Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you have apple trees?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    If so, what varieties are you growing? Do they bear every year or every other year?

Blog Entries
    Not anymore, I cut all of the fruit trees down this year. No more mess!

We have Gala trees in our yard. They are small (2nd year) but have had apples both years. My parents have red and yellow delicious and granny smith. They bear every year also, but some years are much better than others.

There were 3 little trees here when we moved in. 4 years later we had a crop of 1. Too much shade and too many deer/elk.
    When we lived in town we had a grafted tree that had 5 varieties. That was a nice tree.

I lost my apple tree due to old age. A good note about it: When I got the estimate, the guy looked at the tree, then looked at me, and then said it was the biggest apple tree he ever saw in this area.

I plan to plant a live oak in that spot.

I do have a pear tree - it might produce decent sized fruit next year. I got it trimmed way on back this year.

I also planted some 3 years ago. No fruit yet. I think theyare Jonathan and maybe Granny Smith.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have two apple trees- Arkansas blacks - late producing ones. And another red of some sort. Already produced. The ab are super sweet and crunchy and produce nice sized ones every year. A late producing pear tree perfect for picking now. Huge size. Crunchy juicy and full of flavor but has a mild grit to it. Five different varieties of grape vines. All produce at various times of the year. A tart Cherry tree that did very well this year. Lost the other one to a bad wind storm. Blackberry vines that now looks like a hedge tha produce tons Raspbery vine that's tempermental. Didn't produce at all this yr. And goosberries that I leave for the birds.

We have a Fuji apple tree. Produces every year, but it wasn't consistent the first 4 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I have two apple trees- Arkansas blacks - late producing ones. And another red of some sort. Already produced. The ab are super sweet and crunchy and produce nice sized ones every year.
    You're right in style, luvTooQuilt! The Wall Street Journal had an article about heirloom apple varieties today, and Arkansas Black was one of the featured varieties!

I have 6 different varieties and yes they produce, but we are battling coddling moth and losing!

We have two in the back yard. Red delicious and golden delicious. They took seven years to start bearing fruit and we have apples every year. This year was a lean year though.....not many apples.

Blog Entries
    This year was a lean one for many fruits, it was a very dry spring/summer :(

I have two apple trees- Arkansas blacks - late producing ones. And another red of some sort. Already produced. The ab are super sweet and crunchy and produce nice sized ones every year. A late producing pear tree perfect for picking now. Huge size. Crunchy juicy and full of flavor but has a mild grit to it. Five different varieties of grape vines. All produce at various times of the year. A tart Cherry tree that did very well this year. Lost the other one to a bad wind storm. Blackberry vines that now looks like a hedge tha produce tons Raspbery vine that's tempermental. Didn't produce at all this yr. And goosberries that I leave for the birds.
    OH! I miss my Gooseberries! We had 4 huge plants in town. Love Gooseberry pie! I have one little plant here and it doesn't give me enough yet. Our cherry trees are too young to produce. I think they will be a salad bar for the deer though!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    I have two apple trees- Arkansas blacks - late producing ones. And another red of some sort. Already produced. The ab are super sweet and crunchy and produce nice sized ones every year.
    You're right in style, luvTooQuilt! The Wall Street Journal had an article about heirloom apple varieties today, and Arkansas Black was one of the featured varieties!
    Thanks.. I love these apples.. We pick them and they last a really long time in the fridge and cold cellar... when they are almost beyond their time i make apple butter & apple sauce with the the rest that have not been eaten..

Blog Entries
    No apples in our part of CA..have to go to the mountains, which are about 50 miles away. But we have peaches, figs and navel oranges in our yard. Our orange tree is about 60 years old, and came with the house. It makes oranges as big as grapefruit, and so juicy the juice runs down your arms when you break them open. We send them to out of state family and friends for Christmas. The fig and peach trees are only about 3 years old, and still unpredictable. We got about 15 figs this year, but about 30 peaches. Loved it!! We used to have a grapefruit, but I can't eat them because of medications, and a lemon that was an extreme overachiever..about 1,000 lemons every year, even when we trimmed it back, it grew back in 2 years!! Had those 2 cut down because of all the mess. I just buy lemons now when I need them.

I have a minature Fugi and it is 3 years old. Last year I had 6 apples, this year LOTS! It takes very little space and the fruits were huge.

We have a tree that is supposed to bear five different kinds of apples. We've never gotten a single one, nor any leaves for that matter.

Blog Entries
    What, no LEAVES??

Are you sure it's alive?

Blog Entries
    We have several varieties, but I have nearly forgotten what we have now - we have lost so many to deer and borers and replanted so many, I've lost track. We do have a golden delicious, Arkansas black, a pink-fleshed variety (Alameda?),and others, a few peach varieties, a sour cherry, a fig, and tons of berries, including those wonderful gooseberries! Nearly all of our tree fruit was eaten by ground squirrels this year. Someday we'll win that battle! The deer break down even our 10-foot fences. Arghhh!

just lost a large limb off ours in the wind. It was a fireside apple.

I wish! The deer make a quick dinner out of fruit trees. Come to think of it any tree, bush or flower I plant.

i have one , dont know what kind but the last 10 years i have lots of apples and they make great apple pies, it always seems the bigger apples are at the top of the tree, and i noticed the squirrel s love them more and the apples that they have taken bites out of go to the horse s down the road , they love them also so it seems like i get a lot of uses out of my apple tree, by the way i also have grandkids that love to climb it also!!

We have Golden Dorset and Anna, they are 6 years old and bear large crops. We can or dry apples for most of May and June each year. Will be planting more this year as they say the trees start slowing down by 10 years old and it takes 4 years to get a good crop. I want to try Fuji and Gala this time along with my GD and Anna, just to get more variety. We also grow plums, asian pears, grapes, meyer lemons, satsuma and figs.

Anna Apple / White Mallows in foreground
    Name:  Attachment-110838.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  72.3 KB

We have a graventein and a golden delicious. My husband trims them every year . They seem to be on an every other year. This year they were loaded so hubby had to put 2x4's under the limbs but the fruit stayed small and scabby. He never culls out the groups of apples but lets them fall naturally, and the ground apples that are early go out to the mountains to feed the elk and deer.

These are my favorite apples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast