Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Confused by Lingo

Blog Entries
    I'm still new to this board, and I'm a little confused by the abbreviations in some posts. I think DIL is Daughter In Law, but what is DD, DH, DGD, and so on? Thanks for any clarification. :)

There is a thread if you use the above search and put in Abbreviations you will get a wonderful list from a board member. I took me a while to get it down!
    DD Darling Husband son grand daughter

Blog Entries
    That's funny, 'cause I even had to google a few.
    DD-dear daughter
    DH-dear husband
    DGD-dear granddaughter
    I still google some things. I remember when I had to ask what was LOL (laughting out loud)

Blog Entries
    If you do a search above you will find many many posts on these.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! It's amazing that someone took so much time to compile that HUGE list. I've downloaded it to study it more. :)

My DD and I were just talking today about this very subject.
    It seems a whole new language has developed using acronyms.
    You have them in texting too, although those seem to be just a bit different than those normally used on boards and chat rooms.

Makes one wonder, in a few years will be forget the English language and start speaking in just aconyms?? Food for thought...or should that be FOT???? LOL

Well, DH means "dear husband" most of the time UNLESS he really messed up. Then it probably means "[email protected]#$ husband". :XD: I can think of a few more initials for those occasions but my Mom would make me wash my hands for actually typing them in public. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Thanks everyone! It's amazing that someone took so much time to compile that HUGE list. I've downloaded it to study it more. :)
    I too didn't know what they were when I first started here. I am an old lady who doesn't do facebook and all that stuff. One day my DIL (daughter-in-law) was here and I was showing her pictures of her grandmother's quilt I had posted. Now she is a graphic artist and knows all the internet lingo. She read something I had written and said, "What?! Why am I not DDIL? That is dear-daughter-in-law. We had a good laugh over that and I assured her that she indeed was my DDIL. So now when she e-mails me she always signs it "Your DDIL"