Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DH's response to "a lot of fabric"

DH's response to "a lot of fabric"

When I was posting to Stitch124 : http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...g-t218137.html , I was chuckling to myself about how supportive our spouses are. DH and I are considering moving closer to the GKs within the next year or so while they are little and still think we are the greatest. I am in charge of seeking out a couple of realtors to be in the running of marketing our home. I had one lady out this week to take an initial look at our home. I let her know that I had emptied the dining room hutch onto the DR table and there were piles of donations in each room (until DH can get them out to garage). I also "warned" her that I sew and quilt and that I am in the midst of two projects and cutting which means that it is not "show ready". When we came downstairs to finish the meeting, she asked if we were going to get a storage unit. I guess my expression showed and she said, "Well, there is a lot of fabric! and all that stuff over there by the door." (FYI: stuff by door is donation) I just said, "I don't think we need to do that!" When DH came home, I was retelling this story. He just turned and said, "She doesn't know you, though. So where will you be putting that extra fabric? There's plenty of room in the garage, if you need it. " Well, let's see. Several tops going to quilters! The packaged batting will be stored in the biggest suitcase- why not? Why not store some things under the bed or in the kids' empty dressers or nightstands- they haven't lived here since 2002? There are colored totes in basement that would "hide" some of it, too- right??? And the funniest part of this is that I didn't even open the sewing room closet for her- yikes! Thought you might need a chuckle for the day and like me, a reality check!
    Last edited by AUQuilter; 04-04-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Thank you, AU for the chuckle. My DH & I are also considering a move. We watch a lot of Real Estate shows and House Hunter shows. The other night we saw a beautiful home with a studio above the garage and he says "That would be perfect for your sewing studio". Wow--do I have him trained or what LOL??????
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Just thought of one more place ... the trunk of my car that doesn't get driven much. Large trunk- can hold a lot of fabric bolts, bags of fabric and tools- Oh, how do I know that???

Blog Entries
    Selling a house while you are still in it , can't be a lot of fun, good luck. Of course if you "hide" all your stash you will not be able to find anything when you are looking for it. Then you will have to go buy more. SO... ok Hide away... :-)

dont forget the floor of the car i just saw they arrest a man with finding 6 million of gold in the floor of his car if he put gold you can put fabric we sound addicit
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    A few years ago we were thinking about moving to a different house and went to look at a house. It had a beautiful large loft area. It was completely packed with fabric, sewing machines, UFOs and everything else that all of us have in our quilting rooms. The woman of the house was there and sincerely apologized for the state of the loft. I laughed and said it did not bother me at all and that it would look exactly the same if we moved into that house. (We did not buy that house, but not for that reason of the loft condition.)

Loved your story!

Sometimes I think people selling their house go a little over board on making it look nice. I agree you should have more than a path to get to where you want to go, but to have to move everything out is over doing it. I would be like quiltingfan, I would have to go out and buy more and then it would start all over again. We sold our last house about 6 years ago. I wanted to move things to storage, but DH said no. We sold the house to the second person that looked at it and the realtor had taken the person in before we could clean it up. My sewing room was a mess at the time.
    Sophie2

You may want to think of it in another way. Instead of "hiding" it and then packing it when you move. Pack it now and save yourself a step.

In general a de-cluttered house will sell faster and for a higher price. If you don't need a fast sale or aren't really concerned about the actual sale price, letting it look "lived in" is perfectly acceptable.

I know when I was looking I would not really consider a packed or untidy house.

Blog Entries
    I don't know where the Loft house is but I will take it!!! My sewing room is a very small bedroom but am grateful for what I have!!!!! Blessings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
    A few years ago we were thinking about moving to a different house and went to look at a house. It had a beautiful large loft area. It was completely packed with fabric, sewing machines, UFOs and everything else that all of us have in our quilting rooms. The woman of the house was there and sincerely apologized for the state of the loft. I laughed and said it did not bother me at all and that it would look exactly the same if we moved into that house. (We did not buy that house, but not for that reason of the loft condition.)

Loved your story!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

[QUOTE=seamstome;5977121]You may want to think of it in another way. Instead of "hiding" it and then packing it when you move. Pack it now and save yourself a step.

Thanks for the ideas. When I headed down to the basement today, I decided to hit one of the storage closets first. In there is an oversized beige tote holding all the non-Christmas decorations. Since I haven't put more than 3-4 items from that box out in the last 10 years, I thought I would empty it and fill with projects bins and bulky items that I won't need soon. Although this is our fifth home and have lived here 20 years, we have continued to de-clutter each fall and spring. But this is the first time it will be on our dime. So thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming.

Then there are some of us who don't intend to move until that final one; but chuckle each time we buy more fabric at what the "lucky" kids who will have to clean the house out in the end, will be thinking....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Folks will look in the closets. They just about look anywhere they want, so keep things neat for a fast sale. I had some stash and it was kept in plastic tubs and dressers during the sale period. It does help to have things look as neat as possible and decluttered. Some folks can't see the house for the clutter. We did have a professional stager come (paid for by the realtor) and give us suggestions. We did what we could & then the realtor had an interior decorator come in and take the stuff we had and rearranged it for us. Took one week to sell. Worth the extra work and effort to us.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As a quilter and a realtor, I can understand both sides. When you get ready to market your house, you will want to keep your stash as organized as possible. There's a big difference between organized and clutter. I would suggest, that as long as you are organized and can make it possible after receiving an offer on your home so if need be the buyer wants an inspection conducted. As long as they are able to inspect without interference, you should have no problem. And if you keep it organized, I'm sure it will only add more color and dimension to the home. It may not be on market long. So be prepared. Also keep in mind when you speak with your realtor, you may want time after closing and funding before the buyer takes possession. Would give you a little more time to pack and move. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    Then there are some of us who don't intend to move until that final one; but chuckle each time we buy more fabric at what the "lucky" kids who will have to clean the house out in the end, will be thinking....
    My niece will be inheriting everything from me and I have already told her that I am not cleaning out anything; that will be the price of her getting it. Her reply..."Cool, a treasure hunt!"

Boy, I love her!

Blog Entries
    Well at least its a start on packing for the move. I rented a 22ft Penske truck for my move from Ohio to Missouri last year and my son and brother loaded and unloaded it for me.They swear that the truck was divided in 3rds=1/3 of the space was used for furniture and appls.and my personal affects--1/3 for sewing room furnishings and the last 1/3 for fabric plus the trunk and front seat of my car and I already had 14 huge totes stored here in Dads basement. I tell every one that they exaggerated things a wee bit But my DSSIL lets everyone know that the boys were closer to the truth then I'm willing to admit.

Pack all your fragile items in fabric - I did this last year and had no problems. But I don't have a large stash yet (lol).
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Since I got a larger sewing room with 2 big closets I have all my fabrics neatly put away. I can see exactly what all I have. I have no desire to move anywhere. My Daughter and Granddaughter will inherit all my sewing things. Daughter is a quilter also and has her own stash, Granddaughter has no intentions of ever sewing. It will be their problem. I am sewing on a quilt all the time and trying to use it up. Don't figure I will live to be 100 -200 years old.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    We just moved a few months ago. My realtor said that my quilting room had to go....that people would want to see it set up as a bedroom. Apparently some people have no imagination. I mean, really, could you not just think, "we'll, the bed would go here, the closet is over there." Anyway, I packed up everything and labelled the boxes, and we put everything into a storage unit. I really missed having my sewing room. But we've moved, and the great news is that I now have an entire casita all to myself. Everything is in its place and I can sew until the middle of the night if I wish without disturbing anyone.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Blog Entries
    The second bathroom tub. I had to clean out my home office to re do floors and needed a place to get stuff out of the way. No one ever looks in the tub if the curtain is closed- lol
    http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

We sold our house 6yrs ago this summer. I couple from Florida were looking to relocate closer to family. When we met the couple to sign the papers, the lady said "When I pulled up the pics of the house on the realitors site, I saw your craft room and your huge yellow peg board. I was sold on the house." They bought the house, but I had stated I wanted to keep the peg board, it was DH and I, 1st project as newlyweds. Long story short they bought the house, it had been on the market less than a month, I know we were blessed because the market had taken a big hit. She got my peg board, but we now have a house just the right size for us and it is paid for!
    DH and I still joke about her getting my yellow peg board!
    Country1
    Country 1

I went to a tag sale awhile ago, and it really scared me.. The wife past away in her forties, and the husband was getting ready to move. The upper floor had two rooms, and fabric that she would never have been able to use if she lived to 100.. I would've bought a ton of fabric, but was totally overwhelmed by all that was there..

Ah, ignorance is such bliss. I'm surprised that the realtor hasn't been to a quilter's house before. LOL

We are going to get ready to put our house up for sale. I sew for my second job and everything gets put on hold (all my projects and even house cleaning) when I have a sewing job I'm working on. My husband said they will just have to understand. I do plan on taking down one of my machines and cabinet and fold down the extensions on the other cabinet. Then my projects and stash can be put in totes in the basement or I'll sort as I go and doante or put in a garage sale. I do want the room to look like it could be a bedroom, which it is.
    gmaybee

QM
    When we were house hunting 2 years ago we saw a wonderful place with a studio over the garage. DH said the same thing about it being right for my quilting. Our bid was rejected, unfortunately. The place was still on the market last time I looked.

Power Poster
    Good luck with the move AU, would have a hard time moving but can understand that you want to get closer to the GK, as there is nothing better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast