Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Cloth diapers versus paper diapers

Another thread got me to thinking and researching (yeah, I'm too lazy this morning to Really work). I found a chart that had the cost of cloth diapers versus paper diapers over a 3 yr period. Wow - what a difference!

First year for cloth (including purchasing diapers, laundry bill, pail, etc) is $357.00 --- the third year is $104.00

First year for paper (including the above) $1054 ----- the third year is $1019.

Big difference!

I didn't do the research for the #s --- you can find it here: http://shop.fuzzibunz.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1869
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

sent on to my daughter. that is shocking.

Thanks for starting this conversation. Today's mothers do not realize there is a choice.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

It's all about convenience. People will pay A LOT of money for convenience, real or perceived. Look at the "meals" in the freezer section of the store. DH and I have a laugh over frozen, precooked pancakes. But someone must be buying them.

My DD started out with the cloth diapers but very quickly changed over to the others. Thank goodness it is time to start potty training DGD.

Power Poster
    Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
    Thanks for starting this conversation. Today's mothers do not realize there is a choice.
    Sadly, there's not always a choice 24-7. Near me I know of no day care centers that accept cloth diapers. So if the mom works, then she usually has to use disposable diapers if someone other than a family member is watching the baby.

My oldest daughter is using cloth diapers for my grand daughter. I think the third daughter will as well when the time comes. Daughter #2 do not have a washer and dryer. Though they just moved last week and will get them in the next couple weeks. She may switch since she has my #3 grandbaby in the oven! She does work outside the home but only part time and so far her DH watches Isaac 2 days a week and she switches with a girlfriend for another day, so have not had to put him in a day care center

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
    Sadly, there's not always a choice 24-7. Near me I know of no day care centers that accept cloth diapers. So if the mom works, then she usually has to use disposable diapers if someone other than a family member is watching the baby.
    That's too bad!!!!!! I know working mothers are hampered on this. And I know good old diapers are hard to find. Too bad they don't make them economically like I had.....I did a Google search (LOVE Google) and found they just don't seem to exist. Seems they think all diapers have to have an extra padding in the middle. Just think -- if someone produced regular old diapers, we wouldn't have to us so many paper towels, either!!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Also, Beth, daughter #1 says that Naomi stays drier and has less blowouts with the cloth diapers. She does not need to use as many. Yes, she is running laundry almost daily so there are additional costs because of that. She really really likes the "Fuzzibunz" brand of cloth diapers.
    Last edited by Jim's Gem; 06-15-2012 at 09:01 AM.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
    Yes, my dau was just told they would not accept a child in cloth diapers at the child care center on military base where she is stationed.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.
    Curity diapers were the best! I used to embroider on them and really miss them. Curity has been bought out and discontinued...not sure by who, but Gerber has a decent one similar to the Curity.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

My daughter in law was informed that day care will only accept disposible diapers....but, I may use cloth when I have the baby...it will be a whole lot cheaper for me to just buy a dz cloth diapers instead of package after package of disposible.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

for me the conveinence was well worth the cost . My time is valuable too. My GKs are all in disposable, yes it can get expensive but it makes the mommas life easier all the way around.

As far as "who" would buy frozen waffles- people like my mom. elderly, still living on her own but no longer feels comfortable cooking. she can pop those in the toaster and hvave a nice breakfast on her own.

And lets not forget the cost to the Land fill!!!!!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    for me the conveinence was well worth the cost . My time is valuable too. My GKs are all in disposable, yes it can get expensive but it makes the mommas life easier all the way around.

As far as "who" would buy frozen waffles- people like my mom. elderly, still living on her own but no longer feels comfortable cooking. she can pop those in the toaster and have a nice breakfast on her own.
    my post mentioned frozen pancakes - frozen waffles have been around forever and I have been known to eat one or two on occasion.

Pancake mix, you can even get in a spray can and spray your pancakes into the pan!! What will they think of next!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I think the only ones you can find these days are the Bird's Eye cloth diapers and some of them are pre-folded. When my kids came along (50 years ago) I used the long gauze ones but I folded them in three layers and sewed the sides to make "almost" pre-folded diapers. They dried (on the line) pretty fast back then. Mothers now days don't even know what a cloth diaper looks like. What a waste of money on paper diapers!!
    Last edited by maryb44662; 06-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    MaryB

I have several stores locally and one big box store that carries the prefolded and the flat cloth diapers...
    I always buy a package of the prefolds and pretty them up for burp clothes/etc for the baby showers... and I love emb on the flat cloth diapers...

I don't think I would even consider using cloth.. The add expense is well worth it..

My daughter has used cloth diapers with her baby (she's almost a year old now). They are very pleased with them. They did it due to expense of pampers as well as the environmental impact. Know their daughter has only had diaper rash once. It does involve a bit more time but I know they would do it again.

Say what you will, but how I wish there had been disposable diapers back when I had my children. I would not wish diaper buckets, daily laundry, folding dozens of diapers on anyone!
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

My kids were 50/50 with cloth diapers and disposable. The day care wanted to use disposable and I would use the cloth at home. It worked out well, and I had enough to wash with just the ones at home. It was great when I had a diaper service but that was more expensive than disposable ones.

My niece had twins, she works full time as an emergency room RN, she used disposable diapers as there are just so many hours left in the day. Also her husband works 7 days a week doing farm work.

Blog Entries
    I still have some thin cloth diapers from decades ago. i use them to dust with.
    when i had my son, my hubby's fellow employees set us up with a diaper service. wonderful thing to have!! they were cloth diapers too!!

Ok, I'm old. I used cloth on my oldest daughter, now 34, and used those wonderful Curity diaper liners that could be flushed for #2. Plastic pants were a pain, they were expensive for the good ones, but they lasted a lot longer when washed and dried with the diapers. Some were made out of the same fabric rubberized sheets (Like mattress pads for cribs) and they were my favorite. My second daughter had rash from cloth, no matter what detergent I changed to, and KMart's store brand disposable worked best for her. The third daughter also had skin issues and we used "Luvs" on her overnight and cloth during the day. When the first grandaughter came along, we used cloth, she got a rash from paper diapers. The babysitter would not use the cloth, so she had to provide disposables during the day, but used cloth at home and at night. If she went somewhere over a weekend and used cloth, the child was a red, bumpy mess! None of the other four grandchildren had the experience of cloth diapers. Maybe they'll wind up in a museum one day!

Blog Entries
    ok, quess I may be the oldest here.....no one else seems to remember hemming fabric to make diapers.....and it was easy for me because I had an electric sewing machine.

disposable may not be all that new...American Indians used the fluff inside the catail plants

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast