Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I have to disagree and very strongly. My husband has just died from Colon Cancer. This is an extremely slow growing type of cancer. It can be picked up before its too late. The symptoms come very near the end when time is of the essence and sometimes it is just not picked up as its very like IBS. Let me just say many people die from this cancer because they donīt get tested. I know the test ts not pleasant but believe me the alternative is horrendous, take the test please. Colon cancer can take 15 years to develop and starts of with polyps which my or may not become cancerous. Now I will let you all think on that one.

Elle
Sorry to hear about your husband.

I agree! I've had 2 and they found polyps both times. I wouldn't be here if I had not done it and as far as I know there is not a family history of colon problems. Its your life. :wink:
Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Cancer can be genetic, not always, but in my my husbands case he had 5 brothers and three sisters. Mum breast cancer & Dad lung cancer, 2 sisters, 1 ovarian 1 breast cancer, one brother throat cancer still alive, 1 brother has just been given the all clear for the time being from pancreatic cancer. Try tellimg me its not genetic.
I canīt say this strongly enough but colon cancer is one of the biggest killers there is, there are no signs till its too late and if I can save just one person by saying go for your test then I feel Colin wonīt have died in vain
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 AM

ELLE - sorry to hear about your husband's cancer. You're doing right in telling people about it.

MARIDE - I agree with you on the tests you mentioned and wondered ...
Do people Go To The Dentist? or do they just let a cavity grow and grow until the tooth falls out.
Do they go to the doctor and have their blood pressure checked and Take medicine for it...or do they wait for a heart attack to happen before taking action.

Guess decisions will have to be made and the individual will have to live with it (or not). Good luck - But I went for the test once and will go every 3 years based on the findings.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 AM

A colonoscopy saved me from having full blown colon cancer. Some polyps were removed that tested positive.....I am so thankful I had mine done!! I have had skin cancer removed and live with an incurable form of leukemia (8 years now); so always willing to have any test done that need be. This week, I just had my 3rd. ultrasound to watch a spot they found last year in my gall bladder. So far it isn't growing....Amen!!! They do know it is not a stone.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 AM

I had one a few years ago and the prep was horrible. I was so dehydrated that I got a bad Migraine and dry heaves, had to call Dr. if I could take my meds for Migraine because their was no way I was doing this again anytime soon. I didn't care if they had to roll me in on a stretcher it was getting done. First thing I said was when I got there was knock me out I can't stand the migraine anymore. I could have cared less what else they were going to do to me. Every thing was fine. But I would do it again, they are necessary, everyone should get one. Its a slow growing cancer, but the time you notice problems it is usually to late. Everyone get one.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Cancer can be genetic, not always, but in my my husbands case he had 5 brothers and three sisters. Mum breast cancer & Dad lung cancer, 2 sisters, 1 ovarian 1 breast cancer, one brother throat cancer still alive, 1 brother has just been given the all clear for the time being from pancreatic cancer. Try tellimg me its not genetic.
I canīt say this strongly enough but colon cancer is one of the biggest killers there is, there are no signs till its too late and if I can save just one person by saying go for your test then I feel Colin wonīt have died in vain
Elle, I am so sorry you lost your dear husband :( In the states Katie Couric has become very active with awareness d/t losing her husband so young.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 AM

Thanks all of your you have agreed with my very strong comments, I thought I might have been too strong.

Keep going for the tests all those who still do, I wholehearted agree they are not nice, but very necessary.

Good luck everyone, donīt contemplate just do it
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 AM

Haven't done, know I need too, can't stand the thought of drinking the prep! Last time I had to drinkl stuff for an ultrasound, I puked all over the waiting room floor. First half went down fine, ( this was the chalky stuff) next 1/4 I started gagging, last 1/4 oooopps! But, back to prep for colon., our pharmicist told my hubby, put it in the freezer, get it to the point of having ice crystals, and drink it as fast and steady as you can. He said the colder it is, the easier it is to get down.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 AM

I had my first one. As a diabetic I was scared of the liquit diet before the test. But it was not as bad as I thought, I did not have a problem with low sugar. The test was absolutely painless, I was out of it an don't remember any of it. There is cancer colon on one side of my family, so instead of every 10 years, I have to go every 5. And I will go. I do not want colon cancer to gain a foothold in my body. I think you should do it, just for peace of mind. It's really not that bad.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 AM

Colonoscopies are good and can save lives. It's really no big deal, just gotta plan a bit.