Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clothing Protectors aka Adult Bibs

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Look nice.I also want to see the back - and a small drawing of the pattern - if you are willing to share it.

Remember the bibs for babies that were made from the little fingertip towels that had a hole cut in them and ribbing and they went over baby's head? They were great - unless the bib got really really gooey.
    I've made many of these with the ribbing at the neck, and my daughter loved them for her day care. Kids can't pull them off. And if they get "really really gooey", roll them up from the bottom before you take them off over the head.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Ok I said I would. YES, to a girl that is a church member and is getting married. Happy for her. she wants a bib to go over her wedding dress so she doesn't stain it.. going to a Italian Restaurant!!! I got on the internet this am and still on it.. PM I just didn't think, now why not, you ask, that there were so many ways to make one. Yes I need to make it.. her budget hasn't got the cash in it t buy. So, me and my mouth say yes.. I need help ladies. Please let me know what web site offers a free easy pattern. Thanks so much. I'm thinking about suede like microfiber fabric???

Blog Entries
    great idea. they look nice
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    If you aren't overly worried about "looking nice" - I would go with inexpensive terry towels -

If you do cut-outs for the neck - bind them with bias binding.

Or you could do like the dental offices do - use a rectangle and then clips that fasten it to the garment.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maycharlie View Post
    Ok I said I would. YES, to a girl that is a church member and is getting married. Happy for her. she wants a bib to go over her wedding dress so she doesn't stain it.. going to a Italian Restaurant!!! I got on the internet this am and still on it.. PM I just didn't think, now why not, you ask, that there were so many ways to make one. Yes I need to make it.. her budget hasn't got the cash in it t buy. So, me and my mouth say yes.. I need help ladies. Please let me know what web site offers a free easy pattern. Thanks so much. I'm thinking about suede like microfiber fabric???
    How much does that fabric cost?

How large does she want them?

One can get microtex cleaning cloths from cleaning supply companies. Bro-tex has them - I think they end up costing a little less if one buys them by the dozen.

Those are so nice looking, I think I'll make some for my MIL.

Is there a pattern anywhere for the top of this adult bib..... I sew very little but can follow a pattern

Quote Originally Posted by toot4toot9 View Post
    Is there a pattern anywhere for the top of this adult bib..... I sew very little but can follow a pattern
    This bib was an enlargement/tweaked from a pattern for children. I will mail the pattern and directions to anyone who wants it. You can PM me with your info.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

A quick note about this bib. I originally made them where the neck area was sewed closed, but because everyone's head isn't the same size, that didn't work out in some cases. So then we tried velcro. But the "ripping" sound distressed people with alzheimer's and dimentia. I didn't do ties because I didn't think ties could withstand the constant washing. So I settled on elastic and that turned out to be the best option. And it's easily replaced when it gets worn out.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    our guild made "dinner scarves"--a long "scarf" that is narrower around the neck (about 2-3") and gets wider on the ends that cover the chest/stomach(about 8-9")--easy to drape over someone's neck/shoulder and grown-up enough to be useful at restaurants, etc There's a sample if you google dinner scarves. We made our own patterns.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, lalaland, received your pattern yesterday. Sent you a PM

Blog Entries
    These are pretty and servisable. I want to see the back too! Are you using velcro to close them for the most part as I see a ribbon tie on one of them. Very very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by toot4toot9 View Post
    I do have a pattern just for the top. PM me your address and I'll pop it into the mail for you.

Lalaland, love your idea. I too would like the pattern if you are willing. These would be great to add to the items I make for my in-laws for their church auctions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2