Charles Sturt University

Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Charles Sturt University

DH is considering getting his master's degree from Charles Sturt University in Australia. We are in the US and he would take his courses online.

Has anyone else studied at this university?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM

I am curious as to why he has chosen this university. We have several universities in the states that offer distance degrees. New York State, for instance offers a distance degree that is a regular NYS degree (as opposed to some schools which label the B.A.s and M.A.s as distance degree programs). Will your husband be taking a specific program that only that school offers? Is he an Australian citizen?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM

DH works for an international company who accredits this university and hubby's industry certifications count towards actual classes in the master's program. DH is an American citizen...born and bred in Texas!

However, we are leary b/c it is an Australian school and are not sure how US business view a degree from this particular university.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM

DH works for an international company who accredits this university and hubby's industry certifications count toward actual classes in the master's program. DH is an American citizen...born and bred in Texas!

However, we are leary b/c it is an Australian school and are not sure how US businesses view a degree from this particular university.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM

I think the key here is to find out how the degree is titled compared to non-distance learning Australian degrees and then compare those to the American degrees both distance and non-distance. Some US schools have distance learning degrees that indicate on the degree that they are distance degrees. Some schools do not. From my experience, employers like to see traditional degrees (school is less important) not distance learning degrees. So, they may take a candidate with a traditional degree from a lesser known school over a distance degree from a better known school. Of course, that begs the question, would an employer rather have someone without the master's or someone with a master's from a distance learning program.

I will say, though, that it also depends on the field too. I think the perception is changing slowly but I think there is still a little bias out there. This is a very tricky topic because the market is so tight that employers use many factors to rule out or enhance a candidate. School reputation is certainly a factor. My degree is from a school on Long Island. Because local employers know the reputation of the school they like to see that school on a resume. When I've applied for positions outside of New York, they don't care as much about the reputation of the school but they like that it is a private school in New York. So in your husband's case an American employer may like the fact that he has the master's degree above or more than the reputation of the school and/or the fact that is a distance degree. An Australian employer may like fact that you have the degree from that specific school and it doesn't matter that it was obtained in a non-traditional manner.

I hope what I'm saying is making sense. I've spent so many hours going over all of the ins and outs of this sort of thing and it can get confusing. I think ultimately it is better to have the degree than to not have it. As long as the school does not have a reputation of being a financial aid mill.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM

I'm sure your husband has researched something about this university here in Australia, but here is a link to some general information. There are quite a few other sites on the web about the Uni as well. I don't know anything about this particular Uni but I know that there are many strong links between Uni's in Australia and USA. Many have set up partnerships, and exchanged lecturers and teachers, many offer exchange student oportunities, and scholarships to students. My daughter studied in USA uni's and her degrees are recognised here in Australia. Good luck to your husband and I hope he enjoys the study experience if he decides to go ahead.

http://www.australian-universities.com/info/17/csu/
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM

I put in australian universities ranking and found this school rated as 1.88 and schools like Uof Au in the 4.+. Looks like a possible paper mill--be careful!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM

I'd definitely do some serious researching on the school/universities there are so many Colleges and Universities in the US that are more than willing to offer distance learning education. I'm doing my bridge currently online for my BSN program in nursing and I only need to go into campus once a month.