Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be careful out there!!

Be careful out there!!

Interesting drive home today! Almost got rear-ended at a stop light. A woman ran onto median to avoid my rear. I was watching her in my rear view mirror and thought it was over. I even started blowing my horn hoping she would notice me. After the too close for comfort call, she passed us, weaving on and off the road, from lane to lane - coming close to hitting people. She looked like she was about to pass out and was definitely not in control of her vehicle. I called 911 and reported it, giving a play by play of where she was and what she was doing for the next 4 or 5 miles. Thankfully, I was somewhere where I was very familiar with the landmarks so I could tell them what was coming up. Once I told them which fork she took in the road, they had officers ready for her. One make a u-turn and got between me and her at a stop light. There was another vehicle in front of her. Officer didn't turn his lights on so we figured he was going to follow and observe her for himself. I guess she saw him behind her because she hit the gas and hit the truck in front of her and then threw the car in reverse, almost hit the cop. He turned on his lights, and got out of his car. She took off, turned on a side road, and then stopped. She was VERY lucky that she didn't kill anyone! Everyone on the road was luckier!! I've never seen driving like that in my life! Oh, and this was about 12:30 this afternoon . . . . Be careful out there and if you see such craziness, call 911 and let them know. Don't just shake your head and let it go. I was the only call they received on this and I talked with 911 until the cop pulled behind her. She could have easily killed someone - maybe one of your loved ones. No telling where she was going! It was scary and I'm somewhat sad that I was the only one on the road that didn't just shake my head. I have no idea where she had come from but we were on a stretch of road that she would have had to be on for a little way. What would you do?
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

you did the right thing by alerting 911, need more people like you

Glad you are safe and that you called 911. So glad they caught up to her before it was too late!

Power Poster
    Great that you got her stopped! I was wondering how the police treat someone using their cell phone to call in an emergency? I know you are not supposed to use it while the car is in motion but you HAD to keep reporting her position.

Makes you thankful that our 911 operators as so well trained... They do a thankless job - but they are oh so important when we need them... YOU did a good thing today...Bless you

Judy in Phx, AZ

Glad your safe!! Sounds harrowing.

I made a similar call once, saw two cars that were obviously racing each other. The operator said she had a number of calls about it already. About 30 miles further up the Interstate we saw a squad car had one of the drivers pulled over so I pulled over in front of them and told the officer that yes indeed I was one of the callers and the car he had was certainly one of the racers.

But what was WRONG with the woman you saw? You said that she looked like she was about to pass out, but in another statement when she took off from the cop it sound like she was evading him purposely - not like someone about to pass out. Was she indeed trying to evade the police???
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Thank you for being in your world and aware of your surroundings! You have made the world better for all of us.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Recently, my son and I called about a driver that was in front of us. She was definitely having trouble staying in her lane on a two lane road. She would also speed up and slow down. We don't know if the police caught her because we went one way and she another, but at least we gave them a description of her car and that she was headed to a four lane road with a median. That particular police department would definitely look for her.

Blog Entries
    Having been it by a drunk out of his mind old man who had no idea he was even in a wreck much less caused one, I have no sympathy for any driver under the influence of anything. The wreck busted my jaw and many teeth. I have had dental problems for years because of his stupidity and the stupidity of his family for letting him drive knowing he drank while driving. I detest any person driving when impaired and knowing they are.
    Got fabric?

You did the right thing and everyone is better for it. thanks!
    Linda

Thank you for making that call. My children make their living by driving and I appreciate people like you helping get them home safe.

I think you did a wonderful thing. Thank God for people like you. You may have saved a life.

Good for you reporting her and staying with her until the police came. The roads would be a lot safer if more people would do what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Great that you got her stopped! I was wondering how the police treat someone using their cell phone to call in an emergency? I know you are not supposed to use it while the car is in motion but you HAD to keep reporting her position.
    I guess that would be a situation if it were illegal where you live. Here, there is no law prohibiting use of cell phones while driving. It comes up in the legislature every year, but goes no where.

Blog Entries
    I would think using your cell in this instance would be ok!! After all, you were reporting a potential wreck or someone getting killed. Now if you were "texting', that might be different. I can't drive and text too so have no idea how people do it! I can get in enough trouble just talking to a passenger in the car!

Oh, I hate when 2 racers get on the road. That is so very dangerous! I also don't understand the fast weaving in and our of traffic unless you have your flashers on and it's an emergency.

Yes, be Careful out there. Holidays seem to be the worse!

I am so glad you are safe. The highway out here we take to Bend, Or. Is full of idiot drivers! It could be a snowstorm with less than a 1/4 mile visibility and they will drive like a bat out of hell. We have called 911 several times on drivers on that highway.

Our first winter here some nut job was speeding to get past a semi when the lanes merged into one. He started going sideways, the semi started going sideways and we drove off into a snowbank. All were fine, the semi honked and drove on, we dug ourselves out of the snow. And the idiot who caused it all, expected us to help him get out......we drove off and left him and his truck knee deep in snow on the side of the road. We later discovered our truck sustained around $300.00 of damage to the front end.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

It is not illegal to talk on the phone here - it is illegal to text and drive. The 911 operator was wonderful! I really think the woman was under the influence of something. She was really "relaxed" looking, leaning over with one hand draped over the top of the steering wheel - not a care in the world as her car went in and out of lanes as well as into the raised median and on the shoulder (thankfully, this area of the road has a paved shoulder as wide as a regular lane). Several times we thought that she was going to hit someone but avoided the accident at the last second. She was stopped at the light when the officer made the u-turn in front of me to get behind her. I think she just panicked when she saw the officer that pulled in and when she hit the guy in front of her, panicked and hit reverse. You would have had to see it to believe it - totally out of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I guess that would be a situation if it were illegal where you live. Here, there is no law prohibiting use of cell phones while driving. It comes up in the legislature every year, but goes no where.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

You certainly did the right thing and you probably saved other peoples lives who knows what she would have done if she had gone further. I have called the police before with 3 guys on motorcycles driving over 120 on the highway going in and out of traffic cutting cars off, it was horrible. Thankfully the cops got them stopped.

You did a very real service to all the other drivers on the road. Too many people get away with DUI. Thank you for taking the time to follow this person and alerting the law.

Kudos to you - you absolutely did the right thing !!
    Dance like no one is watching

Very good job, kydeb, reporting to the Police AND to us, the public.

I guess "hands-free" cells or the newest "On-Star" type communications are the way to go.

Happy SAFE holiday season to all.

Drunk Driver....same for me

I was nearly hit by a man who changed over three lanes.....weaving back amd forth across three lanes...I called the police, they stayed on the phone with me while he drove another five miles and then exited the freeway.
    the police pulled him over while I sat in my car behind the squad car. They took him out of the car, he could not stand up, so they put him in the back seat of the police car. The police officer came back to get my information....as I was looking forward I saw the man keel over int he back seat....the officer ran up there....he was just passed out. To think that his state was close to passing out while driving.....he could have hit someone headon that day. I am glad that I called 911.
    The very next week my husband and I were on the highway coming from Dallas, when a car passed us on the passenger side in the lane closest to the shoulder, my husband said, he better slow down to 40 MPH...it is the law
    in Texas when appraoching a stopped police car on side of the road. It was 11PM, not only did he not slow down, he went off of the highway and hit the squad car doing about 80, pushed it up an embankment....we were about to exit the freeway a block down to go back and a police car came down the ramp the wrong way headed towards us....so we stopped and pulled over as best we could and the police car went up on the curb and drove passed us to ge to the other police officer....we read in the paper that the police officer was hospitalized and the other car he had stopped were OK......drunk survived, they can be deadly on the road.

glad you were OK......and thank you for the reminder.
    Diana in TX

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Debbie, We are SO relieved to hear you were okay!
    Diana in TX, I can just imagine where you were when this happened. Thank God you both called 911. I can't tell you how many times over the years that I have done this while driving; sometimes I worry when I give my name to the 911 operator that they'll ask me if I do this reporting for a living!

Once even, when I had no cell with me, I held my compact up to my ear as I finally got by some joy-riding, lane-blocking, boisterous, annoying teenagers on I-35 south in TX, I pretended to stare into the car and "talked" to report how many were in the car and the license number to the fake 911. They jumped off the interstate at the next exit real quick when they thought they were reported.

Sometimes it even takes a village to "raise" highway awareness.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    You did well to call it in, and glad you are safe. Although we often think the driver of such a vehicle might be drunk, there are other causes for weird driving, such as imbalances in meds if diabetic, or of course, other drug situations. The person may need to be helped for his own good, as well as for the good of the others on the road that he is endangering. Thanks for your concerns.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Kudos to you for such fast thinking. You may have saved some lives!
    Prettip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast