Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cruising to Alaska Sunday

Hi All,

I will miss talking with all of you.

We leave Sunday for a cruise to Alaska. I understand there is a great quilt Shop in Ketchikan and 2 in Skagway within walking distance to the ship. Because of a bad accident I had last year on a cruise we will not be able to take a lot of tours, my walking still has a lot to be desired. So gee, I guess I just have to spend all the money that I would put on tours into fabric. LOL.

I am taking my laptop and I have $100 toward wirless use on board,, so plan on checking in occasionally.

:mrgreen: with envy here! Have fun!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about last years mishap.... Hope you have a GREAT time this year :lol: Enjoy and bring back lots of pics !
    Sharon

Have a great time!
    I'm jealous!

We are really excited. This is our 3 cruise to Alaska. I was born in Anchorage. It is 10 days round trip out of San Francisco. The quilt shops up there have some great fabrics that are more regional. You can see them online, but our So Cal shops don't carry them. Shop, shop, shop. Yea.

Sounds like a good time. Have lots and lots of fun!

Sounds like fun. Have a great time.

Blog Entries
    Wishing you good weather and smooth waters. Can't wait to hear the stories.

Have fun but be careful!!

I hope you have lots of fun and have saved a lot of money to bring back fabric.

have lots of fun! Lucky you. Have you signed up for any fun day excursions? My mom loved traveling to alaska. It seems full of some wonderful history.

I'm green! :mrgreen: Have a wonderful time shopping! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    have lots of fun! Lucky you. Have you signed up for any fun day excursions? My mom loved traveling to alaska. It seems full of some wonderful history.
    We aren't planning any excursions this trip. We are planning just taking in the towns this time. We never really seem to have time to spend much time enjoying the local culture, because we are taking so many excursions.

I hope you have a wonderful time. We did an Alaskan Cruise last summer with my husband's family. I was still recovering from Shoulder surgery and subsequent infection and wasn't able to enjoy it as much or take many excursions that required a lot of walking. I'd love to go again sometime when I'm healthy!!! We did get to see a lot of gorgeous sights!!! And I hit quilt shops in every town that had them!!!!

Gee, that's terrible...having to spend that tour money on fabric. he he.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How exciting!! I can't wait to see photos!! Gini is on this forum and her daughter owns a quilt shop in AK--I hope she comes on board to tell you if it's on your path!! I'll PM her...

You will love the shops in Ketchikan. The 2 I know of and have been to are The Silver Thimble it is a shop to die for. There are 2 levels with fantastic fabric and patterns. One room at the back of the u on the 2nd level have the greatest Alaskan fabrics. It's a quilters heaven.

The next one is the Rainforest also in Ketchikan. They are the Bernina dealer and do have a wonderful line of fabrics. You will find mostly Alaskan fabrics, a lot of the animal fabrics of animals within Alaska.

My DIL's shop is in Coopers Landing. It is near Homer, Kenai about 90 miles from Anchorage.

Have a wonderful time and yes we want pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gini
    You will love the shops in Ketchikan. The 2 I know of and have been to are The Silver Thimble it is a shop to die for. There are 2 levels with fantastic fabric and patterns. One room at the back of the u on the 2nd level have the greatest Alaskan fabrics. It's a quilters heaven.

The next one is the Rainforest also in Ketchikan. They are the Bernina dealer and do have a wonderful line of fabrics. You will find mostly Alaskan fabrics, a lot of the animal fabrics of animals within Alaska.

My DIL's shop is in Coopers Landing. It is near Homer, Kenai about 90 miles from Anchorage.

Have a wonderful time and yes we want pictures.
    Gini,

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to by some of the Alaska and Wildlife fabrics. I have looked on the web site for Silver Thimble, it does really look like the shop is to die for. If the Rainforest is within walking distance hope to check it out too. We have been to Ketchikan 7 years ago and loved it.

There is suppose to be two in Skagway within walking distance from where we dock.

I will send photos when I return, or maybe even while I am on board. I get free internet access while on board.

How far north are you going to travel? Here in Los Anchorage, we have a couple very fine quilt stores, the one downtown caters to Alaskan themes, with lots of Alaskan patterns as well as fabrics. And the owner/buyer LOVES batiks, so there is a great deal of them as well.

Calm seas to you!
    M

Have a great trip. The weather here in Anchorage couldn't be better. :D

Have a great time and take lots of pictures :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    How far north are you going to travel? Here in Los Anchorage, we have a couple very fine quilt stores, the one downtown caters to Alaskan themes, with lots of Alaskan patterns as well as fabrics. And the owner/buyer LOVES batiks, so there is a great deal of them as well.

Calm seas to you!
    M
    We don't get to Anchorage this trip. Hope to fly up next time.

This is why I love this board everyone is so niceeeeeeeee.