Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked

Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sure one of our moderators will put it where it should be.

I've just received a letter from Fabric Depot telling me that they were hacked in October, 2012. The third party gained access to all credit card and debit card numbers, information and security codes. If you've ordered anything from them, check your statements closely for at least the next year. I knew Connecting Threads was hit, but this is the first I've heard about Fabric Depot.
    I HATE a ---- thief!!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

boy things are sure getting scary out in this big world. thanks. i have ordered from
    connecting threads right before christmas.

Blog Entries
    Another member posted about this yesterday. . . http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t215685.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I had two cards compromised in one month. I have every available block and ID theft available and the crooks still managed to get around them. But the cards were frozen as soon as the suspicious charges were noticed. The bank and cc company had the attitude of it happens all the time, don't worry about it. When I asked what will be done to find the crooks I was told it was reported to authorities. It's a very slim chance of anyone looking for them and slimmer still of them being held in jail if found.
    Got fabric?

Thank you for the info!

Several years ago this happened to the card clearing house where our company account was as well as my personal account. Our bank was very much on top of the situation and notified all customers as well as issuing new cards to all. A friend who worked at the bank and was anticipating retirement stayed on to work through verifying that all accounts were correctly handled and no unauthorized charges allowed. It was a major headache for her but she did a fantastic job of going through all the paperwork to be sure everything was done correctly.

" It's a very slim chance of anyone looking for them and slimmer still of them being held in jail if found. "

From what I've been hearing in the news media, much of this is coming from other countries, namely Russia and China. I guess there's really nothing that our authorieties' can do to them even when they know where it comes from.
    The banks do seem to have a very poor attitude about it, though. To give my bank credit, they did delete all the charges I was hit with on both cards. They didn't even seem surprised when I called them. I didn't even have to fill out a fraud report for the debit card! I'm afraid to order anything online again, even by calling the order in. If they're storing our information, it can certainly happen again and again!

Many companies require you to enter the info every time rather than them storing the info. Others "farm out" the processing to a third party with the higher security encryption than their site.

I'm going to buy a pre-paid credit card to use for future on-line purchases.

My one card got hacked over the weekend. Someone tried to use a fake card at a gas pump for $1.00. It was denied & CC company called me. Had to close account & get a new account/card. I was told there are people out there now making fake cards! So watch your monthly invoice.

What would be best to use on line is get 1 card just for on line use. Use it for nothing else. You can also put a fraud alert on your account that purchases only get delivered to yuor address. That way if someone tries to send items to another address the purchase will be denied.

Discover has had this problem. One of our card numbers were gotten by someone. They got by with a 350.00 dollar purchase, the over 900.00 was stopped. Our cards were in our possesion.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

"Many companies require you to enter the info every time rather than them storing the info."

I have never had my information stored by any online business. I always enter my info each time and I always check out as a "Guest" if possible. They hit my cards anyway. You know, if these thieves would work half as hard at honest labor, just think what they could accomplish!

I placed an order with Connecting Threads about 1-2 weeks ago and my debit card got hacked. The company that my bank has checking for this kind of thing called me yesterday morning. They caught a charge trying to be put thru from a place in "Madrid"...they would not put it thru (thank goodness) because info could not be verified. Now I am without a debit card until we get home...but at least they saved me from losing a bunch of money.....Thanks for the info on Connecting Threads....Joey

My number was used in the UK recently. Charges for nearly $1000 at 5 different web sites. The bank investigated and all money's were returned to me.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I use a dump account thru my bank...I make my purchase and then transfer only the amount needed to cover the purchase, no extra. This is what my bank suggested I do and so far no problems.
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

My credit card company has contacted me in the past when they've detected out of the normal transactions - like 20cent test purchases and the like. My card has been replaced twice in the last couple of years - I just received a replacement card last week with a letter that it was a precaution. I check my on line balances and charges on a daily basis.
    Pat

Ditto, donnalynett. We just finished up a pre-paid card and that is our "wave of the future." I don't intend to order anything on-line in the future.

I received a notice as well. Fabric depot also suggested checking your credit files as these people used the info to get credit under your name...too scary..I checked mine today, but plan to have my card canceled as soon as possible. I have to call the credit agencies and find out what I need to do on that end as well...sigh..
    Kitty

Bank of America has a "Safeshop" option. You get to decide $$ amount and the expiration date. They give a number that will refer back to your cc with the banking system. It's handy to use on line.

A way to order online without having your credit cards compromised is to go to a Dollar Store or Wal Mart and purchase a Prepaid card for whatever amount you want on it. Make your purchase online using that prepaid card and none of your personal info is connected to it. I have a friend who does this all the time and no worries of being hacked again. You can take the card back to where you bought it and put as much more money as you need for the next order.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

My number was hacked this week, too. The CC card company caught it immediately, called us to verify...NOT...the charges. I had a new card in 3 days.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I got the Fabric Depot letter this week too....If it happened in Oct why are they just now notifying everyone, thats months ago !! This is the 2nd time this has happened to me, I am really getting nervous about ordering things online anymore.

I went to the grocery store about a month ago and the machine wouldn't take my card, even after three tries. I finally had to get my dh to use his card. After it got rejected on Amazon, we called the company and they had cancelled my card because someone was trying to use it down in Texas and they knew I was still using my card up here. I'm so glad they cancelled it but I wish they'd taken a minute to let me know about it. It took about a week to get the replacement. From now on it's going to be strictly Paypal except for Amazon who isn't taking them any more.

Woo thanks for the info everyone.. I was hacked about two weeks ago and the Bank picked up on it and called me, cancelled and sent me a new one in 5 days.
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

I am also a victim of the Fabric Depot hacking. I had 7 purchases done in less than half an hour -- over $1800. Five of the purchases happened less than 5 minutes apart at a Burlington Coat Factory -- it is thought the purchases were called in. Happened 9 days after I bought from Fabric Depot. We only use this credit card online and there is a note about that in our file. This is not the first time this has happened -- unfortunately -- but is the largest purchase. It is too bad -- takes all the fun out of shopping online.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast