jeans so they don't have too!

They are quite pricey as well. I grew up on a farm, and we wouldn't have been caught dead going into town in our faded, holey work pants. But as it was mentioned, times have changed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
    there are other people who don't feel the same as you.so,calling the manager and such,just makes you look like a brat.they stock what sells.i don't buy them either by the way.but a public fuss,no!!!!!!!
    I disagree. You said "they stock what sells" which is EXACTLY my point. If enough people complain and refuse to purchase certain products, these stores will realize they are losing sales and will expand their selection. However, if you don't say anything, how will they know? The store manager I spoke to was thankful that I DID say something, because he felt the same way but needed proof to show his bosses. He said he was tired of watching shoppers walk out of the store without purchasing anything, and upper management was blaming him for poor sales. So I happily filled out a comment card. I don't think I looked like a brat to him.

I patch my husbands jeans and my own if a hole develops. Our parents raised us not to look shabby in public.
    My kids were raised the same and their kids dress like young men and ladies when going out. No dirty faces, hair combed, no wrinkly clothing and certainly no holey jeans.
    My other pet peeve is the jeans on the racks that were made to look dirty and slept in for sale.

I for one don't need to see flabby/hairy backsides hanging out of torn jeans..........LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I disagree. You said "they stock what sells" which is EXACTLY my point. If enough people complain and refuse to purchase certain products, these stores will realize they are losing sales and will expand their selection. However, if you don't say anything, how will they know? The store manager I spoke to was thankful that I DID say something, because he felt the same way but needed proof to show his bosses. He said he was tired of watching shoppers walk out of the store without purchasing anything, and upper management was blaming him for poor sales. So I happily filled out a comment card. I don't think I looked like a brat to him.
    Unfortunately, your complaining won't do any good if the cash register shows that they DO sell.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty clueless I guess; my daughter was wearing a pair of jeans with holes in the knees and I told her I'd repair them! I didn't realize they were a fashion statement....I just don't get out much!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

"On another note - kids are so lazy these days, they want to have someone else wear the holes into the jeans so they don't have too!"

that's funny ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

My husband wears his multi-patched jeans with pride when he works in the yard. He loves telling the passersby that his wife quilts. Certainly looks like he is wearing one ;-)

Power Poster
    We were farm people. Holes could catch on things and be hazardous. Mom would patch things once -the patches went from right below the pocket to below the knee - and she put the patches on when the fabric was getting thin - before a hole had developed from wear. The patches were cut from the back legs of previously patched garments. Her repairs were comparatively inconspicuous.

What about the ones with wrinkles that look like shark gills. yuck!

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Blog Entries
    We saw a young teenager with a pair of jeans down to his thighs, with white briefs on. He had to walk bow-legged to hold the jeans up. Shows we are really getting old.

Blog Entries
    I don't buy them either but someone out there is and it will keep being like this until people stop buying it.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

That's how I do my husband's jeans. Every once and awhile I get a little creative just for fun ;-)

The generation gaps are getting larger and larger for me. I hate to see the sloppy way kids dress today. Pants falling off their backsides, holes in their jeans, girls wearing so little there is nothing left to the imagination. I guess it's a good thing I'm living in my last stages in this life. I would hate to see what happens in the next 30 or 40 years.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

The generation gaps are getting larger and larger for me. I really hate the sloppy way kids dress today. Pants way to large, falling off their behinds and exposing their underwear. Holes in the legs and the girls wearing such skimpy outfits that it leaves nothing to the imagination. Seems as though they take no pride in their appearance. I suppose it's a good thing that I am so old and living the final time of my life as I would hate to see what happens in years to come.

OOPS...well guess everyone knows how I really feel....LOL
    Last edited by ShabbyTabby; 06-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I agree: it's ridiculous to pay $150 or more for torn jeans when you can go to a thrift shop and get them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast