Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camper/RV advice?

My husband and I have had a motor home for years and have been from coast to coast. I cook almost all our meals ahead and freeze them, then heat them up in the microwave. The only cooking I do on a trip is dogs, burgers or brats on the grill. Great way to travel.

We have a fifth wheel 29 ft. And love it! We prefer the fifth wheel over bumper hitch (more control). When we purchased our we looked at many different ones and ended up buying a private owner(just turned out to be a great deal) . But one thing we wanted was ease of making bed and getting into and lots storage (3sons-lol) This one has tons! It sleeps, 5 really nice size fridge and freezer too, nice sized shower inside, and out I purchased basically a second set of necessity dishes kitchenware and etc. from rummage sales and second hand and just have to load fresh foods and couple clothes and we're good to go. Basically a home away from home. Love it. Whatever you choose and decide figure out what you would like in one and work from there. Have fun.

Blog Entries
    I have tent camped....had a pop up and now have a pull behind. Definitely rent before buying...used campers are okay...just have it inspected. Shower area is used for storage...I don't wanta clean

As for toilet...only pee....go to bath house for #2....you will eventually have problems

As for the kitchen...if it can't go in the microwave, the crockpot, the electric skillet, the toaster oven or the George Foreman grill....it doesn't need to be cooked...enjoy the simple life!

We have a 25' C class that we traveled down through Alaska and across Canada in last summer. Between gas and camping fees, it's not going to save you money. However, there is something to be said for parking, hooking up, and then going to bed in your own bed with your own pillows and not having to haul your suitcases every night. We didn't tow a car, and it was really obnoxious driving the RV to go sightseeing. If you don't get a trailer or fifth wheel, I highly recommend towing a car. The nice thing about our RV is it was big enough to live in relatively comfortably, but small enough that we didn't have to worry about leveling and all that. We just pulled in and hooked up.

i loved being able to pull into a rest area and having everything available for lunch, snacks, whatever.

All that being said, we're in the process of trying to sell ours because we don't see ourselves using it in the next few years and don't want to pay registration and insurance just to have it sit.

Good luck!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

There's a website, RVtravel.com, that I highly recommend for your attention. The experienced staff and contributors who make the site so valuable helped us do the research from the very beginning: do we really want to do this?; what is involved with maintenance?; new vs used?; what type?; warranty or not?; service where and by whom?; and on and on. They even have help for figuring out all the questions and making sure you ask yourselves and others all of them. Another thing is the site has an extensive, useful and very accessible data base of information and also areas in which rvers and thinking-about-it rvers talk to one another. Those areas are also data based. I think of it as a QB about rving.

The parent site has created a number of stand alone offshoots. One about tips; another about accessories; and more. Get into the main site and take a look at what subject areas interest you. You can subscribe to any or all of the sites. I get all of them. And they are very, very serious about their privacy policy.

If we can get out of here this year, we are planning to spend a rock of time on the road. I use the rv for sanity time with all the comforts (on the driveway). An rv has horrified some more elderly family members, delighted other family members, intrigued neighbors (we are asked for tours), been a blessing as well as a joy, and on and on.

Please check out RVtravel.com and see what you think. Rving is not for everyone; but, if it is for you and you can do it, do it and enjoy the tar out of it.

See you on the road?

Pat :-)

Wow! Thank you everyone! And the RVtravel website looks like a wealth of info! Off to read!

There's nothing like camping in the first place. If it be in a trailer 5th wheel or pop up. I camped my whole life in a tent. I don't care for campers or trailer, Rv's only because to me it's to much like home. My son has a 43ft expando on a seasonal campground he used go o different places but are now in new permanent place and they love it, they go whenever they want as long as they want. They both work so if they are not all able to go as a family, one or the other takes the kids. They have all the comforts of home right on Lake Michigan and the Dunes. You will love it.
    Life is short, enjoy every second.

I own both an RV and a camping trailer that we tow. The RV is for smaller trips and the trailer is for our 3 month trips. We always have bought used after our first brand new one. Was told they trade in good and that is not exactly the truth. We have always been very happy with our trailers. Look for one that your vehicle can tow, you want more power than less. Go on Craigslist and look them over: front kitchens, rear kitchens, middle kitchens. Get as much storage as you can, you will use it. Before you buy,make sure everything works great, no matter what!

I love traveling in my own bed with linens that are clean and I know are clean. Buy a Federal Pass for $25 and camp in Corp of Engineers Parks for $10 or state parks. I have camped in 49 states now and consider myself lucky.

WE still use tents.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

Blog Entries
    My husband loves camping and I don't really! When our son got his family a travel trailer my husband REALLY wanted to be able to go camping with them. So we rented a few times, for me having a trailer was a huge difference from camping in a tent. Since then, many of our friends and their kids starting going on our camping trips with us. I am still not in love with camping but I do love going with friends, and I love that I can go in and lay down, cool off in the AC if I need to. We ended up buying a used truck and used trailer, we do a lot of camping not too far from home too, it saves on gas and the trip isn't as exhausting for me.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Had one before gas got outrageous. Fun way to travel. Went from New York to Alaska in it. It was a 32 footer. Plenty of room and all the amenities. Expensive to keep up and maintain. Loved it but could not afford it any longer. Rent and enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2