Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel blue for no reason at all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramma B
    It could be depression. Perhaps you should see a doctor. I'm on "happy pills"; "they make my sun shine". They have made a world of difference. I used to be like you; not happy for no reason at all, crying for no reason, felt like crawling in a hole and pulling it in with me.

If it happens more often, I would suggest you seek help.
    You know I think your right, I decided to take myself off the happy pills, thinking everything is just in my head and I'm really not depressed, since I've quit taking them, I've notice I cry a lot for no reason at all, and I'm a bit cranky with the hubby, guess I better call the Dr. and tell her to refill my meds.....I was just trying to get off all meds, including pain pills for lower back pain..Since I've been getting injections in my back, I don't need pain pills, but I think I need my Happy Pills back...LOL

Blog Entries
    glad i'm not the only one with menopause blues. and i started menopause at 38. i agree with all the other ladies. light, exercise, chocolate did i say chocolate yep, doesn't hurt to here it twice. and the power of positive thinking. and good friends and family. have a happier day.

It happens to all of us at times in our lives.

Thanks, everyone, I'm better now. When there isn't a reason I try to ignore it but sometimes I just give in to being teary for a bit. Sometimes just looking at pictures and things that make me smile do the trick.

AND...my grandson crawled two steps forward! He then took four back, but he gets it! :) :) :) Can't beat that for therapy!

I get these on occasion. Mostly because I don't like being so old but yet I am thankful I am still here. I miss the kids and grandkids and that is usually when it hits. Thank goodness it does not usually last long and I hope the same for you. Just find something to do and no dwell on the negative.

I have...but as long as it isn't long lasting, I don't really worry too much about it...usually after a few days, something/someone will help and I won't feel so blue anymore. It can be easy to feel sorry for ourselves sometimes...but it can feel empowering to find ways to get through the tough times...and usually our experiences of getting through will help the next time. Life can be overwhelming sometimes...and we may think there is no reason at all...but it usually is something. Try to be really gentle with yourself, take naps, have a special treat, buy something frivilous, go for a walk, play with a child...something will help the blues go away.

Yes! For a few days in fact. Last week was really bad, for no reason that I could see. My son called one evening and asked me something and I started crying (for no reason). I was so emotional for a few days, so blue.

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again. Moving to Arkansas
    Mental-pause is quite the roller coaster ride! As a matter of fact, it is like riding the coaster with a full bladder, a loose fitting wig, and a bra that is too tight.
    And, that's a good day. :shock:

DH was complaining that I was being awful "moody" a while back...I told him "just wait till I go through menopause"...he said he was going to send me to my mom's - how long does it last he asked LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lscho4jm
    Mental-pause is quite the roller coaster ride! As a matter of fact, it is like riding the coaster with a full bladder, a loose fitting wig, and a bra that is too tight.
    And, that's a good day. :shock:
    Love that description!

Well, I occasionally get the blues. Had them at lot when I lived up north and had to go thru those long dreary winters and no sun.Since being in FL. much better, but notice certain times set it off. For some reason the 18th of any month (my mom died June 18th, 2001)can bother me, Mothers Day because she is not here or just something being said. Also, going thru a lot of crap with son/grandson. Ex girlfriend trying to take grandson from son. So depressing. Dads have no rights.But, I usually am pretty happy. It's just natural to get the blues now and then.

Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen, Coldstone.....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think we all feel the "blues" at times thinking that life could be better. I just try to think of the positives instead of what I don't have. I'm single, but the older I get, the better I appreciate not having to clean up after someone else, doing what I want when I want, buy what I want when I want, etc. But, most of all, I have a couple limiting health issues, but nothing terminal - yet! Enjoy your family while appreciating they are healthy. Hugs!
    I'm with you but I notice lately I seem to cry an awful lot :(
    Jumpin off the bridge looks good to me but with my luck I'd live and be a parapeligic but with no brain damage, just more suffering pfffffffffffffftt I keep sayin I'll snap out of it sooner or later

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    It happens to me frequently, I call it menopause.
    AMAN SISTER IT SURE DOES A LOT EVEN THOUGH ITS HAS ONLY ONE WORD MENAPAUSE.PEOPLE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL IT CAN EFFECT ON A WOMAN BUT WHEN YOU GET THERE AT MENAPAUSE AGE YOU'LL SURE FIND OUT.

Yes, we all feel it. I crochet and in the lulls of quilting find that refreshing and wonderful because I give everything away. If I think about just that one thing, it makes me happy again. I truly don't think we are happy until we give it to someone else. Project Linus is a wonderful charity to give to and I would bet one of your quilt shops takes them in to distribute or has someone who comes in to pick them up. That's how I got started. Don't feel bad; we are women and our emotions can be all over the place with nothing really being "wrong" with us. :) :)

Yes, I am often blue. But I always know why. We lost our youngest daughter 5 years ago. She was my best friend. So when I am blue it is because I am missing her. I call it a bad Katie day. Today will be a good Katie day. Full of happy memories. The 4th of July was always special.

Yes, sometimes I will start crying for no reason I can think of. Kinda embarrassing, don't you think? Guess it is just being a woman.

Blog Entries
    I know the feeling...it is new for me. I lost my husband over 3 years ago, retired a year and 1/2 later, moved across the country to be near my kids that I adore, bought and totally remodeled my home, established a garden, began doing volunteer work at the library and with the state concerning aging. Now, all of a sudden, I am not quite happy. Life seems sort of boring and I am sort of in a "funk". I get up early, take a long walk, come home, drink some coffee, shower and make myself get busy. I think of the song by Peggy Lee.."Is this all there is?" I am hoping this is just a stage and I will get past it! Meanwhile, knowing others feel the same (thanks to this board)makes it seem better. Hope it does the same for you!

Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    It happens to me frequently, I call it menopause.
    I agree. I have been on Prozac for a few years. It just evens out my moods. But lately I feel as if it isn't enough. :roll:

Yes, before I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. When the thyroid is off you can feel depressed, foggy, confused, lost, very blue, like there is a dark cloud hanging all around you, moody, tired and so on. Get it checked. Your thyroid reading should fall in the .5- 1.5 range. Though doctors say it can be a much larger range that is the optimal span. At my worst I was very depressed and felt like walking off and never returning wouldn't be an issue. Another time when the med was off I would have to strain to try and make sense out of simple sentences. My husband would say- Did you put the dog out. I'd stand there staring at him trying to think through how to even spell the word did.- It took quite a bit of convincing to get the doctors to see it as it was due to the switch in brand of med they gave me. You can also feel hyper even if briefly, irritable, sleepless and so on.

I have it and have had it for years. I find the best thing to do is just get busy doing something or call someone and chat for awhile. My husband does not understand this "foolishness". Of course, he is still working (refuses to retire) and is always talking to someone so I guess that keeps his mind busy. Often I just have to make myself get up out of that chair and do something. I keep thinking "this too shall pass" and sometimes it does. Hang in there.

Life is too short to experience the blues...having to deal with the same feeling my suggestion is to run to doctor and get help. God bless

I actually was very depressed/moody from about the age of 14 until I hit menopause. (wanted to commit suicide around 14) The hot flashes were a B* but even thru them, menopause made me feel like I had a whole new life in front of me. Being old, except for the beat body is the best time of my life!

I have never ever liked Drs or meds - the only time I went to Dr for it was when I was 19 and the Dr said: "do you have a boyfriend?", yes, "is he here?", no, in Vietnam, "well, you'll feel better when he comes home." The end. After that the only time I've been to a Dr is for mandatory work physicals. (Oh, went in for diabetes tests, too - at least 5 times in 30 yrs cus I know my own body and how its acting - they said every time, you're fine!! My GF F and uncle died of diabetes complications, it runs on dads side - I kept telling them to check for both kinds, nope, only give me the same one test over and over. Now, I just follow dads diet, eat 6 small meals thru the day and religiously stay away from sugars and hidden sugars and feel 100% better!)

I do think hypothyroid is an underdiagnosed issue and can make you feel just terrible. You have to beat a Dr over the head to check for certain things.

It is esp very depressing to be alone on holidays. I was/am alone alot. Hubs is now on the boat for a week. Try not to drug yourself with foods or anything else that may become addictive (meds, smokes, booze, shopping etc). Find a scent you love, that makes you crazy happy when you smell it. Lately I've been nuts for the new Old Spice deoderants. Open one and but it on a vent that is running, hot or cold, just to get the smell in the room. Wear it all over you! It's what makes you happy to smell!!! What matters is you and your mood - not the what will people think if I do THAT - thing.

If you like certain colors, go thru your stash and play with them. Start a small new project you can pick up when you want and you wont beat yourself up for not finishing. Try anything new you always wanted to do but were afraid to try - anything. Wear a color you love, but were told "looks bad on you!" What is your fav movie (NOT a sad one! a happy one!)Watch some of your fav funny/happy ending movies. Make a pot of homemade - loose popcorn in a real pot, pop it not the micor, put in your fav flavors, or try something new - I watch Arsenic and Old Lace and eat chili popcorn.

Get outside, mow the lawn, the smell is incredible, plant something, anything, go for a walk, get a little sunshine on you, 20 min in the sun can lift you. Ride a bike. Take a day and see what/how you eat then start a better way - even eating right can make your mood better. Smile at everyone. Go to the grocery and let people in line ahead of you, smile. Talk to strangers in line, smile. .Do not dwell on feeling depressed, do not talk to people about problems, do not talk in any way negative, dont watch any news shows any pointlessly violent programs. The brain is a wonderful machine, it will go where you program it. You can program w/ chemicals (meds) or you can program with chemicals already in your body - the thing with your body is you are in charge of it and you have to figure out what will program for you. Smells, smiles, foods, laughter, can help release the hormones, trigger brain changes to turn off the depression. Sad, angry, violent things, darkness, can make it trigger into depression.

The aloneness can be altered just by a PM to anyone on this board! We are all here and will be here if you are so down you just want to talk w/ someone. sharet

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think we all feel the "blues" at times thinking that life could be better. I just try to think of the positives instead of what I don't have. I'm single, but the older I get, the better I appreciate not having to clean up after someone else, doing what I want when I want, buy what I want when I want, etc. But, most of all, I have a couple limiting health issues, but nothing terminal - yet! Enjoy your family while appreciating they are healthy. Hugs!
    "Ditto".... I'm a widow and loved my husband dearly, however, I am happy to be alone with my furbaby. He and I get along just fine by ourselves. Now, my kids (3 daughters and their families) come over at times, but they have their own lives to live too. I do not interfere with what they do or don't do. Am proud of everyone of them. We get together on holidays at one of their homes....when I get tired of the noise, I come home. That is the beauty part of living alone. Hugs to you....just think, you have more than some folks....love to you...Mary

Blog Entries
    It does happen. I'll feel I have no real friends. I even think I'll never sew again at times, but don't do anything rash. Normalcy comes back and I'm always happy I didn't do something I would later be sorry for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast