Childhood Treats

Old 08-15-2014, 03:16 AM

I stayed with a neighbor while my parents went to work. She would let me put any color food coloring in my breakfast cream of wheat ! I always chose blue.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:21 AM
dd

I was at a friend's house one day and she asked if I wanted some peanut butter. I thought she meant a pb sandwich. No, she took a wax paper sandwich bag, put her hand inside and smeared it with pb. She handed me a bag and I thought she had lost her mind. We licked pb off our bags all afternoon. Best invention ever. No bread to get in the way & fill you up.lol
Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 AM

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. The best to make you feel better. Also graham crackers and hot milk tea with my grandmother.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 AM

Scraps of pie crust sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked...YUM!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
One of my favorite childhood treats was called Junket. It was sort of like pudding but much lighter. Came in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. It was in little boxes and you mixed it with milk. Anyone else heard of this? Do they still make it? Wonder if I'd still like it--yep! Anything chocolate I'd like LOL.
I still buy Junket. We called it Danish Dessert. Same product. My mom made it and when it was still warm would drop a marshmallow on the top. It would melt slightly. Yummy. I made it for my kiddos and they have passed on the joy to their children, my grands. Santa has been know to slip in a package of Raspberry Junket into Christmas stockings. He is such a wise old dude.

I have never seen the any other flavors than Strawberry or raspberry. It is not at all like jello but more like a clear pudding but oh, so rich with flavor!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
I remember Junket, toast soldiers, Dream Whip and Merri-Mints.

I loved Fizzies, (a tablet you dropped in water to make a drink).

Space Food Sticks were another favorite.
I was wondering if anyone would mention Fizzies. My favorite! I would just love to sneak one out of the package when mom was not looking and set it on my tongue and let it fizz till it hurt then spit it out into a glass of water. Children do silly things but at 6 years of age, I thought I was being so daring, sly and clever!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
One of my favorite childhood treats was called Junket. It was sort of like pudding but much lighter. Came in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. It was in little boxes and you mixed it with milk. Anyone else heard of this? Do they still make it? Wonder if I'd still like it--yep! Anything chocolate I'd like LOL.

Yes, they still make it. You can find in some stores with the pudding mixes.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

If I have a bowl of cereal, I like a really hot piece of buttered toast an dip it into the milk and cereal. I don't put a lot of milk on my cereal but DH does so he can drink the leftover milk right out of the bowl. He did this in front of our nephews little kids once. There eyes got so big. Their dad put their left over milk into a small cup till they got bigger and were able to drink from the bowl. Cinnamon toast sounds good right now!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Believe it or not, Junket is still sold in my area.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM

On very special days for dessert we would get ice cream cones (flat bottom ones) filled with fruit cocktail. We always thought we'd died and gone to heaven. The other special treat was fried home made bread. It was the best.