Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Differences noticed between garment sewing (with woven fabrics) and piecing >

Differences noticed between garment sewing (with woven fabrics) and piecing

Differences noticed between garment sewing (with woven fabrics) and piecing

Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 AM

I think lately garment seams are less than the 5/8"...cutting back on fabric in the industry.....in my opinion, grain line is just as important in quilting as it is in garment making.....there is a reason for straight of grain vs. bias cut, in both instances.......
Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I have had to throw away thread--good thread I bought and did not use for some time. Was it good thread from the start? No longer make clothes for me or my kids and grans, off the rack is cheaper than store fabric.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I seem to remember reading that many years ago, there were different recommended seam allowances for different kinds of seams, and they were all averaged to 5/8" to make it easier.

I quit making my own clothes when I found out how inexpensive thrift stores were. That, and patterns went up in price.
When I was a teenager it was cheaper to sew your own clothes than buy them. I don't think that's the case anymore, with the price of fabric and patterns, and the casual way people dress now. (Although the price of new ripped up jeans are ridiculous!.)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM

I've made garments extensively and still do. Now, I focus more on quilting and wearable art. My reasons for making my own clothes were that I could have really good quality, original clothes. I've never liked wearing what other people wear and feel that my clothes are an expression of myself so I love have original design clothing.

For me one of the biggest differences is that in quilting one of the goals is to make everything flat. In garment construction there is a lot of easing and manipulation to make things fit the body.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:19 PM

I made most of my own clothes starting when I was about 8 -- I did it because it was cheaper to buy fabric and thread. I had 3 or 4 patterns that I modified to make everything I needed. I did a 5/8" seam, but now I see that many folks use 1/2" seam. For knits using a serger I believe I have heard you can do 3/8". I was told when I started quilting that the reason we use a 1/4" seam is that the quilt top is secured with stitching so there is not enough stress on seams to cause them to ravel. I was also told that when you tie a quilt you should allow a 1/2" seam allowance so the seams don't come apart with a lot of wear (I am repairing an tied baby quilt now that raveled pretty bad).
Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 PM

I came to quilting very late in life after years of extensive garment and some household sewing. The hardest thing for me was the accuracy of the seam allowance. 1/8" makes little difference in a garment or a drapery, but a huge difference in a pieced quilt block. Then I learned that my beloved sewing machine couldn't quilt so I had to bring in a second. That was a shock as that Elna had done everything I had asked of her for many years - leather belts to silk organza.
I have managed to get over the thread matching phobia, though I still like dark/light variances.
If I've washed and ironed a fabric, it's more important that it's cut straight than it's on grain, but I can usually manage both.
Apparel sewing? I've had a robe cut out for 6 or 7 years. How long have I been quilting? Seven years this month. I am one who can purchase a pattern, make one minor adjustment and know it will fit. At least seven years ago, I could.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I wonder how many people still make clothes. The costs involved don't seem worth the effort. But as Patrice said, it's nice to have something that is one-of-a-kind.
I've seen patterns occasionally and the prices are outrageous! Haven't looked at fabric for garment sewing.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Occasionally there are pattern sales - I have not figured out the "seasons" for when they run, but they do happen now and then.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I wonder how many people still make clothes. The costs involved don't seem worth the effort. But as Patrice said, it's nice to have something that is one-of-a-kind.
I've seen patterns occasionally and the prices are outrageous! Haven't looked at fabric for garment sewing.
i agree with the above...unless ones body type doesn't fit the norm of mass production, I see no reason to sew ones own clothing. Who cares if it's a one of a kind.....unless, of course, one is a celebrity.....and in the cameras eye!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:00 AM

Having a 5/8" seam for clothing allows for using a variety of seam finishes. I cut a much smaller seam allowance when cutting the final garment, but always the larger when making a muslin, for the obvious reason of I don't know what will work and need room to play. Most of the time I cut a 1/4" seam allowance for my garment clothing. In areas of 'stress', I finish the seams together with a zigzag stitch and the 1/4" allows for that (like a serger would do).