Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you have a poodle skirt? >

Did you have a poodle skirt?

Did you have a poodle skirt?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Mine was turquoise felt--don't remember the color of the poodle. Wore it with white twin sweater set, bobby sox & black & white saddle shoes. My crinoline was white. This was in the late 50s. My dad always made us wear a seat belt in the car (he had installed racing belts in his '57 Vette--long before belts long before belts were standard equipment in cars). The belt was much wider than standard belts are now. It scrunched my skirt & made it all wrinkly. I was so upset. LOL
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Red with white poodle.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Absolutely!!! A dark royal blue with white poodle. I must have really whined for it because we didn't have much money when I was in high school.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Mine was medium charcoal grey felt / white poodle / pink accents.
I really, really, really wanted the pink skirt, but in retrospect the grey was a better choice and it's still a really, really, really favorite color of mine today.
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM

I had a full circle felt skirt, but I did NOT want a Poodle on it. I found a pink skirt with huge pink buttons all the way down the front. One crinoline?? I can remember wearing at least four at a time. Such fun with those desks. The skirt took up the whole aisle and all available space under the desk.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM

I had a scottie skirt. It was gray with the scottie in a plaid sweater on the skirt. Never got the poodle one but did want one. When I was 11 in 1958 and I could no longer wear the skirt I cut out the scottie and made a doll skirt of the gray felt.

Almost forgot! About 15 years ago my youngest sister (born in 1958 so was way too young to know about poodle skirt craze) asked me to make one for a halloween costume for her. It was a pink skirt with white poodle. I told her about the sweater she need to wear and the high-on-the-head pony tail with a chiffon scarf tied on it. Then she got a pair of white tennis shoes and painted them to look like B/W saddle shoes. I had an elastic cinch belt I'd bought in Hawaii some years back to go with it also and I told her to roll her socks down--not fold down. She also had a pair of white framed cat's eye glasses from my Mom's stuff that she took the lenses out of and wore to the party. She won 1st prize!!! The older people she worked with commented that they were amazed at the details she had from that era then she told them I coached her on it--and she revealed my age to them!!!

Last edited by Linda - K.; 11-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Mine was gray with a white poodle with pink on it. I wore it with saddle oxfords, bobby socks (we wore 2 pair so that the roll down way "fat") and a pink sweater twin set. I loved my two crinolines. I thought I was hot stuff. I remember starching the crinolines and laying them in a circle on the grass to dry in the sunshine. I remember how they scratched my legs even with a half slip on. LOL
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM

These are so much fun to read! I'd never known about the crinolines or rolling the socks down (never saw that in pictures). And some of the skirts were made of felt???? Was it washable, or did it have to be dry cleaned?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM

My skirt was gray with the large poodle with the curly 'poodle-do,' pink collar, gold soutache leash from collar to waistband...my little sister had the same gray skirt but with white pony, and pink bows in his mane. They were made by my mom's best friend from high school, but my mom made the crinolines...3 different colors of pink from baby to rose... stacked till they showed! Thirty years later when Reebocks came out with saddle shoe leather tennies, I was there first in line...I have them in blue/white, black/white and red/white...still wear them when i'm in the mood! She knew how to use the ruffler on her machine and my sister and I had crinolines in every color...she used to wash them and then spread them on the lawn in a circle and spray them with her own mixture of starch and water and leaving them till they dried! Nylon net used to go on sale for 10 yds for dollar back then...I had one (black) for a black taffeta party dress (8th grade) that she sprayed with starch and then while it was wet, she sprinkled with silver glitter to match the trim on the dress...I'm sure I left glitter behind me everywhere but I loved that dress with it's matching crinoline!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 PM

mine was black with a pink poodle, I made one for my daughter when she was in kindergarten for a 50's event
they we having brought back a lot of great memories