Coupons - the fine print

Old 09-29-2018, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Add to that, the expensive regular priced items (like round cutting blades or scissors) are too often "out of stock" only on sale day. So tempted to hide them among the fabric bolts the day before the sale.......
I knew someone who hid clothing she wanted to purchase at a thrift store. I can't imagine doing that at any store, but I do think a rain check should be given for that item to be purchased at the sale price when the stock is replenished. That would be good for everyone.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I had a coupon for a "sewing notion" at Joann. I picked up an Omnigrid template and was told, that was a quilting notion - not eligible for the coupon. I was directed to a wall on the far side of the store. Found an almost identical Omnigrip template, $1 more. Somehow THAT was not eligible either, despite coming from the "notion" wall.

The cashier was very nice and worked with me to override it and get down to almost the coupon value.
I think JoAnn's is putting a lot of customers OUT the door and not in. I went on the first day of a big sale and the store only had a dozen people in there, it is the ETC huge store. That is why so many are doing online business to avoid all the hoops with their coupons.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:43 AM

First of all, BOGO sales make me crazy. I don't want two of something at buy one get one at 50% off, but I likely would have bought one at 25% off.
Secondly, I really think it is up to the consumer to read their coupons and know what the rules are. The cashiers have no control if your coupon doesn't match the criteria when you get to the check out.
I use an APP called FLiPP to do all my grocery shopping. It takes all the local grocery stores, looks at your shopping list and finds the cheapest in the area. Then, it makes a list of those so you can go to your favourite store that price matches and just price match everything, showing them on your phone the ad from the other store. BUT you have to make sure you are buying the exact same thing. I've seen so many people argue with the cashier...I feel bad for them, but it isn't the cashiers fault that you haven't fulfilled the coupon's details.

Watson
Old 09-29-2018, 04:45 AM

Several years ago, I went to Joann's with a 50% coupon on regular priced items. When I got to the store, I noticed an add that said "everything in the store is on sale". Last time I fell for that gimmick.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
The ones that are particularly annoying to me are the ones that say 50% off any regularly-priced item. Then you get to the store, and find that nearly everything is "on sale", even if it's just a few cents below the regular price, preventing you from using the coupon. I don't know if all of their stores are that way, but our local store is. Unlike two of their nearby competitors, they won't ring the item up at the regular price, either, so that you can use the coupon. I've pretty much given up on shopping there.
Ditto....so annoying...
I had a 60 off coupon from Joann's and everything was on sale...the entire store. UGH...I've found just ignore coupons now because they plan them around sales of 30 or 40 off and you walk in w/ 50-60 off that are useless.

I now ck online site and hope to find something I need at Reg price and have it delivered to local store so not to pay shipping and to use my coupon.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have started checking on-line for the Walmart prices for things like rotary cutters and then going tiothe JoAnn site to compare prices.

For some things, the "regular" Walmart price is less than the JoAnn "with coupon" price.

Just saying.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have started checking on-line for the Walmart prices for things like rotary cutters and then going tiothe JoAnn site to compare prices.

For some things, the "regular" Walmart price is less than the JoAnn "with coupon" price.

Just saying.
I ck Amazon...also...
Old 09-29-2018, 06:31 AM

I am an educated person and a careful shopper and read every last line on the coupons I get. That being said, the JoAnn's I go to makes it almost impossible to use my coupons. I think the real insult is that they often send me a coupon at the end of the month for my LOYALTY for $5-15 off one total purchase. Those are completely insulting because they seldom work on anything. I read the fine print carefully and shop accordingly, but when I get to the register, they tell me the coupon won't work on that item. When I ask them to show me why on the coupon, they shrug and say they don't know but the computer in the register will not take it. If I had another full line fabric store to go to, I would do it. We lost our Hancock's to bankruptcy. I try not to take it out on the employees who are nice people just making a living, but I would much prefer better everyday prices and sales with no coupons than this cat and mouse game.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:56 AM

I got one yesterday from a department store that said $10 of a $25 purchase of select items. The list of exclusions is long. It makes me NOT want to shop that store. I don't want to spend a lot of time shopping trying to figure out what I can use the coupon for. This same store a few years ago advertised they were no longer going to have sales or coupons. Their prices were always going to be low. That policy lasted about a year and now they've gone back to sales and coupons. For me it's a matter of trust. There are so many misleading marketing practices that it's frustrating. Stores that always have 40% off everything....40% off what? Coupons good for very little, stores that show one price on their shelves but somehow those prices for some reason don't get into their cash registers and computers. I've got some pretty good bargains using coupons and sales, but the majority of the time it's just a bunch of hype.

Last edited by janjanq; 09-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Is there an app like this that can be used with a computer? I don't have a smart phone so miss out on a lot but money is too tight for a smart phone.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
First of all, BOGO sales make me crazy. I don't want two of something at buy one get one at 50% off, but I likely would have bought one at 25% off.
Secondly, I really think it is up to the consumer to read their coupons and know what the rules are. The cashiers have no control if your coupon doesn't match the criteria when you get to the check out.
I use an APP called FLiPP to do all my grocery shopping. It takes all the local grocery stores, looks at your shopping list and finds the cheapest in the area. Then, it makes a list of those so you can go to your favourite store that price matches and just price match everything, showing them on your phone the ad from the other store. BUT you have to make sure you are buying the exact same thing. I've seen so many people argue with the cashier...I feel bad for them, but it isn't the cashiers fault that you haven't fulfilled the coupon's details.

Watson