Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter Moved Out

Blog Entries
    Didn't think I would have a hard time with my daughter moving out. She tried earlier this summer, only took her clothes but it was still very hard on me.

NOW....In Sept. she got married at the courthouse, which was a very big shock. We are just hoping for the best and helping them anyway we can. I just lend my ear when she needs to vent and keep my mouth shut.

They just got an apartment and are moving out today. Now that all her stuff is gone from her room, I don't know what to do....cry or be excited. She is after all starting her new Chapter in life but it's gonna be a hard one.

Thank you for letting me vent and get this off my chest.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to your daughter

now you can take her room and turn it into a cool quilting studio!

have fun!

Best wishes for your daughter and hubby for there new life together. And to you a new chapter in your life. We all have to let them spread there wings. Even if were not ready for it.

These transitions can be painful. I think quilting helps me to keep calm.

Blog Entries
    You will be fine...its hard for the first few months...I found once I cleaned out the boys rooms it helped alot! One is now a guest room for when they visit. They like it too...it feels like a visit instead of their old rooms...the other room we changed into an office/music room for my husband. I wish I had sewn back then. Instead of buying a guest bed I would have bought a sewing table.

{{{Hugs}}} Things have a way of working out. Hang in there.

She'll always be your little girl. That never changes. Hang in there.

Blog Entries
    It's going to take time. I first thought when my daughter left to college she was going to move back home. But, she joined Americorp and moved to Portland, Oregon. I was emotional. She is my only child. But, after she left, I did cry, but I felt excited too. I felt guilty that I was getting excited at first, but then I figured, hey I have to keep on living too. I wish her well, I send her my love all the time, and when we can we visit each other. So, take your time and feel your emotions, then get in gear and do what you like to do best - God bless!

It is hard to loose the kids. Especially when you are worried about their choices. Continueto be supportive and then if things get bad for her, she will know that she can come home to Mom.

Blog Entries
    Wish her well and move your sewing into her room! That way you have a new sewing room and you can be close to her also!

Your job as your daughter's mother was to educate her and equip her for life so that she could stand on her own two feet and live independently. It sounds as if you have done a great job and she is able to make decisions and live on her own. Although I'm sure that you will really miss her, you should be proud that you have successfully raised your child and your chick can fly by herself. Good luck to all of you in this next chapter of life!

It is very difficult when our children leave home, especially if we aren't overly happy with their choices. We have to let go, wish them the best, offer them our love and support, and move on. Maybe you can make a nice sewing room in her room, if you don't have one already.
    I cried each time one of my boys took a big step out the door lol.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for your kind words....I'm sitting here crying just reading all of your responses. I should be happy that she didn't move to far away and right now they will be coming home every weekend to do their laundry until they can afford to get a washer/dryer. Now, I should also set up a night that they can come over for dinner too. She makes mac n chz and he can make grilled chz sandwiches....LOL Can't live on that alone.

It's so hard to see them go. You are doing it just right. Keep an ear open and your mouth shut. I wish her the best. Maybe her room can be your new sewing room.

The idea of making her old room into a sewing room sounds good to me ... then make the new couple a quilt! :thumbup:
    Wishing them and you all the best. :lol:
    You're right, they can't live on cheese ... lol ... guess you'll be giving cooking lessons too!

My daughter started moving today and by tomorrow she will be completely gone. She is taking a room with 3 other room mates in Queens (we live in The Bronx). She has been with us for the last 4 weeks after being at grandma's for a year. I am going to hate to see her go but at the same time I am very excited to see her move on and growing up. I see a sewing room in your future.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea...sewing room and make them a quilt as a first project. Maybe use some of the fabrics in her room...the curtains.

I must be unusual, I always looked forward to them (3) moving out. 2 did need to come back when falling on hard times but, moved back out within a few months. Young kids and adult kids are not the same. Been without any kids for 21 yrs. and that makkes me very happy.
    Oldest DGD (23) has lived with us for 5 yrs. and is not the same as she lives her own life and very independent and responsible. We really only provide a room, she does all her own stuff.
    I would have felt a loser as a parent if they didn't grow up and take care of their ownselves, not normal for a kid to stay home.
    Good luck.

Sending you hugs.

I am odd women out too. I was happy when the kids moved out. No empty nest syndrome here. DD went to college, lived on her own for several years, when we moved across the states, she came with us and has lived with us since. She is 34. She cannot afford to live on her own, so we are stuck. Even tho we get along great, enjoy each other and doing things together, I would love for her to move out on her own again.
    I wish you well. You prepared her for this and she will do fine. Be supportive in their marriage and encouraging.

Hmmm yes definitely turn her room into a quilting studio. I hear you though. One of my 8 girls (19 year old) moved out. The first of the girls! She does come home frequently and moved out to be at the University for her junior year. A good and positive thing. It was double hard for me as she did not want to move out. She stayed as long as she could at the local junior college but ran out of classes for what she needed. Life goes on if we are ready or not and if they are ready or not. Hugs I hope your DD is not too far away. Best wishes on their wedding.

Blog Entries
    I cried my heart out when my oldest DD first moved out. She and my granddaughter moved out just six months after my Mom passed away. I got used to not having them here and kind of enjoyed having an extra room. Then she moved back after SIL lost his job and before their son was born. Now, almost 2 years later, I am ready for them to finally leave but doubt they ever will. LOL!!!

Paint the room and start mapping out your new sewing room...It gets easier by the week...I have 2 that are out of the house.

Sounds like a bittersweet departure.....I hope all goes well for her. Even marriages that start out the best can have a lot of problems....just be there for her when she needs you...... :-)

My oldest married at 19, she could cook but I made her a cookbook of all the family recipes, she loved it, have now made 5 more as my kids married and moved out. 5 cookbooks down 2 to go. It will give you something to do and she will really like it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast