Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Comparison prices... do you believe them? >

Comparison prices... do you believe them?

Comparison prices... do you believe them?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Comparison prices... do you believe them?

When you see a shopping site with "compare at" prices versus "our price"... do you tend to believe the "compare at" price? Or do you think it's "phony"?

Have you given any thought at how they arrive at the "compare at" prices?

If it were up to you, how would YOU compute the "compare at" price?

Just wonderin'...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM

It depends ...I am always suspect of anything on TV where they quote a "retail value". When it comes to fabric ... I know the going prices ( I get the major catalogs , Hancocks and Keepsake) so having the "compare" price has little value for me.
I think if I did not shop so regularly for fabric , it would have value to me.
If it was me and had to set a comparative... I would use the major retailers/most familiar and what the regular price they charge as my comparative.

Last edited by Lori S; 09-12-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

i believe that there are some retailers that sell the items at the higher prices. but there are many retailers that sell at much lower prices than that... not just the retailer paying for the ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 AM

I generally find my own comparison price. If I am looking for fabrics, I have usually looked at several sites to see their cost before I buy. I do the same thing with just about anything that costs more than $25. I will do computer searches and will also call and visit stores. I did that when we bought our last TV. Visited several retailers and found the prices were all over the place. Finally purchased the TV at a store that the price was $200 - $400 less than the other stores I went to.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 AM

I get a kick out of the ads (usually for jewelry stores) that say "Compare at.." and then in fine print, "may not have resulted in any sales at that price" or something like that.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 AM
Banned

I don't think I even notice it.
There are a handful of shops I go to on-line; and, I know from experience they offer better prices than others.

I almost always have an idea what the fabric I'm interested in is retailing for - say at Keepsake or Paducah, so if it's a new site I can tell if I'll shop there.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I don't beleve it. I usually know what I will pay for something. What I like is the "list price" and sale price. We have a business and know things are not bought or sold at list price, sale price is after a mark up. Retailers of any sort need to make money to stay in business.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 AM
QKO

I think it depends on if the "Compare at" price is an honest price. We use "compare at," "list price" and "our price" on our website.

In our shop, "Compare at" and "list price" are the same thing, and are set at what we see the same or similar goods selling for in local quilt shops. This might not be the cheapest price you can buy it for, but is the price many shoppers see when they're out and about shopping, so we think it's an honest price to quote.

I'm not sure that it really makes a difference to a lot of shoppers, since many if not most internet shoppers are doing a lot of comparison shopping, and they know where and at what price they can get what they are looking for. But I do think it's a valuable tool in that it gives people an idea what they would pay if they were shopping at many stores. Like most marketing tools, it has a limited purpose, but a purpose indeed.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 AM

I mostly laugh at "compare at" prices. You can compare a price to anything but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone actually sells at that price . . . or buys at it. Recently, I saw an item with a "compare at" price, which was more than the PRINTED PRICE, on the item! Forgot what it was but it was at WalMart. It makes more sense, to state the suggested retail price, if a seller wants to suggest a discount.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I always compare prices on my own. I refuse to buy u less i get a bargain.
This ta let reg$269.00 i got it for $139.99
o.k. so it skips letters, im getting a repla ement in a week or two.
TodY, got owboy boots reg$259.99 for$39.99.
if .ot on sLe i ask to talk to mgr or owner.
I'm cheap my friends say fruval.