Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - -

Power Poster

Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - -

If the Amish make a deliberate mistake on a quilt to be humble -

Do they do the same on a piece of furniture?
    On a meal they are cooking?
    On a piece of machinery they are building?
    On breeding their livestock?
    On putting up a fence?
    On a building they are putting up?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Isn't it an oxymoron if one is humble deliberately on purpose? Like, because if you didn't deliberately make a mistake (because you're really too good to make one by mistake, you see) then people would think you're really trying to be like God.

i never did get this.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    I think that is a myth. Any Amish work I've seen is top notch because the work of their hands is to glorify God.

Blog Entries
    They accept the fact nothing is perfect and tend to leave a mistake when it happens. They make from scratch, everything, so, there are always ( flaws) some you may not notice or perceive as a mistake- just like when you show a non quilter your quilt they have no idea it is not exactly the way you intended it to be, only you know your errors. Each time they cook doing all from scratch and memory the same dish can be different each time- use one seasoning once, something different the next.... What ever the case, they don't stress over not having/using exactly the same. And woodworking is the same. Maybe this piece of wood has a knot in it the next one does not, its used anyway, the carpenter may be unhappy with it, but we see it & think its beautiful. Or that fence may have 2 or 3 slightly warped posts-- a perfectionist with plenty of $ may toss those posted, the Amish are going to use them. Its not so much they go out of their way to create imperfections, they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    you said it right:they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    it is a myth that the amish purposely include a mistake.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Why is it perceived that the Amish are perfect (by some)? Of course they do beautiful work, they are human. Just sayin'... ��

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    They accept the fact nothing is perfect and tend to leave a mistake when it happens. They make from scratch, everything, so, there are always ( flaws) some you may not notice or perceive as a mistake- just like when you show a non quilter your quilt they have no idea it is not exactly the way you intended it to be, only you know your errors. Each time they cook doing all from scratch and memory the same dish can be different each time- use one seasoning once, something different the next.... What ever the case, they don't stress over not having/using exactly the same. And woodworking is the same. Maybe this piece of wood has a knot in it the next one does not, its used anyway, the carpenter may be unhappy with it, but we see it & think its beautiful. Or that fence may have 2 or 3 slightly warped posts-- a perfectionist with plenty of $ may toss those posted, the Amish are going to use them. Its not so much they go out of their way to create imperfections, they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.
    This explanation makes sense.

I know I don't ever have to worry about intentionally making a mistake....they happen all on their own and I frequently miss them to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    you said it right:they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.
    I like the way you said it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I know I don't ever have to worry about intentionally making a mistake....they happen all on their own and I frequently miss them to fix.
    WE have been discussing copywrite a lot in quilt group lately. My question here is this.....if you are using a pattern and you make a mistake and leave it, thus making it your own, does that mean it no longer pertains to any copywrite issue?

I try very hard to not make mistakes BUT, I do. I don't have to try to make mistakes, they just happen.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who always messes up one block on her quilts on purpose because of this. Drives me nuts. But they are her quilts she can do what she wants.

Blog Entries
    Quote from an Amish woman :- I make enough mistakes so don't need to do it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    Quote from an Amish woman :- I make enough mistakes so don't need to do it on purpose.
    This is what the Amish quilters told me. Ask an Amish quilter. Get it from the horse's mouth!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
    WE have been discussing copywrite a lot in quilt group lately. My question here is this.....if you are using a pattern and you make a mistake and leave it, thus making it your own, does that mean it no longer pertains to any copywrite issue?
    no, it does not mean that.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I have never heard this concept before. My Mennonite mother would not have thought making a mistake acceptable. I've never seen this in practice in their quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I TOO like what Lynnie said. I made one small mistake in my Bargello quilt that I posted here. I only found it out AFTER I quilted it. But I do accept the fact that I am human and being disable, I make MORE mistakes than I want to count.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I personally think "the myth" just adds to the charm of an Amish quilt. I am lucky to have one of their beautiful creations & I will cherish it forever.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    I have never heard this concept before. My Mennonite mother would not have thought making a mistake acceptable. I've never seen this in practice in their quilting.
    An Amish lady has quilted three of my tops. None of them came back with any noticeable mistake. All I noticed was the beautiful handwork, and I gave thanks that she was willing to help.

Lynnie nailed it with her comment. Thanks, Lynnie!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Lynnie was quoting from the post above hers from ckcowl. She didn't make it up. There are several other posts here that credited Lynnie with that quote.
    The credit needs to go to ckcowl.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I was told by my Grandmother that only God excepts imperfection. So when you make a quilt, to always have a small flaw in it whether noticeable to the eye or not. That way at night if the enemy (Devil) tries to fallow the pattern of the quilt to attack you, he will run into the flaw & back away. You will then always be protected by our good Lord while sleeping.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I was told by my Grandmother that only God excepts imperfection. So when you make a quilt, to always have a small flaw in it whether noticeable to the eye or not. That way at night if the enemy (Devil) tries to fallow the pattern of the quilt to attack you, he will run into the flaw & back away. You will then always be protected by our good Lord while sleeping.
    How about other things that are made by humans?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Lynnie was quoting from the post above hers from ckcowl. She didn't make it up. There are several other posts here that credited Lynnie with that quote.
    The credit needs to go to ckcowl.
    Yep, you're right. Mistakes happen when I read things quickly. Ckcowl is the original poster.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have also read that this is a myth. Amazing how they keep being repeated through the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast