Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canned Peaches

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Red face Canned Peaches

We went and bought peaches to can today and made 15 pints !! We only wanted to make a few pints as its just us two, well three including the avatar.
    The farmers markets are in full swing; next is tomatoes and some taco sauce as well as some relishes !

Wooohoooooo: Peach cobbler and peach pies in December !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Yay !!!!! I hate canning but i love opening what ive canned... So i guess its a pretty good trad off for all the work it takes..

I miss canning peaches, but it is just not cost effective down here. We do not not let local grown peaches either.

I do have 2 apple trees in my backyard that are calling my name to come out ant pick the apples for applesauce. So it looks like I will be doing that tomorrow or Monday.

Is it just me or has anyone else ever canned (or even had) spiced peaches? My mom used to make them & they were super yummy!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My Mom made spiced peaches, too. She canned everything & I have never canned. I also loved her pickled beets!!

Canned Peaches

And then there are the spiced pickles...my grandmother canned everything, even spiced beef. Oh come those cold north Kansas winds and a good plate of spiced beef and homemade noodles, and home made bread.
    Last edited by misspriss; 08-05-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added a word

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Is it just me or has anyone else ever canned (or even had) spiced peaches? My mom used to make them & they were super yummy!
    I canned spiced peaches last summer. I haven't eaten a single jar because I know if I do then I wont have them anymore. A long time ago I was able to find ALLEN brand spiced peaches but I haven't looked for the lately.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

MMMM, peaches and vanilla ice cream!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have a jar of spiced peaches in my pantry right now, bought them at Kroger, I think. (Sunshine brand) Hmmm, why have I not eaten them? On ice cream sounds divine!! But I've already had my allotment for today, pooh.

Jan in VA
    Last edited by Jan in VA; 08-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Oh, this all reminds me of how my Mom used to can peaches when I was young.

Maybe I can get her to teach me how? I'd better hurry, though... she is 88 already...

I taught my 42 year old daughter how to make cherry jam this past May, she never did watch me make jam when she was little. She caught on fast. I feel that if one knows how to can, one will never go hungry.

Blog Entries
    I always put a peach pit in the jar when I canned my peaches - I don't know, don't ask!!!!! But I did!!!!! I have to get my black raspberry jelly made that I am entering in the Minnesota State Fair. Have been too busy to start!!! Will get my lids and caps this week. Probably get them done over the weekend. Have to have them entered by the 17th, I think!

Busy hands are happy hands!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I canned all weekend making chow chow and then bread and butter pickles. I have about 12 pints of each. I love to can.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

I still can. My, now, adult kids really like my sweet pepper relish and apple butter. My son-in-laws have requested grape jelly and pickled beets. My kids don't like grape jelly. My peach tree got hit by frost this year so had only 1 peach.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie View Post
    My Mom made spiced peaches, too. She canned everything & I have never canned. I also loved her pickled beets!!
    Ooooooh yeah... pickled beets (which my Mother always called Harvard Beets, for some reason)! I love them! Now you've made me hungry... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    And then there are the spiced pickles...my grandmother canned everything, even spiced beef. Oh come those cold north Kansas winds and a good plate of spiced beef and homemade noodles, and home made bread.

That sounds like my own Grandmother. She even made her own mincemeat! Yum! And pickled watermelon rind... super yum!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    I canned spiced peaches last summer. I haven't eaten a single jar because I know if I do then I wont have them anymore. A long time ago I was able to find ALLEN brand spiced peaches but I haven't looked for the lately.
    We used to be able to get them around here, too, but haven't been able to for a couple of years now. Waaah! I wonder if Aamazon has them?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyH View Post
    I canned all weekend making chow chow and then bread and butter pickles. I have about 12 pints of each. I love to can.
    Oh, my Mother put chow chow up, too! I hadn't thought about chow chow in forever! She also canned her own sauerkraut, which was THE best kraut I've EVER tasted! Granted, the house smelled pretty "interesting" as the kraut was curing, but it was worth it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    DH"s Grandmother canned everything including fish, I only did the vegetables and fruits with her. We also did jellies, and jams and mixes you would not believe-zuchini-orange-jalapeno jelly (which was yummy, byt the way).. LOL All kinds of things and had a blast doing it as well. So many memories of doing the "canning thing" in the summer when everything came in. I ran across a list of what we did one year (DH's Grandmother kept track of all of that) and sat down to read the 2 page listing and couldn't believe we had done all of that in one season, meanwhile she was canning meats when not at our house canning veggies, or making jellies, jams. I think her favorite was the marmalades.
    Memories for sure of canning with my grandmother during the summer months came back to life, and the homemade pastries that we made and froze .. SO needless to say when DH said he wanted to can this year I was so excited, and we went to get the fresh peaches (they were picking them right off the trees), hurried home and made the peaches. Now to make other items from the recipes and the canning books that she had marked to make.
    I believe our heritage (at least my family) is from Sweden(have to trace it some day!LOL) and the DH's family is from Germany. SO needless to say: interesting meals for sure !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Hi, Everyone. I live in southeast Georgia and can all year round. This past month I made 37 jars of peach jam,25 jars of peach and hot pepper jelly, 37 jars of Pickled(Sweet,Hot)white german garlic. and this past weekend I have done 2 batches and have 3 more of sliced garlic in the dehydrator. There is just my husband and myself but OMG I relax in my kitchen so this is what I do to relax. The Georgia peaches this year are to die for, they taste as good if not better than the RED HAVEN peaches from michigan. I will do Pickled Beets if I can get them when I go to New York for a vacation. Last year I made 60 jars of pickled beets and only have 7 left. You can tell it is sometimes hard to get to quilting when I am in the kitchen so much. Enjoy the fruit whenever someone shares with you.

Get yourself a Ball Blue Book on Canning. The directions and photos are great to teach you how to do it. I canned 10 quarts of green beans today; 5 last week; 12 pints of tomatoes.

Love spiced peaches and crab apples at Thanksgiving time. They seem to go together to me.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    My sister in law's mother all 4 ft of her used to can everything Her husband said that she used ever bit of the pig when she canned pork even the squail.
    catherine antone

I am sooo jealous

Quote Originally Posted by maxnme01 View Post
    Love spiced peaches and crab apples at Thanksgiving time. They seem to go together to me.
    Oh, I'd plumb forgot all about crab apples... YUM! Super yum!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast