Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk? >

Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk?

Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I use half and half in my coffee and a bit of sugar in my tea. I have tried fat free half and half ( disturbing texture ) and skim or low fat milk ( again, doesn't provide the richness I wanted in my coffee), so I'm just careful about how much I use. Same won't sugar in tea. Artificial or those "natural" substitutes don't cut it, so a little sugar is fine for me.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM

I also use half n half - nothing beats the real thing! I love tea and drink it from late afternoon till bed. Remember that all green teas have to steep for min 3 minutes to release there good stuff.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I drink green tea -- find it very calming. Course I have a chocolate chip cookie with it.
Loved this! How do you know it's not the chocolate chip cookie that's doing the calming???
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Haven't read all the posts but I Loooooove powdered creamer in my coffee. But after reading how bad it is for you I gave it up. I don't like real creamor canned milk. I can drink caramel flavored tea black but had to give that up because of caffeine. Don't like the other flavored teas. Been drinking my decaf coffee black but I REALLY don't enjoy it. I AM going to try to pick up some of Coffeemate's Pure but it is a 40+ mile round trip to nearest store that carries it.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM

Dunkin donut coffe in mornin...I buy bag use Keurig with baskets you fill with own coffee. Have 1/2in morning,sometimes another about 4 pm, green tea in evening w/1 lump of sugar..like my water with a few slices of cucumber in it........from a pitcher I put in fridge
Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM

I don't think I could give up coffee easily. I use just plain old half and half. For the small amount that's used I see no harm in using that small an amount. If I use sugar it's Stevia or one of those natural plant sweetners. Raw sugar works well. Don't stress, just relax and enjoy it.

Ellie
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM

I buy 'European roast' coffee and make it very weak, so I can have a couple cups without driving my blood pressure through the roof each morning. When I realized that artificial sweeteners, and even stevia caused me to crave carbohydrates, I learned to drink my ice tea straight, and my hot tea has a splash of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar once a week or so as a treat. Someone once told me I "drink hot tea like an Englishman", but I really don't know if I do. Lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM

I drink one or two cups of coffee with a little half and half. I don't use sweetener in it, and discovered that fat free half and half has other stuff in it, sugar I think. You used to hear how awful coffee was for you, but now they are saying that people who have a cup or two are less likely to have dementia in old age. Heck, I'll believe that one. We also have a cup of tea at 4 pm. My parents and grandparents always did, and they all lived good long lives. I don't like the taste of green tea but know it's good for me so once in a while we use one regular and one green tea bag. I like mine not too strong, so I move it to another cup for hubby who lets it steep quite a while. Everybody to their own taste!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
So I'm really looking at my fav creamer, Coffeemate French Vanilla fat free, and after googling it I feel so disgusted that I've been drinking this fake and so bad for you substance for years. So moving forward I'd like to drink my coffee healthier but need something in it, and would like to know what you use.

And, what about tea? Have you gone from coffee to tea and why?

This is really getting me down...
Been there - started making my own. Mix 1/4 c. brown sugar with 1 tbs. of vanilla. Stir and heat just until it bubbles, remove from heat and add pint of Half N Half.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Forgot to add that I drink only black tea and it's bitter, so I use a little 1/2 & 1/2 and a small amount of raw sugar, which you can get at any grocery store.