Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cliches'...."pay it forward" >

Cliches'...."pay it forward"

Cliches'...."pay it forward"

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
Baby bump, I say pregnant. The one that really gets me is "I'm on a fixed income". This usually comes from retirees. I don't work anymore by choice. When I did, if I was going to be over 40 hrs for the week, I had to 'kill' time so there wasn't any OT. My husband is salary. Right now he is putting between 60-70 hrs a week in. He does not get OT-fixed income. Depending on the conversation, some people think they are exclusive because of their 'fixed income'. I just roll my eyes and laugh.
Not everyone who retires does so by choice, many are forced to because of health reasons. When that happens you are certainly on a "fixed" income because the government controls your income. Also please don't roll your eyes because it is no laughing matter. Until you have walked in that persons shoes you are in no position to judge. Just be thankful you were fortune enough to retire by choice.

Last edited by MissM; 05-29-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I have been blessed many times over and if can pass along some happiness to others I will gladly "pay it forward". It doesn't mean money it means something from your heart.
fixed income is something most retired people are on and if you are not you have been blessed.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
My pet peeve is "from the get go." What is wrong with the word "begin" and its variations?
And I have to admit, when I hear the cliche "pay it forward" means someone is expecting something in return. There was a series of books about it for a while. My husband thought they were wonderful, because giving aways always brought good things back. I finally asked if he ever did anything that he didn't expect something in return? It wasn't in any of the books I read.

And for the friend rather than a gift card to a restaurant - it would depend on the presentation. Is her birthday soon? Can you just send it to her anonymously?
Yes, I think I can get it to one of her work places without her knowing it was me. Just don't want to make things awkward.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:10 AM

I don't think the buzzwords matter that much. Let them say it however they want. My position is: You can never be too kind to too many people in one lifetime, but it's a good idea to try. So share, even if it's only a smile.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

PatriceJ ... Well put! I also agree with cookyN ... So sick of political and academic buzz words. Skip all the buzz and just do what needs to be done
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MissM View Post
Not everyone who retires does so by choice, many are forced to because of health reasons. When that happens you are certainly on a "fixed" income because the government controls your income. Also please don't roll your eyes because it is no laughing matter. Until you have walked in that persons shoes you are in no position to judge. Just be thankful you were fortune enough to retire by choice.

I was not 'fortunate' to quit-had no choice and had to quit do to health reasons. As long as SS does not run out of money, the checks keep coming. Might not be much but it is a check. I will continue to roll my eyes because as I said, my husbands check is just as fixed as a retiree's. Roof over our heads, food on the table and since I quit (at age 49) happy days. I worked at that 'biggest retailer' so that says a lot if you watch the evening news. I let go $1400 a month and insurance for piece of mind and it was worth every penny. So I guess you can say I fixed my income. I will officially retire in 15 yrs.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
The only ones I can think of offhand are "baby bump", and when they combine a celebrity couple's name, such as Brangelina or Kimye. Ugh.
The name combos don't really bother me but I am sick to death of "baby bump".

Still, my sister and I often look at each other and say - how did we get so lucky? We were born in a country and era where women are free to be themselves. We have never been hungry or gone without anything of importance. If either of us had been born a hundred years earlier it could have been very different. In all probability I would have been dead at the age of 10. My sister would have succumbed later but still done so.

So, I might not use some of the terms like pay it forward, etc. but I do try to share my good fortune with others less fortunate and I know my sister does as well.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:06 AM

I don't like those catch phrases either. I prefer the Golden Rule.

I certainly don't credit myself for my good fortune any more than I would credit myself for bad fortune.

From childhood I was taught to thank God every day for the food on the table, my family watching over me, any talents I possess, and any opportunities I am given. Today I am thankful for a healthy family, a thriving business, and wonderful friends.

I don't count kindnesses I get and I don't count generosities I give, and I don't mete out good deeds like some Paypal transaction, but every time people treat each other well, the world is a better place. So let them say whatever phrase suits them if they behave well.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I say every once in a while. If I'm standing in line at the grocery and some one has a child and only a few items much less than I, I will let them go ahead, then tell them to "pay it forward".
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM

I like to hear the term "paying it forward" as it causes me and I hope others, to think about how our actions affect others. I think if someone is fortunate to receive a "Pay it forward", they, in turn will want to "pay it forward". I think it sets a good example.....