Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    It's all about convenience. People will pay A LOT of money for convenience, real or perceived. Look at the "meals" in the freezer section of the store. DH and I have a laugh over frozen, precooked pancakes. But someone must be buying them.
    Actually the one that gets me is the PB &J sandwiches. For real??? I don't buy the pancakes but I do the waffles.. But I have frozen my own pancakes .

Quote Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
    Say what you will, but how I wish there had been disposable diapers back when I had my children. I would not wish diaper buckets, daily laundry, folding dozens of diapers on anyone!
    I remember cleaning out dirty diapers with my youngest brother And at the time we didn't have running water. When the first disposables came out when I had my first kid you can bet I jumped on those. Being the oldest of 6 kids there was no way I was going to rinse/ soak /wash diapers again.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    ok, quess I may be the oldest here.....no one else seems to remember hemming fabric to make diapers.....and it was easy for me because I had an electric sewing machine.

disposable may not be all that new...American Indians used the fluff inside the catail plants
    They used fluff from cattail plants cuz leather just was NOT absorbant!!!! LOL
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I used cloth diapers on all 4 of my kids. Loved them. It doen't really take that long to wash them. If i didn't have the time to fold them I would just use them straight from the laundry basket. MY 2 oldest got the most awful diaper rash from disposables it required a trip to the doctor. With the 2 youngest I did use some disposables when we were out. I can understand day cares not using cloth what would they do with all the dirty ones.
    Everything these days is for convenience. Hardly anyone cooks from scratch either. We had 6 people in the house and had less then half of the garbage every week of the neighbors with 3 people. All the boxes and packaging from convenience foods. Lots of ways to make less garbage not just diapers.

Power Poster
    I prefered cloth diapers for my children but I did use disposable for when I was out. I had no intension of carrying around dirty diapers when out visiting, going to restaurants or on vacation. My children had very sensitive skin and would break out from the chemicals used in disposables so they were for occasional use only.

I used cloth diapers for my kids but I'd be surprised to see today's young mothers use them. They are the ones who are so "go green" but they must not realize how fast the disposables fill up the landfills.

dd
    I used cloth on my two. I remember my mom babysitting lots of kids and they all used cloth diapers. The moms would leave at the end of the day with a bread bag, or something else like that, full of dirty diapers. My mom would wash them out but they went home with the parents at the end of the day.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    My DD started out with the cloth diapers but very quickly changed over to the others. Thank goodness it is time to start potty training DGD.
    So did I. Not sure why she switched, but despite my constant vigilance, my infant ended up with terrible diaper rash from cloth diapers and the plastic over pants. His poor little behind was fairly peeling away. As soon as I changed to disposable, the rash went away, and his little butt was nice and baby soft again. So, I don't care how much it costs - or if it's filling up the landfills - if I can save my child from the terrible skin rash, I will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.
    Yes, I used them for both of my kids. Even back then, my friends thought I was NUTS to use cloth diapers instead of disposable but I just couldn't bring myself to put paper diapers on my kid. Laundering & the all wasn't so awful. It's just what you decide to do. Let alone the cost! And all those diapers in the landfills! Plus I still have (& use) those diapers all these years later. They're great soft cloths!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    Actually the one that gets me is the PB &J sandwiches. For real??? I don't buy the pancakes but I do the waffles.. But I have frozen my own pancakes .
    I buy the frozen waffles, too. What kills me are the pre-cut carrots. How long does it take to peel & slice up a carrot for Pete's sake?!?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Considering all the bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can be expelled in poop, I'd never use cloth diapers.
    Tomorrow I must stop procrastinating.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.
    I liked these the best and had used them for my 3 sons who now are 46, 54 and 56 years of age. Think disposable diapers were introduced when the 46 year old was still in diapers, used them when we went visiting or on trips.
    Picked up two of them a few years ago at a garage sale to use as pressing cloths. I keep them hidden so DH doesn't pick them up to use as rags.

My DS and his wife use a diaper similar to Babykicks. It's all prefolded with a protective outer layer and uses Velcro to hold it closed. They come in various sizes just like the disposable ones and are a little costly to get started but they last and last. It was an economic as well as green decision. They tried the simple cloth diapers that we used on them but found this type more absorbent with fewer leaks.

Blog Entries
    FYI - you can buy bird's eye cloth and other diaper fabrics - just cut to size!
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Blog Entries
    Plus you can't use the paper ones for dusters for years & years after the kids outgrow them! In Australia 40 yrs ago they were at least 24" and the thickest flannel!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

elm
    Everything is so much more expensive that I wonder how young couples or single parents cope. Maybe cloth at home and paper for day care might lower the costs, but time to do the added wash may be a problem for a full time worker.

You have to factor in the smell, time, ease of use and the carrying of that heavy diaper pail for 3 years. I would choose the disposable any time.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: language

I also passed the link to this thread to my GD. She is in the process of making cloth diapers after seeing the prices of purchasing the ready made ones. I will have to ask her what materials she used in the construction because she did mention buying a couple of shower curtains from Goodwill to use in the liners because the waterproof fabric normally used is quite spendy. She also raided my stash for fabric and took a couple of unused bed underpads that had not been used for my mother.
    Sweet Caroline

My niece makes her son's cloth diapers and diaper covers. You can't find rubber pants. She even makes her own laundry soap.
    She is a stay at home Mom and did the math and found it is cheaper to do cloth diapers.
    I remember when my kids were babies and we only had cloth diapers. Kids never got a diaper rash and it was so easy to potty train..no body wants to sit in wet.
    Pampers just came out and you only used then for trips ,if you used them all the time,it was implied you were not a 'good mom'...lol
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

I used cloth diapers for all of my kids. It was so much cheaper. I even cut the laundry cost by line drying them so that was free. With 6 kids, I washed a lot of diapers but all I really did was throw them in the washer and the machine did the work. I did use disposable diaper when we were away from home as a convience but the cost savings of the cloth diapers really made a difference for our budget.

My DD and I just found my stash of her cloth diapers in the attic. She is 30. I must have washed those diapers thousands of times. I had no dryer and hung them out to dry. She remembered running through the lines of diapers when she was little. She was amazed, but says she will try to use cloth diapers on her children if she ever has any.

I used cloth diapers on all three of mine, 30 years ago it was still considered "uncool" to use cloth but I had no choice. I just had other places to spend that money.
    My DD recently had a baby and is very eco minded. She wanted to go with cloth because it is so much better for the environment but day care doesn't allow it and she needs full time day care so she's out of luck, there are brands of paper diapers that are better than some other brands for the enviiroment.
    She did her research and says that she gets the cheapest price on diapers by being on Amazon.com's diaper plan. You also get free shippiing the first year. Second year they chose amazon prime at an up front cost of 75.00 (i think thats the figure) per year and get free shipping through that program.

It is easier to tell when baby is wet and needs changing with cloth diapers. The disposables are not so easy to tell, and baby gets diaper rash more often from wearing wet, stinky diapers longer!

1st Great Grandbaby on the way and we've already purchased 5 dozen cloth diapers. My kids weren't traumatized by them and neither will the baby. LOL

Mom and Dad are on a tight budget.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
    It is easier to tell when baby is wet and needs changing with cloth diapers. The disposables are not so easy to tell, and baby gets diaper rash more often from wearing wet, stinky diapers longer!
    A big, big YES to cloth diapers for many reasons: cost, no diaper rash, environmentally friendly, no trouble washing a pail full, wonderful to hang on line and dry in the sun, last years and years, can be easily found at places like "Other Mothers" stores, Mothers exchange web sites, play groups etc.. My daughter who works full time uses them and so did I and all the mothers we knew.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast