Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Check Your Bank Statements for New Charges

Power Poster

Check Your Bank Statements for New Charges

Check your bank statements for new charges.

Some of them change the 'rules' and start deducting for charges that you were not expecting.

Be SURE to read your statement EVERY MONTH.

That's why I belong to a credit union. Unfortunately through the years I have seen them get more like banks, but they still have different rules and supposedly are owned by the depositors.

I don't know if that makes me a communist or something, but I don't care if the bottom line is in my favor.
    Arlene

My unfavorite one is when they charge you for not using you account to get this "protect you" from people stealing from your account, but who is going to protect me from the banks stealing from my account

Quote Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
    That's why I belong to a credit union. Unfortunately through the years I have seen them get more like banks, but they still have different rules and supposedly are owned by the depositors.

I don't know if that makes me a communist or something, but I don't care if the bottom line is in my favor.
    I'll ONLY bank with credit unions. Yes, they've changed some over the years, but I still think they're the lesser of two evils (so to speak).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    How do you like this one. I was informed that there would now be a charge to update my book but there was no charge for mailing me my statement. What the heck??? I said mail that sucker out!

Blog Entries
    Many banks are going to charge for sending out statements or you having a certain amount all month long to avoid a fee. Last time I visited the bank, I was asked to stay to talk with a banker about changes coming up??? My account was grandfathered in when the bank was bought out, to me that means staying a free account with no mim balance.
    I think it's sad how banks etc think they can rob us of money when they think they need the million $$ bonus etc.

We use a credit union.

Power Poster
    Or the letter that starts out by saying

"For your convenience, we are now going to start charging $X for services we used to not charge our customers for"

It was YEARS before I realized that banks are lending out MY (the depositors) money to other people - and that the 'interest paid' is really just 'rent payments' for using it!

We use the military equivalent of the credit union - USAA. Though we never used Bank of America, when I saw they were going to charge for using a debit card, I switched the same month. I knew it was just the beginning of all banks!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    My last bank paid me 20 cents for each of my auto-pays every month and all my debit card purchases.-they called it 'GreenSense' But my car/home insurance co. charged me $2 every month for getting their payment this way -which was cheaper than the $5 for processing a paper check or the $15 extra if it was late.So keep your eyes open for the other outfits who want special fee's for taking your payments.

Also, did you know even after you close a bank account, the bank can re-open it and start charging you fees, if a deposit or withdrawal is attempted? It is called a zombie account.

I say good luck trying to get me to pay any fees when my balance is zero. What are they going to do, put a black mark on my "permanent record"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Also, did you know even after you close a bank account, the bank can re-open it and start charging you fees, if a deposit or withdrawal is attempted? It is called a zombie account.

I say good luck trying to get me to pay any fees when my balance is zero. What are they going to do, put a black mark on my "permanent record"?
    Yes. I did this years ago, I was unhappy with a bank so I moved all my accounts to a different institution. They charged me $140 worth of fees and it went on my credit report - and STAYED there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arleners View Post

Me too. I've been a member of a credit union for 22 years and there is not a damn thing the banks can do that will get me to change. They've offered me $100 to open a checking account, I just laugh and hang up. And I don't think it makes you a communist, I think it makes you a savvy consumer!

Blog Entries
    Just call them Loan Sharks, Somehow they manage to get away with this, and then they cry "Bailout".
    Mary

Blog Entries
    You have to watch the banks, I have a cd for a good amount and it was not listed, on my statement. The one teller
    sent me to an office person , she did not see it, another offic person and she found it. By law they do not have to
    put all accounts, cd etc. but once a year. I said, well I want them listed every month as it has always been. She said
    she would. Another person I talked to said if you have an account that has not been active in 2 yrs. they take off by new law, and you have to go reinstate it. She said they have been having trouble with people borrowing money from
    accounts and plan to replace it, but don't always. This would be people working at the bank. She said it is getting bad. You have to go to bank and tell them prove it, and don't take any silly excuses, they have to cover for the bank.

I have absolutely no loyalty to a bank. Once they start taking away features and charging fees, I'm off to a different bank that treats me better. So far I have always found a better bank.

everyone should quit their banks and go to credit unions
    But its a Dry Heat!

Blog Entries
    My credit union started charging me $5 per month for not using my acct. Didn't notice for 3 months & lost1/2 the acct. Finally closed it. So they r no better than the banks

I don't understand how I can use my check card to make a purchase, and the money is removed from my account immediately. BUT, if i return an item it takes 3 days for it to reappear in my account.
    danna

I bury my money!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsWiggs View Post
    My credit union started charging me $5 per month for not using my acct. Didn't notice for 3 months & lost1/2 the acct. Finally closed it. So they r no better than the banks
    Depends on the credit union. We belonged to 2 different credit unions in 2 different states, one of them started charging a monthly fee so we dropped them. I've been a member of the other credit union for 24 years.