Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

With the exception of 7 years in AZ I've lived in NH / MA for my 52 years of life. I've discovered the last 8 years or so I really, really, hate the winter. I hate the snow, the ice, driving in it, shoveling it, looking at the mounds of dirty snow toward the end of the season, and I'm cold.

I have an old house that seems to regularly need costly repairs which is getting more difficult to manage financially being single. I have a good job with little chance of losing it, but I really don't like it - 30 years doing the same thing has taken its toll.

My son will be going to a 4-year college in VT then his job will bring him to either CA or Europe. My daughter and new grandson want to / will be moving to AZ because she's tired of winter as well.

Would it be crazy for me to sell my house, quit my job, and move to an apartment in sunny AZ and look for a job there, if I have 2 years of cash to hold me over?

Would you do this?

I'll check back later tonight; have to make the hour drive to work.

Thanks. I really need some serious input on this.

It is not so crazy as you may think. However think about the job you have and is that type "sell able" in another market. We live in Oregon and transplanted from "cold & Hot" Illinois 34 years ago and have never looked back. We took a vacation back then and found a job first. Best of luck with your decision. Trish B.

I think trish is right in terms of the timing...you will have to be careful to make sure you can get a job and sell your house for what you need but other than that...go for it! Honestly....I would follow my kids/grandkids regardless of the weather...LOL! My father followed us here to KY because my kids were his only grandkids and he said they were what made his life "fun". He passed in July and my kids were closer to him than they are any of the others.

There is alot to think about but for me my grandkids would be such a big draw,if I don't see them at least once a week I get VERY cranky. :roll:
    But like the others said being able to sell your home and finding a job would have to be thought about alot,maybe go there and see if you can find a job before making the big move.
    Good luck on whatever you decide. :D :D :D

GO AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE LEGS CAN CARRY YOU

Living not too far away in Mass and being 51 I can relate. I would wait until your daughter moves, then take a few weeks of vacation together and go out and make sure you like the area and think you could get a job. You have lived in AZ before so that is a help. Does your daughter have a job lined up or will she be a stay at home mom? I think in life it is the things we don't do that we regret, not the things we do, do. You also don't have a specific timetable so that is nice, you can look for a job online while in NH and get the house prepped to sell since spring is the best time to put a house on the market. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Let's see, grandkids in AZ vs. snow in Maine? Sounds like an obvious choice to me! However, agree with being cautious, especially in this so-called recovering economy!

I'm in Bow and dang I know what you mean! Tired of the winters. I just question the markets for job and housing, that would scare the heck out of me. I want to sell my house also, but am afraid of what I'd lose on this house, considering what we've put into it.

My son is also in college in VT. He's going to Norwich in Northfield for the Army ROTC Program. So totally relate. Empty nest syndrome is absolutely no fun!!

You do have yourself a nice nest egg. I guess its really how much you want it. Think whether things would be better up here if you got involved with some neat activities or not. Do you think this is just rut your in? Lack of sun does affect this.

Playing devils advocate here, that's all.

Blog Entries
    I say make the change..life is too short..I would do the same but my husband loves New England. When we retire we will look for a home in the south and live there during the winter months.

Banned
    It was -6 when I got up this morning at 6 am.
    I too am in New Hampshire and don't like snow and ice. If I moved anywhere it would be back to NYC to be near my grandkids and why bother - it's cold there too, albeit not minus anything.
    I agree with others re job. You could take an Arizona vacation and check out the market.
    New Hampshire doesn't seem to be taking as bad a bath on selling houses as other states. Check with some realtors.

I have lived here in Tucson for almost 30 years and I love it,your first summer will be rough,cuz you are not use to it.Winters will be awesome.I find them alittle chilly,sometimes downright cold,but not like you are used to

I think you should seriously look into how secure your retirement funds are, how many more years you plan to work, how long you can survive without working, the cost of living there, the housing market (how fast you can sell your house and how much profit you'd make) and the job market. Would it be possible for you to take a 30 day leave of absence and go West to check out the housing and job markets? I wouldn't go into a move like this blind but I'd sure be using this snowy winter to do some checking. And yes, if there was any way possible to move I'd do it.

Nope, you are not crazy. DH and I did just the same thing 16 years ago. BUT, I would check out the jobs and housing online before you jump in the car. We moved from NY and the vehicle registration and inspection is different and more expensive, heating and cooling is generally a little less expensive, no heavy winter coat needed unless you are going to the 'high' country, when it rains people are stupid just like the first snow there, and of course there are lots and lots of people where we are. We are in the Phoenix area. I have grandkids back in NY and it was a hard decision to stay here instead of move back to be a daily gram there. I just couldn't do it...... DH and I are in the medical field and I had a hard time finding a new job in 2009 and I have never had a hard time finding work in 35 years.....

So good luck on your decision and if you do get out here give a shout, we'll try and get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    GO AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE LEGS CAN CARRY YOU
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do find a job if u can, before the move!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I don't think it's crazy at all! Just do your homework first :D
    Good luck!

This gave me a big chuckle. We've debated this question on and off for the past 2 years. We have lived in rainy Oregon for 16 years now and just bought a house in Arizona. We're tired of little sunshine and dreary days for too many months of the year. Don't get me wrong. Oregon is incredibly beautiful and we even thought of buying again up here (we've been full-time RVers for 6 years) and spending winters in Arizona (with kids, grandkids and great grandkids). But we bought in Arizona and will instead spend our summers in Oregon. Now I just hope I can find some quilting friends when we move in March.

As a transplant from MA to NH and loving the snow and cold and getting up in years..I would make a move even to warm climates to be near my DD (no GK yet) . I am stand in mom for 2 GNeices here and they need me till they are on their own. Family is what would make me move.
    along with everyone else...have a vacation in AZ and look at the situations the new situations.
    MAybe you could rent out in raymond if buyers are scarce.
    I am in Rindge and stuff has been moving here. good luck

Nope not at all. We moved to florida 25 years ago from up north and we love love love it here.

Heck no! Go for it! I live in PA and the winters suck! I can't handle the gray days, the cost of heating oil, just being housebound for weeks at a time. Their are no jobs here and it doesn't look to promising any time soon.

Dh and I have decided to move to Fl. Youngest son graduates in June and leaves for the Marines in September. Oldest son is married and has a baby, whom I love dearly, but they have no intetions of moving for a few years. Her family is here. Middle son is in the Marines and stationed in NC.

My dh is an over the road truck driver so we don't see too much of each other. We want to change that. We want to go to a place that suits our needs now. I have a funny feeling that my kids will follow. Even if they don't, we have to do what is best for us, and the Florida move is it.

Go for it! Why stay someplace you don't like? It sounds like you have a good plan going, financially planning, and I am sure you could find a job in AZ. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Not crazy at all.. I quit my 10 year job making GOOD money and moved 100 miles east. Found a job and am making it just fine. (well besides the medical issues) Check out the market for your job interests and the cost of living expenses. Do some major research on the unemployment rate in the area first tho.. Good luck.. oh yeah by the way.. I heard it snowed in Az this winter.. :shock:

I'd find a job there first especially in this economy. Then by all means go be with your family. So many businesses now only accept applications on line so use your vacation for interviews. I know people who have been out of work more than 2 years which is extremely stressful. Meanwhile start going through stuff and maybe even start packing[( the stuff you don't use often but won't part with) write on the boxes what all is in them], painting(if suggested by realator for sale of house), etc.

Sounds like an adventure to me. If I were in your position, I would probably give it a shot, but as another person commented, is your job one that is easily transferrable. I am an RN retired now, but if I were in your shoes I would be heading west.... And hoping it wouldn't take until retirement to sell the house...
    Sherri , OH, residing in FL for the winter, (Which I hate)

Arizona is in a slump jobwise, just like all other parts of the country. You could put your house on the market, sell it, move into a rental for a while and then try to find a job in Az. By the time your house sells, the market may be up for jobs in Az....THEN move to Az. Of course, finding a job could be easy for you --- all according to what kind of job and your skills. One perk there is that with the first move, you'll get rid of lots of junk (yes, we all have it)....then the move to Az won't be as expensive. BTW -- living where you have cold winters and milder temps, remember, southern Az can get VERY hot in the summer. :) :)

on edit: One fun thing is to go on www.realtor.com and scout out the cost of homes in the area you might move to....homes in Az were a lot more expensive that those where we live....shocked us. I don't know the comparison for you though.

My gut instinct is to jump up and run to Arizona....then, my inner logical self says....take a breath. Check out your prospective new home...at its best and worst. Go visit during the winter and see what it's like, then at its peak during the hot, hot summer. Some people end up hating the heat as much as you do the snowy winters. Sometimes the grass isn't really greener, just a change. But change can be wonderful!!!
    So, I say Go For it, but at a slower pace and with as much info on your new environment as you can muster. Good Luck.
    Wish we could move but I'm a dreamer...probably will never move again. But then again, who knows what the future hold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correction...."what the future holdS" Retired English teacher, here.LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast