Cast sock pattern?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Cast sock pattern?

Last night DH broke his big toe and the emerg doctor put it in a removable cast this morning. Of course a toe cast isn't just for toes... it's almost to his knee!

What they usually don't think of is that 5 toes hanging out in the breeze in our climate in January is... unkind. So, I'd like to make a sock that can do double duty.

We have wood floors that are going to take a beating with this cast on for the next 2 weeks, and his toes are going to be cold.

Here's what I -think- the requirements are:
1. A sewn pattern, I don't remember how to knit.
2. Some sort of anti slip for traction on the bottom. No point breaking the other leg trying to protect this one.

This is the first time either of us has knowingly broken a bone, so I'm not sure what other requirements there are, so other input is also welcome.

All of the patterns I've seen so far have been knitted. I suppose I could relearn, but I'd have to go out and buy needles and yarn again to replace the ones I donated earlier this year after hanging onto them for 20 years. THIS is why I packrat!!

Since he's home from work, I have the cast here so measurements won't be an issue. I should have a little time with it too, he's conked out on the painkillers they gave him.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

When I had a broken ankle in January, I used the toe end of a woolen sock and used velcro or rubber band to hold it on. If it's a removable cast, it's probable that you can cut the sock to cover just the toe area. It might take a couple of layers (socks) to keep the foot warm. I'm sure you're finding out how important the toes are in maintaining balance. Wish him (and you) a speedy recovery.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Since just the toes are cold, I would look for a child's stocking cap in a dark colour.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanks MaryMo, Perhaps I'll stop in to Walmart or something and pick up a pair of wool socks for him. Knitting in the round strikes me as more challenging than I ever did as a very young knitter.

Tartan, just to clarify... you mean a child's toque? LOL! You're Canadian, so I can say that
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, a toque but I didn't know if everyone would know what that was.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Probably just us northerners I went into the city for my work appointment, got groceries, and totally forgot a toque. I will probably remake something here.

ETA: In other news, I "retaught" myself how to knit and purl. 4 needles pretty much flummoxes me though. I drop 2 stitches at a time every 3 or 4 stitches.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Hah!! I found a pair of wool slippers that I don't wear much anymore and they fit inside his cast. He's going to try them for the day tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Yay!! When i broke my ankle my dd cut sock and sewed ties on ot to tie behind foot to stay on, it was white so she drew duck face on it! Ha ha! I live in N Mich so understand bout cold toes!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 AM

Have you thought about getting some of the socks that have the non skid so to speak rubber dots on them, would that work over the cast and make it so perhaps there is no slipping? Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM

the web site "sewmamasew" has a free pattern for fleece socks which looks easy and should be warm. You can buy non-slip pads to apply to the sole