Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did ya ever...

Blog Entries
    Did you ever have something to eat, in a home or a restaurant, that you would give your right arm to find the recipe for? I was in my friend's, great grandmother's home, when I was a teenager, and was served breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, and chocolate gravy. Sounds bizarre, but that chocolate gravy was one of the best things to ever hit my tongue. I never thought to ask her how she made it, nor do I have anyway of finding that long-lost friend, so I guess unless one of you has some idea, I will just remember it fondly. The worst thing ever served to me, was NOT what I thought I had ordered in a restaurant. I wanted Chili and corn bread. This is one of my favorite combos. Never order it in Tennessee. Evidently in Tennessee, what we call cornbread doesn't exist. (You know, that bright yellow, cake looking corn bread.) In some parts of the south, they serve what I always saw as "Hoecakes". In this restaurant, it was made with white corn meal. Imagine a damp, anemic looking pancake that has NO color. Ewwwe! :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    Chocolate Gravy:

1/3 stick butter
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup cocoa
    2 cups whole milk
    Heat butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Mix in sugar, flour and cocoa. Slowly pour 1 cup of milk into the skillet and whisk well to remove lumps. Whisk in remaining milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, being careful not to scorch. Serve hot over
    This is from Paula Dean....enjoy

Why I love this board so many wonderful people with that missing link we need!!!

OMG I nevr heard of choc gravy....i am in heaven!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Chocolate Gravy:

1/3 stick butter
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup cocoa
    2 cups whole milk
    Heat butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Mix in sugar, flour and cocoa. Slowly pour 1 cup of milk into the skillet and whisk well to remove lumps. Whisk in remaining milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, being careful not to scorch. Serve hot over
    This is from Paula Dean....enjoy
    OMG! You are my new best friend! Starting to look like you just made a lot of 'best friends' on here! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Chocolate gravy=memories of Mawmaw.. she would start making the gravy before she fixed breakfast..letting it simmer while she made shaped by hand homemade bicuits, fried up bacon so crispy,the prettiest golden srambled eggs. You could smell the gravy as soon as your head came out from under the five quilts she had piled on you during the night. You ate your breakfast as quick as possible and couldn't wait to open that biscuit in bowl, slather( yes slather with butter)spoon chocolate gravy on, secure large glass of milk... and dig in ...eyes rolling back in head...aaahhh HEAVEN. That's what I think of when someone mentions chocolate gravy.

Greek Easter Bread!!!!MMMM. But I discovered how to make it!

It is wonderful...

Power Poster
    I had never heard of chocolate gravy before - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amazon
    Chocolate gravy=memories of Mawmaw.. she would start making the gravy before she fixed breakfast..letting it simmer while she made shaped by hand homemade bicuits, fried up bacon so crispy,the prettiest golden srambled eggs. You could smell the gravy as soon as your head came out from under the five quilts she had piled on you during the night. You ate your breakfast as quick as possible and couldn't wait to open that biscuit in bowl, slather( yes slather with butter)spoon chocolate gravy on, secure large glass of milk... and dig in ...eyes rolling back in head...aaahhh HEAVEN. That's what I think of when someone mentions chocolate gravy.
    WoW for a minute I felt like I was right there in that kitchen ready to eat Bkfst. Thanks for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Evidently in Tennessee, what we call cornbread doesn't exist. (You know, that bright yellow, cake looking corn bread.) In some parts of the south, they serve what I always saw as "Hoecakes". In this restaurant, it was made with white corn meal. Imagine a damp, anemic looking pancake that has NO color. Ewwwe! :thumbdown:
    Lol :) Just goes to show the different taste and ways to make food in various parts of the country. It's what we're used to eating I guess. :)

chocolate gravy? for real? for breakfast? over biscuits? I'll pass, sounds too weird for me.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Chcolate gravy is to die for. We put ours on waffles.

Blog Entries
    I never heard of such a thing, bet DH would like it, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Chcolate gravy is to die for. We put ours on waffles.
    Yummmmmmmmmy!!!!!!!!!

Yum. I'm trying this one. Paula Dean never led me wrong.

Ive never heard of it either, but I BET its AWESOMEon wafles and pancakes. Isnt EVERYTHING better with chocolate?????????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    chocolate gravy? for real? for breakfast? over biscuits? I'll pass, sounds too weird for me.
    Honestly, that's what I thought before the first bite...

The chocolate gravy my friends in Arkansas made was like regular gravy with cocoa added. Some people added a small amount of sugar, some didn't. It was good, but more like gravy then pudding..... :-D

sounds like when i make belgium waffles for breakfast and have chocolate syrup on top instead of maple syrup....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Did you ever have something to eat, in a home or a restaurant, that you would give your right arm to find the recipe for? I was in my friend's, great grandmother's home, when I was a teenager, and was served breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, and chocolate gravy. Sounds bizarre, but that chocolate gravy was one of the best things to ever hit my tongue. I never thought to ask her how she made it, nor do I have anyway of finding that long-lost friend, so I guess unless one of you has some idea, I will just remember it fondly. The worst thing ever served to me, was NOT what I thought I had ordered in a restaurant. I wanted Chili and corn bread. This is one of my favorite combos. Never order it in Tennessee. Evidently in Tennessee, what we call cornbread doesn't exist. (You know, that bright yellow, cake looking corn bread.) In some parts of the south, they serve what I always saw as "Hoecakes". In this restaurant, it was made with white corn meal. Imagine a damp, anemic looking pancake that has NO color. Ewwwe! :thumbdown:
    Sorry I don't have the gravy recipe to give but i do have a carnbread recipe i have been making for 40+ years

I cup yellow corn meal, I heaping TablespoonFlour,
    I /2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg 1&1/4 cups buttermilk, 1Tablespoon oil.

Mix dry ingredients together.Mix well. The add the wet ingredients along with the eeg beaten. Mix well and pour into cast Iron pan That has been sprayed with a oil and that has been heated to 350
    bake @350 for 20 min.
    I hope you like this as much as my family and friends have over the years.

DH kept talking about chocolate gravy, and even though it sounded weird and kind of gross to me, I found a recipe and made some for him awhile back.

It's good.

A little TOO good! :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Ok I'm done watching this chocolate gravy topic, I'm gonna wind up blowing my weight loss all to heck. LOL.

Power Poster
    Never heard of it!

Blog Entries
    Am bookmarking this for sure. Need to remember this recipe, and when I loose my weight will try it for a special treat. Thanks

WOW, never heard of chocolate gravy, but i am game to try it :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast