Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you use a Toaster Oven? >

Do any of you use a Toaster Oven?

Do any of you use a Toaster Oven?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 AM

I bought a toaster oven about a year ago at an NBC (Name Brand Second Hand) store for less than $30. I use it more than my regular oven.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM

Love mine! Hate heating up the house just to make a single small pizza, or biscuits, or bake small dishes of scalloped potatoes, etc. We got rid of our toaster to free up counter space because we would get more use from a toaster oven. So we invested in a Cuisinart and use it every day. I have made cakes, pies, casseroles, meatloaf, etc. Just can't live without it. I would suggest everyone with small appliances get in the habit of unplugging them when not using them. Just like your irons-you just never know.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 AM

I don't like toaster ovens but I did buy a microwave/convection oven combo. I love the convection part - it's fast, fast, fast and I'm not heating up the whole big oven for something little.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM

Mine is a Hamilton Beach. It's more than a toaster oven. It has a rotissere (I've done a chicken) in it. It also is a convection oven as well. Most of the time there is my husband and I. Last night I baked 2 sweet potoates in it. I've baked biscuits and a pumpkin pie in it. You're right it keeps us from using the big oven.

Jenny
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM

I use my toaster oven for a lot of things - but not toast. I find the toaster does a better job. I have had several different makes of toaster oven and found it to be true for all of them. But they are great for cooking a piece of fish and finishing off a baked potato that was started in the microwave. I usually bake several pieces of chicken in the regular oven and freeze what I don't plan to use right away.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Yes, we added a Breville a couple of years ago, kind of expensive, does everything, big enough to hold a frozen pizza, not crazy about the toast that it produces, heating is uneven in that area.
Love the idea of not having to turn on the oven, or suffering the toughness of the microwave. Definitely a good purchase for us.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM

Default toaster oven

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I have been debating with myself about buying a toaster oven. Can't decide if I would use one that often. I do a lot of roasting of vegetables which I put in the oven. Do any of you have one and do you use them? I only cook for myself and it seems crazy to heat up the oven just for me. Any thoughts?

I have a Delonghi Convection oven, about the size of a toaster oven, it toasts, bakes, defrosts,and broils. I use it lots more than the stove oven, I cook for two and don't use those large utensils anymore.

It's great and I really like it, sure saves heating up the kitchen and saves on utility bill too.

Viv
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Do your research and get what you want and will use. I use mine nearly every day when cooking for 2. I do not have a broiler in mine, a feature which I miss. When this one dies, I will get one that will broil, bake, and toast as well. I think about my toaster oven like I do about my microwave: How did I ever manage without it.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM

Yes! I use it to broil meat, bake french fries and cookies(when I only want a few). I have used them for over 6 years. I use my microwave much less than I have in the past. Can't do without one.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Have one and use it daily. Just the 2 of us to cook for. Haven't had the big oven on in years. Adjusted recipes to go in smaller ovenwear. You may need to adjust your recipes but I would encourage you to get one.I don't think I could be without one. I placed an old cutting board underneath to keep heat from damaging countertop. Works for me. fmd36 in NH

Last edited by fmd36; 10-31-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more info