Dishwasher recommendations

Old 11-03-2017, 12:53 PM

My daughter tried to buy a Bosch, and found out that it is just a bit taller than other models. It would not fit under her counter and she had to go with another brand. So measure carefully.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Sounds like every make turns out some lemons once and a while. My DIL was of the opinion that all dishwashers are the same, so they purchased a cheap one (not sure of the make) when they built their home. All dishwashers are NOT created equal!! We have to rinse off her dishes, wipe the peanut butter off the knives etc., and they still come out with food dried on. Is it more the quality of the machine that makes a difference rather than the brand? I have a high end Bosch and I swear by it! No rinsing and dishes are spotless.... Just sayin'
Old 11-04-2017, 08:50 AM

Well, I still have a scrubber and Dawn at the sink, and I use it on all my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. I guess I am still " old fashioned" as we call it.ha.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:52 AM

I’ve had my Bosch for 15 years and still going strong, all my large appliances in my kitchen are Bosch and have been for the last 30 years. Each one has been long lasting and owe me nothing.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I like my Bosch. It has a light so you know it's running, that's how quiet it is. The guy who installed it said the quick cycle does the same job as the regular cycle. The water doesn't have to be reheated over and over when using the quick cycle. And takes 1/3 less time. He was right. I use Cascade Platinum pods. Dishes are always clean and shinny.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Well, I still have a scrubber and Dawn at the sink, and I use it on all my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. I guess I am still " old fashioned" as we call it.ha.
Goodness why make all that extra work and waste all that time, water and soap? I scrap off the dishes and they go right in the dishwasher not rinsed. If they didn't come out clean then it's time for a new dishwasher, not extra work for me. One thing that is in all the manuals for dishwasher is to be sure the hot water is hot before turning on the dishwasher. It take a lot of power to heat cold water and the water is coming in cold and never gets hot during the first rinse. Open the dishwasher and check the first rinse water to see if it is hot.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:54 PM

We had a Siemens we bought in 2005. They are a sister brand of Bosch. I loved that one, and then we moved and bought a Bosch. This one is not as quiet and the racks drive me crazy - very hard to load for some reason. If I was shopping again I would take some of my own dishes to try because if a plate has a certain size curve it won't fit if the tines are too close together. Both did a great job of cleaning dishes. The Siemens had a manual that was 54 pages long and started with stern warnings to read it all the way through before using the appliance. LOL - Life is too short! Never had a problem with it. I would say to insist on stainless lining and whatever you get, buy the extended warranty. We used to never do that, but appliances have gone downhill in recent years and are guaranteed to fail sooner rather than later. The Bosch we have has a plastic trim around the handle that has cracked twice in the 3 years we've owned it. It was covered the first time, but after a year they said it was "cosmetic" and not covered. Guess what brand we won't be buying again!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

There are low end and high end models of most brands of any major appliance. I have found buying the next to the highest model is a good choice. The best of the features are there but not the extra ones I probably won't use. Of course the best of the best are professional models used in restaurants. Those would be a one time buy for a household.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:57 PM

I have a Whirlpool, about 6 years old. It has the flatware basket hanging on the door. I finally realized the reason my flat ware doesn't get clean is because they don't really get much water on them during washing. Next dishwasher I get will hopefully have the flatware basket in a better place. Things that get placed at the corners, also, don't get clean.