Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cart charges

Would you believe that the Joann's in our area has carts where you have to put in a quarter in order for you to be able to use their carts? How about in your area?

Blog Entries
    What??????I've never heard of this before. Online shopping sounds better and better all the time:)

Quote Originally Posted by the lion
    Would you believe that the Joann's in our area has carts where you have to put in a quarter in order for you to be able to use their carts? How about in your area?
    I've seen it at the airport but never in a store.

I'm afraid I would have a hard time holding my tongue indicating they didn't want me to spend more than I could carry in one hand and pay with the other.

Pretty dang silly if you ask me. Silly I tell ya.

Blog Entries
    Aldi's grocery has had these carts since their inception. It entices people to take their carts back in the store so they can get their quarter back. Seems fair to me.

Not yet. If they decide to do so, I can and will take my business elsewhere. With things available online as well as in other stores why would they risk alienating customers?
    Crazy!

Oh! Just saw a post about another store where you get your quarter back if you return cart. If that is the case, then I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Blog Entries
    Aldi grocery stores in our area does it but you put a quarter in to get the car and when you take it back you get your quarter back, saves from having lots of grocery carts in the parking lot and won't get door bangs on your vehicles this way

I like that idea for a grocery store

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Aldi's grocery has had these carts since their inception. It entices people to take their carts back in the store so they can get their quarter back. Seems fair to me.
    I find it OK as well. It helps keep the costs down.

Aldi's does the quarter for cart, I think, to have their carts put
    back where you got it to save the money they would have to pay employees to keep them in place. You get the quarter back when you return the cart to its original place so it costs the customer nothing.

Around my Joanne's there are more lost carts so it wouldn't bother. Me to save the cost in fabric the carts are pretty expensive to replace

Blog Entries
    We had a few stores in NJ try that years ago. I didn't mind when I was prepared with a quarter. When they first did it I didn't have a quarter so they lost b/c I had to use a little hand basket. It ended up not lasting long. I actualy made a few quarters by putting back rougue carts!

Haven't seen it in our Joann's......Florida, Gainesville area....

Also would keep my car from getting rammed by a cart that someone didn't return. I'm for it! Been rammed too many times.

Banned
    Not ours, YET

Blog Entries
    I agree ...sick of parking miles away because of people just leaving thier carts here and there...
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Aldi grocery stores in our area does it but you put a quarter in to get the car and when you take it back you get your quarter back, saves from having lots of grocery carts in the parking lot and won't get door bangs on your vehicles this way

I like that idea for a grocery store

We have a grocery store that does that but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    Aldi's does the quarter for cart, I think, to have their carts put
    back where you got it to save the money they would have to pay employees to keep them in place. You get the quarter back when you return the cart to its original place so it costs the customer nothing.
    Not quite - it is yet more jobs lost to the community, and these seemingly little things all add up. Personally, I refuse to help stores cut jobs.

This is not a new thing. In the 70's or 80', quite a few stores tried this as a way to get carts returned (keep them from being stolen), but it didn't go over well and didn't last too long. They must be having a problem if it's being tried again.

In Canada the Superstore requires a loonie ($1.00) to used their carts

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lots of stores around have those. It helps encourage people to return carts because you get your quarter back. Kids love to find unreturned carts and get quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by linken
    In Canada the Superstore requires a loonie ($1.00) to used their carts
    Not my superstore (In Kanata, Ontario)....but our Freshco does but gives your quarter back when you return the cart.

A friend of mine says he usually makes a dollar or so taking carts back that were left in the lot when he goes to Aldi.

in our town, the grocery stores use that method so the carts get returned. There are still carts around, but not as many end up in the ditches and creeks and rivers. When you return the cart you get your money back. Seems like a pretty good method to me. Two stores charge a $1.00 and one is .25. They also have tokens that can be used over and over.

Think what it would save the store, I like it at aldis, I think it would be great.

They've had this in Germany for many years-I think you have to put a Euro coin in. It does protect your car from having run-away carts ramming into it-and you do get the money back when you return it. It's really not such a bad idea. And-they have it at all of the Aldi's in the area.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast