Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

I live in NewBaltimore Mi. I am 32 years old and do not have a single person besides my sisters and my mom, that I could consider a great friend. I do not have anything in common with the woman around here at all....NOTHING....I'm a stay at home mom with four kids...my idea of fun is sitting at home and quilting of corse...or going to the fabric store.lol. the other women around here like to go bar hopping and I do not. They have invited me and insist I must go, and that I'm crazy to be the age I am and not want to go out to the bar. These are the woman my age around here. So as for the older women who I might have something in common with, they take one look at me and I look alot younger than I am, and think I'm a teen mom or something, and don't wish to talk to me. I've been dealing with this for as long as I can without getting depressed,but now it's really getting to me.

not sure how far away you are from me, Iam close to South Bend IN. I am kinda in the same boat. I wish I had someone close to me, we moved here a year ago and havent found anyone who sews close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
    not sure how far away you are from me, Iam close to South Bend IN. I am kinda in the same boat. I wish I had someone close to me, we moved here a year ago and havent found anyone who sews close by.
    Thats when I moved here, a year ago. Your pretty far from me though...lol

I dont live near you but when I googled quilt guilds in your area, I found Hands of Friendship.

Sometimes one contact will lead to lots of other contact information. I would try to email and phone the contact given and call all the fabric stores in a 30 mile radius for info on any group get togethers. Keep asking about local individuals or guilt bees you can talk to. We quilters are a friendly bunch and would love to help.

yep,,,, same here in west central Minnesota......

Is there a Extension group or garden club in your area? I married an only child and moved far from home. Everyone seemed to have social groups and women my age were school buddies or had extended family ties. I was introduced to the WVa Extension Homemakers' Club and later Garden Club. These ladies were retired but active women and became like grandmothers to my boys. I felt right at home with them and now I'm their age and I still miss them like family. I hope you find friends soon.
    One thought is to find out if there is a group sewing/quilting for charity. Seems they would welcome help. Church was/is a place to make connections. Good luck.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Brandy do you have a quilt guild near you? Ask at the local quilt shop or any fabric store and they could tell you if there is one. Also you might consider going to a church if you don't already. Maybe you could meet some others with the same interests as you. Don't get depressed. You have 4 beautiful kids to occupy your time. Maybe you could do some simple quilting crafts with them. Never to early to start them sewing. I am teaching a young gal at church to quilt. She's 28 and is the same age as my youngest son. She did a 10 min block quilt and donated it to Relay for Life to raise money for cancer. Good luck and I do hope you find someone to sew with. I am sure you need some "ME" time away from the kids. Or you could maybe volunteer at the school where your kids go and maybe meet some of the other Mom's there. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b sadly I am too far away from you to sew with you..

Blog Entries
    Same here for me too. But we have this wonderful board to go for support! :)

http://www.macombcountyquiltguild.org/meetings.html

Looks like it is around 12 miles from New Baltimore to Mt. Clemons and it meets once a month. They should be able to give you a whole lot of info on what is available locally. Maybe there is an open bee you can join that is closer or a smaller group that meets closer.

give them a call.

Hey, wished you lived closer. I wasn't into bar hopping when I was 32. I had my first child at 29 and second at 34. I have better things to do. I don't have a huge circle of friends. Just about 6 close friends. (met at 1 at work, 2 at college, 2 through my husband (his friends' wives, 1 neighbor)

Are your kids in a playgroup with some nice parents? Do you go to church? the local gym? quilt guild? All good places to meet people to hang out with. There's also a "mother's group" in my town where some of my neighbors have made friends (the one thing I found funny is that they tend to snub working moms like me. LOL)

Remember that how you choose to spend your free time is healthier for you and your kids and in the long run, much better.

Thanks ladies:) I'll check out all the links.

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    I wish U lived near me. We could do lunch once a week and sew everyday. Sounds great to me !!! Before I joined the guild, I had nothing in common with the people that live around me. I too don't go to bars. Bonnie

Check at the Library too and usually the quilt shops have business cards and leaflets of nearby activity and they always have classes at the store.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahconner
    I wish U lived near me. We could do lunch once a week and sew everyday. Sounds great to me !!! Before I joined the guild, I had nothing in common with the people that live around me. I too don't go to bars. Bonnie
    I agree. Joining a quilt guild has allowed me to meet so many more people. Wish you lived closer to me. My youngest sister and a friend both belong to the same one as me and it gives us something to do together. But being in the guild has made me more outgoing. It is amazing how many quilters there are out there that you may not know about. Good luck!

i am also the only one i know that quilts around me. I live about 45 minutes from you...but i know that there are quilters in your area ...i have met them at quilt shows

I am so sorry to hear that. If we lived closer we could be friends. Since you have children have you checked out MOPs groups (mothers of preschoolers)? What about the local library do they have children's story hour? You might be able to meet other moms who are your age and don't party.

I understand. I too do not drink. Many times I've given in and been the designated driver just so they shut up. Stick to your guns. Have you considered the PTA at your kids school for contacts? Google quilt stores in your area. If they are close enough, go visit and ask if they have a general sewing time where the ladies just bring what they are working on and come in and sew. Be sure and tell them that you are new to the area and don't know where to begin. A good shop owner will point you in the direction of those who can help you. I'm getting ready to make the move after 16 years of being in the same place. I'm moving 50 miles away to a BIG city. I know the area, but I won't know anyone besides my kids and grandkids. They have their own lives and I don't want to interfer. (sp) You will be welcomed on here any time you get on. Please don't give up, or give in. We'll all be your best buddies. Welcome from western Ohio soon to be Columbus, Ohio. Cheryl

Oh dear, I know just how you feel. I've had the same experience of moving to a new place and having difficulty 'connecting.' Check to see if there is a welcome wagon organization in your area, if so there may be a a "newcomer's club' that you could go to. Also, MOPS as somebody else mentioned, I also made some friends by volunteering in my kids school one day a week. But the best and closest of my friends all are from church. I hope you find somebody soon, but you can always come to this board for lots of support and encouragement!

One of the best pieces of advice I ever was received, was when you are trying to find your place in a new town, join three organizations. Different types. Such as quilting guild, church, baseball/bowling/curling/badminton/whatever, Parent/Teacher group, filling/serving at food banks, service groups like Rotary or Kiwanas, whatever suits your fancy!

The key is to find different groups that would have different people.

Good luck :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
    I live in NewBaltimore Mi. I am 32 years old and do not have a single person besides my sisters and my mom, that I could consider a great friend. I do not have anything in common with the woman around here at all....NOTHING....I'm a stay at home mom with four kids...my idea of fun is sitting at home and quilting of corse...or going to the fabric store.lol. the other women around here like to go bar hopping and I do not. They have invited me and insist I must go, and that I'm crazy to be the age I am and not want to go out to the bar. These are the woman my age around here. So as for the older women who I might have something in common with, they take one look at me and I look alot younger than I am, and think I'm a teen mom or something, and don't wish to talk to me. I've been dealing with this for as long as I can without getting depressed,but now it's really getting to me.
    Geez, I know how you feel....I am just now 50...moved here nearly 6 years ago and have not a single friend even close to my age to do anything with...and while I respect my older friends, I do not go to bed at 10pm, I can walk 10 miles a day if I need/want to...these ladies can not and have no desire to even try...

sorry I don't live up in MI any more...

Check to see if there is a Project Linus group in your area, great minds all think alike. I love my group of ladies, they are diverse in every way imaginable but we have a great time sharing and talking.

If you go to the top of the page to "User List" you can search for people in your area that are on this board. Then PM some! I wish you well.

Church is a good idea...too

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Visit your local church. Often they have some form of women's group that does something or they certainly know someone who quilts.

kareil3 lives in New Baltimore MI, you might try PM'g her. I would repost this message and entitle it "I live in New Baltimore MI, looking to meet some fellow board members", or something like that.

You can go to the User List and type in cities/state that are close to you and see if anyone comes up in those areas, that's how I found kareil3.

I live in CA but I spend time in Austin TX and Yakima WA and that's how I've found board members to meet and plan get togethers with in those areas.

Blog Entries
    I can relate and all I can say is spend your energies on your family, your hobbies, and finding peace with this. I am years older than you and have dealt with this all my life too. I lost many friends because I chose a life with no bar hopping or weekends with partying at each others' houses. I like a good Golden Margarita or glass of wine maybe 2-3 times ayear, but I chose to make sure I am alert when my family may need me. And that can be 24/7. Nothing wrong with you or I, we just chose a different lifestyle and refuse to sway. I personally am not friends with anyone near me that quilts or sews. My friends are my husband, grown children, daughters in law, and their parents, plus very close friends with a couple in another state. No one I worked with sewed or had any interest in what I did. (you know those people, they pretend to be your friend, but once you leave they never talk to you again.) No one I grew up with did. None of the neighbors find time. Join a quilting group at church if you can. What a great way to find younger women and/or men who quilt, as perhaps they have family or younger friends you could meet up with. And the older ladies and gents are wonderful to be around, you learn so much from them. I found out there are more people that quilt in my area just by going to LQS-they have classes whereby you can meet lots of great folks. Good place to meet people your age. You just have to do it. And I should add, what helps me deal with days that can be lonely, is taking D-3, B6 and B12, calcium and magnesium. I try to eat read so I have the energy to try and be upbeat daily. It does work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast