Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have favorite jeans?

Do you have favorite jeans?

The comments about the silly mom jeans with knee windows got me to wondering what kind of jeans do "mature" women buy? If you can't tolerate tight spandex and hate the way most jeans make you look, have you found anything that you do like? Can we mention brands on here?
    Have you found a brand and style that works for you?

Power Poster
    I like the jeans with 2 %spandex added for comfort. I also want my jeans to come all the way to the waist. No low rise jeans for this old girl. Brand names don't matter, I just try on a bunch until I find a pair that fits well.

Right now my favorite to wear around the house are Lee Riders Curvy Skinny petite pants. Not really jeans but look like denim, I'm 5' 2". They are the perfect length and not baggy but not skin tight. They are very comfortable. The curvy fit means the waist is where the waist should be and not on the hips. No holes and no sparkly or gaudy back pockets. Very slimming and look great with slip on flats and a nice top. 123 I'm ready for the day at home, to go shopping, or out and about. Inexpensive too! I don't mind wearing them to do yard work or housework and worry if I mess them up.
    I love my life!

I like the 2% spandex, too. My favorites at present are some made by Harley Davidson and only available online for some reason. I bought 1 pair at $40 and liked them so well, I bought a second. Great price for really sturdy jeans that aren't too fitted. Since they are made for straddling a bike, there's extra thigh room and they don't bind. I really like that.

I had some Talbots gift cards and bought a pair from them. They are really nice and a bit dressier than the HD ones. I wear that pair to the office with a jacket. Dark wash and like I say a bit dressier.
    Patrice S

I, too, like the 2% spandex. I personally prefer the hip-height waist vs the full height waist. I find that the 'normal' waist height is too high for me - I'm 5'2" as well. And I get the short/petite version as the length is good as well as the rise from crotch to waist is better suited to my size. I'd have to look at what brand I've been wearing. Have not bought new jeans in a few years now. But I do really like what I've been wearing - obviously. And equally obviously, they hold up really well!

Lane Bryant jeans is what I wear. Expensive but so comfortable. The Sales Lady also helps when getting the correct fit for my body type.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    I have a favorite pair that's about eight years old and wearing thin. They're Lee jeans but they don't make that style any more. They have a bit of spandex but the thing I like best is the way the waistband fits. It has a soft elastic backing so it fits without gapping.

I like the version of Gloria Vanderbilt that Costco used to carry -- they had a little stretch and wide-ish legs (the new legs are too narrow for me).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    i like a brand at Avenue. it has some spandex, and this my pink ones are my favorite. they go with everything. I should have bought 2 pairs. they were about $50-55 and worth every penny. they are very great there, and like Romans, will help you while your in the room half naked, they will run and get you another size, style or color.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I love the Knit Jeans I bought at Catherines. They have spandex and are not baggy and fit well without being too tight. They are so comfy.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    I am with QuiltsRfun, love the Lee jeans with elastic waist and bit of spandex ! Came in 'tall' lengths.

I recently went shopping for jeans because I was down to only owning three pair, and that's all I usually wear (retired). I stopped at a Macy's that had them half off because they were closing the store. The jeans were still $30, at half off. All they had were jeans with spandex in them, and I have resisted buying those all these years. But I bought some, and they are now my favorite jeans! They are so comfortable! Since all the jeans at Macy's had back pockets, I took those off as soon as I got home. I never use back pockets and my padonkadonk doesn't need any extra fabric to make it look bigger.

NYDJ ( Marilyn cut) are my favorite jeans. I am an apple shape and these fit great. While I have my belly, my thighs are trim and most jeans are way too baggy for my legs if the waist fits. When I wear these jeans my husband compliments me. I buy them for "dress" .

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    NYDJ ( Marilyn cut) are my favorite jeans. I am an apple shape and these fit great. While I have my belly, my thighs are trim and most jeans are way too baggy for my legs if the waist fits. When I wear these jeans my husband compliments me. I buy them for "dress" .

Sandy
    I have a women's clothing store and NYDJ (Not Your Daughter's Jeans) are our best seller. While the Marilyn is a great style, we sell more of the ankle style since a lot of our customers have a shorter inseam.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=QuiltnLady1;7786818]I like the version of Gloria Vanderbilt that Costco used to carry

I buy these, this year at BJ's I bought the pull on stretchy (little stretch) corduroy ones, no zippers or anything, They are so comfortable and they look softer than the normal cords. We can't wear jeans (of any color) at work but we can wear cords and that is great. I'm getting ready to do a sew along in the next month or two and make my first pair of custom fit jeans. I'm so excited, I have the pattern and a CD from the same teacher and she's doing the sew a long, Shes even going to put together a kit if we want that has all of the snaps, zippers, etc needed for them. It'll be better than running around all over the place trying to find things you need. We are a large area but so many things, especially in garments that we don't have in our few shops here. I had one pair of skinny jeans that I did love so much but the stretch weave has broken and they now pucker. I have no rear, no hips so finding jeans that will stay up without a belt is a challenge. The belt and the waist band can make any pair of pants uncomfortable if not done right, which it seems is the biggest problem.
    Judy

We all see many people are wearing bad fitting clothes. There is a fit for every shape and it's not achieved by pulling something off a rack and taking it home.

My favorite jeans are 100% cotton denim, no spandex, and cut to fit just below the waist, not sliding off my butt. Brand doesn't matter if the above requirements are met.
    Ageing is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been............David Bowie

I am intrigued by the NYDJ brand. I looked up where to buy them in Canada, and Hudson's Bay has them for $188.00 a pair. Seems like a lot of $$$ for casual wear.... Or am I so behind the times

Blog Entries
    I need a new pair of jeans. I can't wear jeans at work so I don't have many pairs. I am down to one pair that is still nice enough to wear. I have just started shopping for a pair and haven't found anything I like yet. The ones I have that I like are from OldNavy. They are their boyfriend jeans. They weren't expensive. I hope they haven't changed them since I bought these a few years ago. I might go today.
    I have never heard of the NYDJ jeans. I will have to see if anyone local carries them. Women pant sizes are so weird. I have pants in my closet that all fit- they are anywhere from a size 16 to 20. I really need to try them on.

I hate stretch jeans. After a while you get puffy knees & butt. There aren't any brands available for women that don't have stretch fabrics in them now. Men can still get traditional jeans. Like most clothing today it's nothing but cheap junk made overseas.

I make my own. Been sewing since I was 8 (my Grandmother taught me) & have made a lot of my clothes over the years. I worked in a garment factory for 11 years. I un-sewed a old pair of jeans that fit, made a pattern & I make my own right down to the rivets, just like factory made. I have leather making tools, so my press machine works to set rivets. Years ago I found a place that sold rivets for jeans, the same as the factories used. I bought enough to last me my life time. I also found the same thread, they used in factories, in the same large spools.

As a teenager I could not find size 0 or 1. The smallest the stores carried back then was size 6. So all my jeans had to be altered anyway. Years later I was able to find size 3. Even today I have trouble finding my size in local stores.

One thing I no longer do is flat felled seams. I sew the leg seams, right sides together as normal, overlock the seams & then fold the seam to one side & do a double row top stitch. Sometimes I do embroidery on the pockets before setting them or on one leg. I can still find traditional, non-stretch, jeans fabics at Jo-Anns.

Don't be afraid of the zipper. Use the drawing on the zipper package to trace the stitch lines. It'll make it easier for you. Use a jeans needle & go slow when stitching the belt loops on.

2% spandex, medium to dark wash, not low rise, sits at the waist, and long enough to cover the bottom of my ankle.....prefer straight legs too.

Macy's, Style & Co., Ex-Boyfriend, Skinny Ankle, Low Rise. I am short and curvy/lumpy with a pot belly and a butt. These jeans have some spandex. The are soft and although they are low rise they don't cut into my aging pot belly and you don't see the plumber's crack if I bend over In the picture on the Macys page they look form fitting and tight but I bought mine a size bigger and they fit and feel great. They also come in Plus Size They run a sale quite often so I usually wait until they are $28 to buy a new pair. Since I get the same jean each time I now order from the web so they come right to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I like the version of Gloria Vanderbilt that Costco used to carry -- they had a little stretch and wide-ish legs (the new legs are too narrow for me).
    I like the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans too. They are the only jeans I've found that fit the way I like. BJ's Wholesale carries Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. They have different styles of stretch. Some more than others. Check the different styles to find one you like.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda's fit me well, but I have to try them on in the store. I have several 12s that fit well, so I bought another pair - same store, same size marked - they couldn't have been more than a 8. Same thing with my favorite corduroys - St Johns Bay Secretly Slender from Penney's. This year's 14 is smaller than last year's 12. I like mine slightly below the waist with straight legs. Lees have a pair I want, but no local store have had my size - the joys of small town living.

Blog Entries
    I love my Riders Lee Jeans, very comfortable, straight leg, fit at the waist...Walmart and K-mart carry them...around $26 a pair...very little stretch...and last forever...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast