Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a Fiberglass tub ?

Blog Entries
    i just had to have this tub, 20 years ago..
    i hate it i hate cleaning it. it is textured a bit too.

what do you use to clean a fiber glass tub?

do you think a magic eraser would work? any other cleaners out there that may work?

what about once i get it cleaned..if i can.

has anyone used those spray cleaners things, that attaches to your showerhead, and you turn it on and it sprays in a circle?

bending over and cleaning a tub is gonna be hard..i have Fibro, and it is not easy to do alot of scrubbing.

Blog Entries
    I hope someone has some answers, I need them also.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I had one and we had a problem with the water, there was rust in it and the water company was going to replace the tub because the rust was their fault. I happend to love orange oil to polish furniture. I had a bottle of orange juice it was the kind on the grocery shelf not in the refrigerator section. I decided to dump the bottle of OJ in the tub with the stopper in and I took and rag and made sure all the walls were soaked. It was a 1 piece tub and walls. I let it sit for about a 1/2 hour then hosed the walls and filled the tub with HOT water leaving the OJ in it. I left that sit for awhile and then drained it low and behole the tub looked brand new. I kid you not. All the texture on the bottom was cleaned too. After that the ONLY thing I used and still use the tub in this house is acrylic is Comet spray tub and tile cleaner. Spray it on let it sit and rinse it clean. No bending or scrubbing.

Blog Entries
    cleaning recommendations would be easier if we knew just what it is you are trying to clean out of it...soap scum? hard water build up/lime? fabric dyes? dirt?
    my deep fiberglass sink i pour about 1/2 a gallon of bleach into, finish filling with hot water, and let it set...til i'm ready to deal with it again...then i simply take a sponge on a handle and scrub around with it, drain, rinse...beautiful until the next time. but it depends on what is wrong with yours what is going to work.

trupeach1 -- that's the first time I've heard of that solution -- and the only one I haven't tried!!! I'll buy some orange oil next time I'm at the store....hope it'll help our tubs!!! thanks!

I hear Coke will clean toilets, why not tubs? It's supposed to have many uses, why not try. Once it's clean consider using car wax on it to keep it clean.

I have a fiberglass laundry tub that cleans up very well with Clorox Cleanup spray cleaner.

one of my favs is to fill with about 1/2 inch of water and throw in a handfull of denture cleaning tablets. leave it sit for a few hours. Then swab the sides with the water. Smells nice too. Works great on coffee pots, toilets and sinks too.

We have a fiberglass tub with jets (used it twice-what a waste) but the easiest way I've found to clean it is to fill it with hot water and add 1 cup powdered dishwasher soap, let it set for an hour or so then drain and rinse a couple of times. To keep soap scum from building on it and glass doors, wipe them down with a fabric softener sheet. Been doing it this way for 7 yrs since installed and it looks like new. No bending, scouring, etc.--I like easy! I do this to the whole surround-it's used daily cause the shower is there too.

for hard water I use.......white vinigar. I heat it up a little bit and then toss it on the walls of the shower/tub. I use a non scratching scrubby to wipe all surfaces down.

We use Clean Shower (Arm & Hammer). Just spray it around the top when you're finished with your shower and you very rarely have to do anything with it again. It will take some time, but if you spray the shower a couple of times a day, it will eventually clean it up. Had a rental with a fiberglass shower stall that I was sure that we would have to replace, but used this over a period of a week and a half and it looked like new.

oh careful with that car wax momymom... that woudl sure make it slick!

I have used those hangin the show and it does sprays and cleans on it's on.....the dispenser kept getting knocked off the shower head and finially broke the hanger.. had 2 that way, never tried it again... I prayed the shower down with the stuff after the dispensers broke.. but couldn't see that it helped any....

I have a " scrubby " on a handle I use. Bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond I think... have seen them in catologs too tho.. I love it.. no bending.. the pad looks like the kitchen sponge with the nonscratch stuff on it.. I use either orange oil or " awesome" from the dollar store spray it on and let it set for a few minutes....

Also, we have a squeegie we use after each shower.. takes off the bulk of the water from thw upright walls and really cuts done on how often it needs cleaning ( from soap scum to ring)

When I had the Jucuzzi tub.. our manufacture recommended to put a cup of bleach in the tub of water and run the jets once a month... then turn off the jets and drain the tub.. kept the alge from growing in the jets... we never had a problem with the tub!

I think that once you get it clean the shower spray cleaner that hangs in the tub works fine I have one and like it just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i just had to have this tub, 20 years ago..
    i hate it i hate cleaning it. it is textured a bit too.

what do you use to clean a fiber glass tub?

do you think a magic eraser would work? any other cleaners out there that may work?

what about once i get it cleaned..if i can.

has anyone used those spray cleaners things, that attaches to your showerhead, and you turn it on and it sprays in a circle?

bending over and cleaning a tub is gonna be hard..i have Fibro, and it is not easy to do alot of scrubbing.

NOT orange oil, plain orange juice from the fridge section.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    trupeach1 -- that's the first time I've heard of that solution -- and the only one I haven't tried!!! I'll buy some orange oil next time I'm at the store....hope it'll help our tubs!!! thanks!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Magic Eraser all the way. We have an old textured bottom tub and I Erase it all the time.

My MIL uses the automatic cleaner in her shower. It does look good. Of course, she may be showering in the other bathroom to keep that one pretty. She would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    I hear Coke will clean toilets, why not tubs? It's supposed to have many uses, why not try. Once it's clean consider using car wax on it to keep it clean.
    I'm afraid my family would flip out when they walked in and saw me licking my bathtub!!

I love Coke!! :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    one of my favs is to fill with about 1/2 inch of water and throw in a handfull of denture cleaning tablets. leave it sit for a few hours. Then swab the sides with the water. Smells nice too. Works great on coffee pots, toilets and sinks too.
    WOW! lots of great tips to try!

i have done that with the toilet. Jerry Baker tip. Never thought to use the denture cleaners in the tub.

We are talking about regular old dirt,soap scum, body oils..etc.

i have curtains, no shower doors. but i do know that using a hand car wax on them, and squeege works great! (my brother does this)

The orange juice, i can see working. citric/citrus acid works good in the dishwasher. the old "tang" trick works.

i will give a few things a try. thanks so much!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    NO IT IS ORANGE JUICE not oil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mzsooz
    Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    I'm afraid my family would flip out when they walked in and saw me licking my bathtub!!

I love Coke!! :-D :-D
    they should be thankful you're not licking the toilet!!!!!!!!

Magic erasers work Perfectly for the tub with my back issues I can have the tub clean in less than 5 minutes!!

If I cleaned mine with coke,I'd be setting in there with a straw.Not the potty,just the tub.

My husband and I buy repo houses. This last one had a large, textured bottom tub that was really nasty. I used several dryer sheets and my long handled, new toilet bowl brush to try and save the tub. I wet my dryer sheet, put it over the end of the brush (so I could reach across that big tub) and scrubbed. It was amazing how clean that tub came out so we didn't have the expense of installing a new tub.

I know you can clean the inside of a dishwasher with TANG orange drink. Might work in the bathroom too.

I clean vacant rentals and I use a magic eraser and especially if there are shower doors. Makes the tubs, shower surrounds and doors sparkle.

Blog Entries
    There is a product called Gel-Gloss that I use to clean our acrylic tub. It can be found at home improvement stores and is also used to clean marble. It comes in spray or liquid form and works like car wax (put it on, buff it off). It works well but is kind of a pain to use! It does keep our tub clean for a long time though...just watch because it can make surfaces a bit slippery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast