Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks ladies:) I'll check out all the links.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

I wish U lived near me. We could do lunch once a week and sew everyday. Sounds great to me !!! Before I joined the guild, I had nothing in common with the people that live around me. I too don't go to bars. Bonnie
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Check at the Library too and usually the quilt shops have business cards and leaflets of nearby activity and they always have classes at the store.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by sarahconner
I wish U lived near me. We could do lunch once a week and sew everyday. Sounds great to me !!! Before I joined the guild, I had nothing in common with the people that live around me. I too don't go to bars. Bonnie
I agree. Joining a quilt guild has allowed me to meet so many more people. Wish you lived closer to me. My youngest sister and a friend both belong to the same one as me and it gives us something to do together. But being in the guild has made me more outgoing. It is amazing how many quilters there are out there that you may not know about. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM

i am also the only one i know that quilts around me. I live about 45 minutes from you...but i know that there are quilters in your area ...i have met them at quilt shows
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. If we lived closer we could be friends. Since you have children have you checked out MOPs groups (mothers of preschoolers)? What about the local library do they have children's story hour? You might be able to meet other moms who are your age and don't party.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I understand. I too do not drink. Many times I've given in and been the designated driver just so they shut up. Stick to your guns. Have you considered the PTA at your kids school for contacts? Google quilt stores in your area. If they are close enough, go visit and ask if they have a general sewing time where the ladies just bring what they are working on and come in and sew. Be sure and tell them that you are new to the area and don't know where to begin. A good shop owner will point you in the direction of those who can help you. I'm getting ready to make the move after 16 years of being in the same place. I'm moving 50 miles away to a BIG city. I know the area, but I won't know anyone besides my kids and grandkids. They have their own lives and I don't want to interfer. (sp) You will be welcomed on here any time you get on. Please don't give up, or give in. We'll all be your best buddies. Welcome from western Ohio soon to be Columbus, Ohio. Cheryl
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Oh dear, I know just how you feel. I've had the same experience of moving to a new place and having difficulty 'connecting.' Check to see if there is a welcome wagon organization in your area, if so there may be a a "newcomer's club' that you could go to. Also, MOPS as somebody else mentioned, I also made some friends by volunteering in my kids school one day a week. But the best and closest of my friends all are from church. I hope you find somebody soon, but you can always come to this board for lots of support and encouragement!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM

One of the best pieces of advice I ever was received, was when you are trying to find your place in a new town, join three organizations. Different types. Such as quilting guild, church, baseball/bowling/curling/badminton/whatever, Parent/Teacher group, filling/serving at food banks, service groups like Rotary or Kiwanas, whatever suits your fancy!

The key is to find different groups that would have different people.

Good luck :)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I live in NewBaltimore Mi. I am 32 years old and do not have a single person besides my sisters and my mom, that I could consider a great friend. I do not have anything in common with the woman around here at all....NOTHING....I'm a stay at home mom with four kids...my idea of fun is sitting at home and quilting of corse...or going to the fabric store.lol. the other women around here like to go bar hopping and I do not. They have invited me and insist I must go, and that I'm crazy to be the age I am and not want to go out to the bar. These are the woman my age around here. So as for the older women who I might have something in common with, they take one look at me and I look alot younger than I am, and think I'm a teen mom or something, and don't wish to talk to me. I've been dealing with this for as long as I can without getting depressed,but now it's really getting to me.
Geez, I know how you feel....I am just now 50...moved here nearly 6 years ago and have not a single friend even close to my age to do anything with...and while I respect my older friends, I do not go to bed at 10pm, I can walk 10 miles a day if I need/want to...these ladies can not and have no desire to even try...

sorry I don't live up in MI any more...