Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-01-2010, 01:06 PM

My avatar is our rescue - spoiled boy Hero. We have had a total of 5 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats (either from a shelter or showing up on our doorstep). Here is a pic of "Hero the dog" as my DH likes to call him. He even got him a tag for his collar that says that ;)

Hero in the fall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89601[/ATTACH]

2 of our rescues - Hero the dog watching out sewing room window for dad..and Ansel the cat (female)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89602[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-89596.jpe   attachment-89597.jpe  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SulaBug
OH!! :D I just have to show you my new rescue baby girl!! :D We adopted her on July 22nd from the Animal Shelter. After getting her home, she came down with a sever case of puppy Kennel Cough. So, off to the Vet's we went & she is being treated for it now. Today she is much better & we have just fallen head over heals in "LOVE" with her!! Her name is Rose & she weigh's in at a whopping 6 lbs. Enjoy!!
:D :D :D :D
Look at the face, and those eyes! So soulfull! Rose is a good name for her.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 PM

My two rescues "Yorkies", Love them to bits......Michele
Attached Thumbnails attachment-89702.jpe  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM

My avatar is my rescue Foxy 3 years old. Trapped by a farmer who thought it was a real fox eating all the lower ears of corn in his field. Orange County, VA shelter call me and said they has a Pom. I said I'll take him, turns out he is a long haired chihuahua. We have had him 2 years and adore him, he is so laid back and loves when I sew. He loves our 10 year old rescue black Pom named "Bear". I would post his picture but being totally black he doesn't show up too well. They are so special to us.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
My avatar is my rescue Foxy 3 years old. Trapped by a farmer who thought it was a real fox eating all the lower ears of corn in his field. Orange County, VA shelter call me and said they has a Pom. I said I'll take him, turns out he is a long haired chihuahua. We have had him 2 years and adore him, he is so laid back and loves when I sew. He loves our 10 year old rescue black Pom named "Bear". I would post his picture but being totally black he doesn't show up too well. They are so special to us.
Awh! Foxy is soooo cute! We had a little 10 pounds pom who looked just like a little fox. We named him Fox...what else? 8-) He is gone now, but was a real sweetheart. We got him from the SPCA. He was older and was going to be put down soon because no one wanted an older dog.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Thank you he is 6.5 lbs of love! Never realized the difference between a long haired and a short haired chihuahua. Foxy is so laid back, a real couch potato, my shorthair,Hobo, who is gone now, was all fiesty and never slowed down.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Thank you he is 6.5 lbs of love! Never realized the difference between a long haired and a short haired chihuahua. Foxy is so laid back, a real couch potato, my shorthair,Hobo, who is gone now, was all fiesty and never slowed down.
Isn't that funny...our Fox was a true couch potato also! He used to jump up on the back of the couch and snore! He acted more like a cat! Or, we would find him on the rocking chair sleeping all stretched out on his back all four feet in the air. Sure do miss him.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 AM

All of my pets are rescues save my daughter's Guinea pig, and my chihuahua (got him before I knoew of rescues.) My beautiful Egyptian Mau, Missy, was a few days from being put down. I saw her on petfinder.com, and guess what? her shelter was right near where my mom lives. She bailed her out, and brought her to me two and a half hours away. it was meant to be.
I have an orange Garfield cat named Snoo. He was also on death row at a shelter that was very underfunded and had a zillion cats all in line to be put to sleep. It was hard to leave that shelter with only him because there were cages stuffed with little kittnes, and in most cases, their mamas. You know that they did not have a chance. at least ours got away from there.
Our basset, Luke, came from Guardian Angel bassett rescue. I feel in love with him the moment I saw him. he was featured in our local paper as a gust columnist when I used to be a columinst for them. I wrote articles about pets.
Last of all is our Pom. His name is Niko. He came with that name. he came from a rescue that only rescues small dogs, especially Poms. His tetth were mostly rotten out, and he was very fearful. Now he sleeps in a doll bed every night next to my little girl. she wrote a paper about her best friend for her teacher last year and guess who it was? Niko! he also won first place in our neighborhood's Fourt of July dog dress-up contest this year!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:51 AM

It is so wonderful to see all the great hearted and compassionate folks on this board. Kudos!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 AM

I adopted Calico in 2001; race name 'Calicos basket' , she was too timid to run with the other greys.... with out an adoption program she would've been put down for sure.
I had another big beautiful red male; named Nickys Clump.He was a retired champion, unfortunately he got cancer and passed away 3 years ago.. that broke my heart. Every animal I've ever had was a 'foundling' or a shelter animal.My babies over the past 40+ years- Snoogy, Trigger, Biff, Felica, Lady, Bandit, Blackie, Prince, Toby, Charlie,Marco, Ginger, and Inky.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90122.jpe