craft magnets

Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Default craft magnets

While going looking for something - which I have not found yet - I cam across some "craft magnets".
They are about 1/2 to 5/8 inch in diameter and maybe 1/8 inch thick.

Will they harm a Pfaff 1471 - an early computerized machine'/ or a Bernina 930 record ?
Or any computerized machine?

As of now, I am keeping them at least six feet away from the machines that are "not mechanical"
Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

This question has been brought up before and I don't think they would hurt your machines. I have one of those Zirkel pincushions and was told by my Bernina dealer that it's not a problem to be near my machine. I also have some Zappy Dots, which sound like yours. No worries (I'm told)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:39 AM

Don't carry them in the same pocket as a bank card.. ooops, I did it again.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

It would take a very powerful magnet to harm a computerized sewing machine. I haven't seen a warning about magnets around a machine in the manuals.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Most magnets are not going to harm most modern things. The bank card strips and old fashioned computer disks can be an exception to this -- but consider how many purses have a clasp with a light magnetic closure. Avoid direct contact and swiping motions across. Usually if you have a super strong magnet, it is something that you purchased and know about in advance, they are expensive and are not just going to be put in normal stuff without some sort of notice or justification for a higher price.

I have a stronger than normal magnet on a string that I keep attached to the legs of my sewing table because mostly I use it to pick up spilled pins around my sewing table. It is easy to reach and secure while being out of the way. It would still be safe up top next to the machine.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM

I use a magnetic hoop on my embroidery machine. One of the ladies at the LQS can't use one because of her pace maker.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 PM

I have a high end sewing machine and believed based on what I had read that having a magnet close to it would not be an issue. I placed my Zirkel pincushion right next to the sewing machine (right side where the controls are) and heard a strange noise. I moved the magnet and put it back. Same strange noise. It was affecting something inside the machine. So I keep the magnets at least an inch or two away from the machine.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:38 AM

Save the magnets from you old shower curtains.