Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why? >

Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why?

Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Honeynga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West GA
Posts: 460
Default

Originally Posted by tuesy
Yes, I do that same thing..my cravings will last about 2-3 weeks. Last thing I was craving was cabbage.
Funny you say that ! I've been eating cabbage lately also......had steamed cabbage over the weekend and yesterday I made cole slaw with a vingerary type dressing.....

I never crave chocolate, but if it is salty/crunchy I'm there....even ate stale potato chips the other day !
Honeynga is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,397
Default

there is also a lot of protein in peanut butter; when I did daycare it was always welcomed by the food care program because it was healthy and most kids would eat it. I use Skippy because it has less sugar than most and I love the crunchy. I was always told if you crave something (even when pregnant) it's because your body needs the nutrients in it. My mom has been dead for many years and I hadn't seen her since I was little anyways since dad decided to take us away but even as a pre-school age child I remember my mom eating banana and salad dressing (mayo) sandwiches and I eat them especially when I'm feeling lonely and I always think of my mom when I eat them; that's more of comfort than craving but sometimes that's why we eat; it doesn't always have to do with being hungry. If I could only eat when I was hungry I'd have no problem.
romanojg is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
  #23  
Power Poster
 
cjomomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
Posts: 14,022
Default

Originally Posted by GwynR
all the time! fresh ground nutmeg in my coffee! yum!
Nope! Had myself fixed almost 5 years ago.
cjomomma is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Opal Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 866
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Opal Jane
Right now I am addicted to peanut butter on celery. Every day when I get home from work, I have to have a couple of pieces of celery with peanut butter. I don't why I am addicted to this. Maybe my body is lacking some type of nutrients. I wish this addiction would just go away, too much fat in peanut butter, eventhough I just heard that it has the good fat (is there such a thing).
More the question is ... are you truly hungry at those times? or are you grabbing something to eat out of habit?
Of course I'm not hungry....I just know, I'm home and its time for my peanut butter and celery. So maybe its more of a habit that I need to break. UGH!!!
Opal Jane is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Opal Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 866
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i see you are almost to your weight loss goal. congrats!!!! what a difficult journey that is. perhaps your body is craving the oils, or maybe the salt in the p.butter and celery. keeping the portion small sure helps... i have learned that. again, Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you....I don't know what it is but I have to keep this addiction under control before it gets out of hand.
Opal Jane is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM
  #26  
Power Poster
 
BellaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Front row
Posts: 14,647
Default

I get on food kicks all the time. Right now it's blueberries mixed with pecans. I ate a bowl of them for breakfast. A few weeks ago it was fire roasted tomatoes mixed with pesto sauce on ziti noodles. I ate it everyday. I seldom crave sweets but when I do it's always cupcakes and that can be dangerous!
BellaBoo is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM
  #27  
Power Poster
 
BellaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Front row
Posts: 14,647
Default

I heard if you crave salt your body is yelling at you that something is not right. It's time for lab work!
BellaBoo is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
  #28  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
Posts: 1,040
Default

Originally Posted by Greenheron
You all can't be expecting, can you?
Too funny Greenheron - :lol:.... but if I were, it could be called a miracle. 1st because @ 29 I had a hyestorectomy, 2nd because I'm 77 YEARS OLD! :roll: .....BUT if I remember right it takes two to tango & I've been on my own for over 20 years. :cry:
Great-great granny is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
ChaiQuilter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 514
Default

I was addicted to red licorice (a particular brand) when I was pregnant with my first!
ChaiQuilter is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
SparkMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plainfield, IN
Posts: 390
Default

Don't be afraid of a little fat. Good fats are beneficial and necessary (yes, I said necessary). Peanut butter isn't so bad--though you do want to stay away from sweetened stuff. Sugar is bad news--besides causing weight gain, it can cause a true chemical addiction. All-natural PB, the kind you have to stir up and refrigerate, is much better for you. If you're not allergic to nuts, almond butter is even better for you in terms of good fats (it is a little expensive, but that'll help keep you from gorging ;)).

As long as you don't go nuts and eat half the jar, your after-work snack is not a killer. The protein, fat, and fiber will help keep you satisfied until dinnertime. Keep it to a tablespoon or so and there's no guilt in your snack. :)
SparkMonkey is offline  

FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.