Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk?

Blog Entries
    I use half & half and splenda in my coffee. Many years ago (over 25) I used
    to drink my coffee black with sweet & low. But went back to creamer in my
    coffee about 15-16 years ago.

Now as for tea I usually only drink hot tea when it is cold and in the evenings.
    Any other time (after I finish my coffee) I drink decaf ice tea (without the ice)
    and I use splenda in it.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I still drink coffee but very rarely use the flavored "creamers", one, they're much more expensive than real half and half, and two, they're nothing but chemicals.

Blog Entries
    I usually have one cup of Constant Comment's green tea first thing each morning. Then switch to coffee and use LandoLakes "mini moos" creamer, no sugar. I found that if I don't drink any coffee after I have breakfast I feel a lot better.

4js
    Blog Entries
    I have used a little 2% milk and honey.

I drink a couple of cups of coffee in the morning, then if I want something hot luster I drink dandy blend

Blog Entries
    Love this "pick your poison" thread! Ah, strong coffee and creamer! What a wonderful way to start the day.
    My own morning brew is dark Italian Roast with Coffeemate Italian Sweet Cream and sugar. There are always great coupons for the stuff and if you wait until there's a store sale you can stock up on six or eight bottles. It doesn't go bad, so why not? I recently picked up an International Delight Creme Brulee since my other favorite was out of stock. Tastes pretty much the same, so I'm happy.

Chemicals? Yeah, there are probably tons of them, but there are chemicals and hormones and GMOs in almost everything we ingest unless you live on an organic farm, so I guess it's a matter of picking your poison. I pick creamer as my very delicious poison.

And now ... off to brew a second cup!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    We use hubby and I Sam's creamer oh we just love it in our coffee it makes the coffee so smooth and has a great taste plus it's a big container for the price

Quote Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
    I drink tea -- usually Liptons or Red Rose, but two bags, as I like to brew it strong. I use a tsp of sweetener, and always use half and half, so basically I drink my tea strong, light and sweet. I take half and half to the office as I can't stand the powdered coffee mate type additives. A good portion of the ladies in my office use half and half, too, now --- if you're going to drink a cup of coffee or tea, why not really enjoy it?
    I found Typhoo tea in foil pack from England is really strong . You don't need two bags . I found them at Ocean State Job Lot. The tea bags don't come like the regular ones . The tea is in a circular bag with no string attached . It is strong . I saw a box at Walmart but when I opened it . It was the regular type with the string on it . In my country we used Typhoo tea all the time . Also make sure it's not the loose kind . I love tea . I put regular sugar and can milk!! No fat free anything . My philosophy is Fat Free is Taste Free or Low Fat is Low Taste. Everything in moderation. Enjoy!

You can make your own liquid vanilla creamer if you want to keep the odd stuff out. I use International Delight Vanilla. I just don't read the label. I like black tea the best for hot and iced tea. I'm very picky about not eating processed foods but my cup of coffee has to be just right to get my day started right.

http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/201...vor-varieties/
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I am a coffee lover. I drink mine black, and once in a great while, ( on cold winter evenings ) I will add a shot of Bailey's Irish cream!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    You can make your own liquid vanilla creamer if you want to keep the odd stuff out.
    http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/201...vor-varieties/
    Thanks for the great recipe .... ever-so tempting!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Oh boy I love this thread! Honestly, I go back and forth. To try and be "good", I switched from the ID French Vanilla creamer (which I know darn well is full of CRAP) to a fat-free half-and-half. But I also buy the little French Vanilla mini-moos and I have been known to put one of those into my coffee (always medium roast - from my Keurig) along with the half-and-half. Actually, my way of thinking is - I have only two cups of coffee per day, and I really want to ENJOY them! So if I'm using some artificial sweetener and crappy creamer, so be it. As the old saying goes - you gotta die of something.

Blog Entries
    I love McDonald's coffee the days that I work (normally only 2 days) I
    stop at McD's to get a large coffee.

Other than that I make coffee at home using my k-cups. Unless I have
    errands to run in the mornings that I don't work than you guessed it I
    stop at McD's for a large coffee and small cup of ice.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I don't like a sweetener so I use "Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk" in my COFFEE. It is only 30 calories for 8oz. and is pretty healthy. Better for me than the low fat milk I was using. I generally buy a case of it when the shelf stable containers are on sale. I can't give up my morning coffee and I have two cups in the a.m. and one cup in late afternoon.....Yum!

