Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Disconnecting the WIFI experiment >

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Old 08-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

I thought this was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN04OO67_do
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Yep! Loved it!! Went out for lunch on Sunday and one table a family of 4 all had devices going even while eating lunch. One was on a laptop. One sent all a message and they gave high fives. They were irked though when the waitress tried to place their drinks on the table. Hubby and I just shook our heads. WE went on to enjoy our meal.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

That is just unbelievable!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 AM

It's sad that this is what family life is coming to. Funny video!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Wink

*** They are all going blind, have bad posture, and miss all there is in the beautiful world.
*** Glad my kids are grown because I would not have allowed it at the table.
*** There was no TV allowed back then at meals.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:19 AM

What's even scarier, is that at some point that generation will be old enough to run? this country.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:49 AM

When my daughter was a waitress, she talked about this frequently. It is a very common thing for families to ignore one another at dinner, and it's not just the children. Aside from the fact that it is rude, it creates a disconnect for the family. If parents don't see their children all day, and the few hours they could spend engaging them and showing an interest in their lives is spent actively ignoring them instead, what will the finished product be when the kids become adults? Who is providing the devices the children are immersed in? It is up to the parents to establish rules and set boundaries. What is the glue that bonds the family together? It is not hours spent in front of televisions, on cell phones or other tech devices. Parents need to lead by example themselves, and also forbid children from bringing their toys to the table. Studies have shown that children who are raised in families who sit down to dinner with one another each night statistically grow up to be successful adults. Dinnertime is an important time to interact with one another and to come together as a family. It propagates a sense of belonging.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:34 AM

I will be 69 next week and I LOVE my technology - but not with other people over a meal!!!! In fact, I really do t like these vehicles that co e equipped with DVD so all the kids need to do is plug in and become zombies.whatever happened with the road games. So it prevents fighting and that kind of stuff - parents need to actually parent - I a, not a crabby old person but parents need to connect with their kids instead of giving them technology or pitting the, into anger-school classes every single day. Now I shall step off my soapbox!!!! Thanks for listening.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Seems electronics have taken over the world. I have a cell phone but only use it if I'm broken down somewhere. Otherwise its turned off and in my purse. I'm also unsubscribing to a lot of my websites I receive emails daily. I feel I need to get back to basics and keep off the PC more. As to the TV, I have a DVR to record all my favorite shows which there are not that many these days. By recording them I can fast forward the commericals and if I feel the show is not in my best interest I can justs "DELETE" and not waste the time. Works for me.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 AM

long before personal devices became common, it was TV. I can't begin to say how many people I've visited over the years who never turn off the TV and look like they are viewing a tennis match. Look at guest, look at TV, look at guest.

One of the many reasons we don't even have TV