Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have drapes or curtains in your house? >

Do you have drapes or curtains in your house?

Do you have drapes or curtains in your house?

Old 01-05-2022, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Default Do you have drapes or curtains in your house?

I have a lot of windows, 34 in the house. I don't have drapes, curtains, or swags on any of them I do have white wood blinds. I think I want formal drapes for the living and dining room but then again I think of the dust and the taking down and putting back up for cleaning. I love lots of light in the house so the blinds are seldom closed so the drapes would be for looks only, hanging on the sides of the windows. I can't decide but leaning to no drapes. What is your thoughts on drapes, for decor or for function?
Old 01-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a lot of windows, 34 in the house. I don't have drapes, curtains, or swags on any of them I do have white wood blinds. I think I want formal drapes for the living and dining room but then again I think of the dust and the taking down and putting back up for cleaning. I love lots of light in the house so the blinds are seldom closed so the drapes would be for looks only, hanging on the sides of the windows. I can't decide but leaning to no drapes. What is your thoughts on drapes, for decor or for function?
had decorator drapes in living room and dining room
of former house. Left them when we moved. No drapes in this house. Either blinds or cloth shades that pretty much stay up 99 percent of the time. They face the green belt in back. Blinds are easy to adjust for light or privacy. Don’t miss drapes/curtains/valances at all.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:34 PM

I have both blinds and drapes. While I like the ease of blinds, I find them kind of sterile looking in some rooms. My dining room, bedroom, spare bedroom and den have drapes. I just like the way they look. and feel they add warmth and softness to the room. Neither of us smoke and we don't often open windows so they really don't get dirty. I made the ones in the dining room and den. I used the large decorative wood rods with wooden rings that the drapes faster on to. Easy to get down when you do need to clean them.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

When I bought this house there were heavy drapes on some windows, blinds on some, and shutters on others. I took down all the drapes and some of the blinds. The big windows in the family room and living room overlook the canyon, lake, and mountains. I don't need window coverings for privacy, so I left those windows bare. I kept blinds in the bedrooms for sun control and privacy, but there are no longer any curtains or drapes in the house. I did put a privacy film on a window over the bathtub.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I have drapes on my patio door and bedroom window. I have blinds on the other windows. I vacuum my drapes but don’t wash unless something gets spilled on them. I like light but with the cost of electricity, I keep the windows covered to keep heat in in the winter and keep heat out in the summer so the air conditioner doesn’t work as hard.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:29 AM

I have white cafe curtains in most of our rooms, primarily because when we first moved to our house, we had a dog. He barked at anyone walking by (that was his job, after all, to alert us). With the curtains, he couldn't see out and all was quiet. Now that he has passed away, we still have them and like the light that comes in all day. I'm considering putting in sheers here and there but just haven't gotten around to it. They wash well, are inexpensive, let in light, and offer what little privacy we need.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:39 AM

I only have blinds. Not by choice but because of simple indecision. I have been in my condo for 6 years and just can't make a choice that feels "right". The only time I miss drapes is when it is really cold or really bright. In my area of Michigan, it is seldom very bright and really cold happens less and less. So, the blinds will do.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:16 AM

The first upgrade to our new house was custom-made plantation shutters. I love them. No curtains. They really helped with elec bill. We open and close them for the sunrise in the front side and sunset in the backyard. Spectacular.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:46 AM

I have drapes on the front LR window and in the den. They are different fabric designs. I found a lady that would make the panels for $45 each. I supplied fabric and lining. Each panel is one width of fabric as these are decorative only. It takes about 6 yards of fabric per window for a 90 inch length depending on the pattern repeat of the fabric.

I have never taken them down for cleaning. If they needed cleaning, I would run a damp cloth across the top and call it good. The other option is to fluff them in the dryer with a damp towel.

Favorite site. I have used their patterns and the medallions as hardware in my sewing room.

https://www.patemeadows.com/curtain-patterns.html
Old 01-06-2022, 06:14 AM

When I bought this old 1900 house, it has long narrow windows. I bought the honeycomb shades for them but I rarely if ever close them. I have sheers over them so it's blocks out some of my neighbor's nosey-ness. My new kitchen and sunroom I went with the wood blinds and again I never close them and I just have short valances on the kitchen windows but not the sunroom windows. I also love lots of light coming in.

My sister is complete opposite, keeps her inner doors closed at all times and pulls down all her blinds at night.