I started using a "whitener" in my coffee because it is supposed to be less apt to stain your teeth. Prior to that, I always drank it black. I do not use all those fake creamers because of all the stuff that's in them. I've tried, and do not like, soy milk or almond milk. That's just to drink straight - I just don't like it but it might be good in coffee. I would definitely stick with organic, though.
    What I actually do is use 1% organic milk. I use a frothter to whip it up and I sprinkle a little cinnamon/sugar combo on top. The frother I use is this http://www.amazon.com/Aerolatte-To-M.../dp/B0001RT2C4 and you can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond as that's where I got mine. It works best to froth the milk when it is cold and then heat it a bit before putting it into your coffee.
    At one time I used the canned condensed milk and I liked that but it also has 'stuff' in it that it would really be better not to ingest so I switched to the 1% milk.
    I've been doing this for several years and really enjoy it.
    Last edited by sparkys_mom; 02-28-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Pat

I use half and half in my coffee and a bit of sugar in my tea. I have tried fat free half and half ( disturbing texture ) and skim or low fat milk ( again, doesn't provide the richness I wanted in my coffee), so I'm just careful about how much I use. Same won't sugar in tea. Artificial or those "natural" substitutes don't cut it, so a little sugar is fine for me.

I also use half n half - nothing beats the real thing! I love tea and drink it from late afternoon till bed. Remember that all green teas have to steep for min 3 minutes to release there good stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I drink green tea -- find it very calming. Course I have a chocolate chip cookie with it.
    Loved this! How do you know it's not the chocolate chip cookie that's doing the calming???
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    Haven't read all the posts but I Loooooove powdered creamer in my coffee. But after reading how bad it is for you I gave it up. I don't like real creamor canned milk. I can drink caramel flavored tea black but had to give that up because of caffeine. Don't like the other flavored teas. Been drinking my decaf coffee black but I REALLY don't enjoy it. I AM going to try to pick up some of Coffeemate's Pure but it is a 40+ mile round trip to nearest store that carries it.
    TwandasMom

Dunkin donut coffe in mornin...I buy bag use Keurig with baskets you fill with own coffee. Have 1/2in morning,sometimes another about 4 pm, green tea in evening w/1 lump of sugar..like my water with a few slices of cucumber in it........from a pitcher I put in fridge

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could give up coffee easily. I use just plain old half and half. For the small amount that's used I see no harm in using that small an amount. If I use sugar it's Stevia or one of those natural plant sweetners. Raw sugar works well. Don't stress, just relax and enjoy it.

Ellie
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Blog Entries
    I buy 'European roast' coffee and make it very weak, so I can have a couple cups without driving my blood pressure through the roof each morning. When I realized that artificial sweeteners, and even stevia caused me to crave carbohydrates, I learned to drink my ice tea straight, and my hot tea has a splash of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar once a week or so as a treat. Someone once told me I "drink hot tea like an Englishman", but I really don't know if I do. Lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I drink one or two cups of coffee with a little half and half. I don't use sweetener in it, and discovered that fat free half and half has other stuff in it, sugar I think. You used to hear how awful coffee was for you, but now they are saying that people who have a cup or two are less likely to have dementia in old age. Heck, I'll believe that one. We also have a cup of tea at 4 pm. My parents and grandparents always did, and they all lived good long lives. I don't like the taste of green tea but know it's good for me so once in a while we use one regular and one green tea bag. I like mine not too strong, so I move it to another cup for hubby who lets it steep quite a while. Everybody to their own taste!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    So I'm really looking at my fav creamer, Coffeemate French Vanilla fat free, and after googling it I feel so disgusted that I've been drinking this fake and so bad for you substance for years. So moving forward I'd like to drink my coffee healthier but need something in it, and would like to know what you use.

And, what about tea? Have you gone from coffee to tea and why?

This is really getting me down...
    Been there - started making my own. Mix 1/4 c. brown sugar with 1 tbs. of vanilla. Stir and heat just until it bubbles, remove from heat and add pint of Half N Half.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add that I drink only black tea and it's bitter, so I use a little 1/2 & 1/2 and a small amount of raw sugar, which you can get at any grocery store.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast