Cut and Sew Question

Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Default Cut and Sew Question

(I hope this is in the right section because it really isn't quilting...)

I recently bought some vintage cut and sew fabric panels. I've never made these before, and I'm having trouble finding much about them online, save for others for sale. At first glance, it seems pretty basic and for the most part I know what I need to do.

Anyways, the directions say to stitch around stitch marks, but this design has them all over! I am just going around the outer border, I know the interior ones are decorative. There aren't any marks around the bow, but I assume I just follow the outer edge for that too? And that white area between the tail and the body - I'm having trouble visualizing this but I'm guessing once I've sewn there and turned it right side out that won't show?

As for slashing the "v" marks, that's just cutting the v's out the make it less bulky seams, correct?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm still a pretty new sewer.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Wow, haven't done any of those in a long time too. I would just sew around the white edge of character just outside of the vertical lines..I guess those are supposed to be like buttonhole stitch........and just clip those V shy of your sewed seam. Those snips allow the piece to round out nicely by opening up the curves.........
Old 02-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Yes, I think you would have to stitch around the bow tie also. It will real cute when you get it finished.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks, going to give it a try! I'm guessing just normal polyester stuffing would do the trick?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done one in a very long time either. You sew it first then cut out the Vs. Just sew around the color fabric except I don't think you sew that far down between the tail and where it almost touches the face.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

haven't seen them in about 30 yrs. I'd probably want to hand quilt it b4 sewing it together. cute.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 PM

Well I did sew down around the tail but yes it won't end up coming through right when I turn it inside out. Seems odd to have that white part there though. Too bad I haven't come across a completed one out there for reference!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:33 PM

This is the front, did you get the back also? I agree that you leave in that white piece between the tail and bow-tie. You could stitch on around the tail and over to the bow-tie, and you could turn the tail right side out, but it would be time consuming. I have a few pieces similar in my stash. I plan to use the front sides for a big applique instead of a pillow.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 PM

Would you sew around all the patchwork sections before putting the back on in order to make to look quilted.?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 AM

I used to make baby/kid quilts using these pillow panels. To get the front and back to match I'd sandwich my backing, bat and front together. I'd then put the back of the pillow panel on the back of the quilt and stitch around the stitching line. I would then cut the seam allowance fabric away very close to the stitching line. For the front I would cut away the the seam allowance and then place the edge of the pillow panel along the stitching line all the way around and pin it in place. I would then use a satin stitch to go around the outer edge of the front of the pillow panel. Since you are lining up the front to the back using the stitching line you are able to catch both sides at the same time and also secure your layers together. Wow, does this bring back memories when my kids were little.