Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have hummingbirds and a feeder in your yard?

Blog Entries
    Do you have hummingbirds and a feeder in your yard?

I was looking out my living room window this afternoon and a hummingbird was flying around my wind chimes. I had a feeder before but the bees got in it and had to throw it away (it was suppose to be bee safe) wrong 2 got inside of it and boy did that made more bees swarm around it. I had to throw it away. I would love to get another one.

What kind of hummingbird feeder do you have?

Craftybear

We used to have one that you could stick to a window with suction cups. I never noticed any bees around it. The only reason I finally took it down was because of all the hummingbird poop all over the siding of the house and on the porch under that window!
    Teeny little poops add up! :)
    Did you make your own liquid or did you buy some? I used to make it (forgotten how) but maybe, if you're using store bought, that's whats attracting your bees?

I have 3 , but haven't seen any humming birds yet this year.

I love watching the hummers on the feeders in our back yard. I have two different kinds of feeders one with and one without a perch. Neither one has a "bee guard". I included the Texas Parks and Wildlife Hummingbird Roundup form that we use and it discusses feeders, etc.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...rvey_10_09.pdf

I know you don't live in Texas, but if you are interested the Texas Parks and Wildlife Hummingbird Roundup page is pretting interesting as well. It has some great information.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...gbird_roundup/

Hummingbird nectar is a ratio of 4 parts water to 1 part sugar (white sugar from the store, no honey) and leave out food coloring. It really isn't necessary. The stuff they sell in stores that is supposed to be for hummers isn't really that great for them. Its cheaper to make your own.
    I hope this helps you.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 feeders. Just cheap ones. They are in the yard where I can see them from my room (computer/sewing). Have regular visitors every day.

I have glass feeders which aren't up yet.

Haven't seen any hummingbirds yet, but I don't have my hanging plants up yet and my trumpet vine isn't budding yet. Hope to soon though. It has still been getting down to the 30's at night, but this week should be in the 40's.

Can't wait!

Blog Entries
    it was store bought, do you have a homemade recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    We used to have one that you could stick to a window with suction cups. I never noticed any bees around it. The only reason I finally took it down was because of all the hummingbird poop all over the siding of the house and on the porch under that window!
    Teeny little poops add up! :)
    Did you make your own liquid or did you buy some? I used to make it (forgotten how) but maybe, if you're using store bought, that's whats attracting your bees?

I just buy the cheap ones too, because every year they get broke, and sometime they are hard to clean. I havent seen any yet this year either!

I get hummingbirds, no feeder though. They love the butterfly bushes.

Blog Entries
    I had a few last year--still have to get the feeder up. They're darn tricky to get a photo of! :lol: But I did get a bunch last year--I never posted them. Here are three.

female
    Name:  Attachment-72316.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  53.2 KB

male
    Name:  Attachment-72317.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  60.4 KB

male
    Name:  Attachment-72318.jpe
Views: 122
Size:  71.9 KB

We have 2 feeders out & have visitors daily. They are just cheap feeders from Home Depot or Lowes. I make the syrup: 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. No food coloring. They like it as well as colored. LOL

Karla I love the pics! Those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I am in Tennessee and am on their migration path. (If that is what we call it). I get dribs and drabs until mid July then the build starts.
    August is my busy month. For (basically) the last 3 weeks of August I feed 3 gallons of sugar water a day.
    (Yes, 4cupswater/1cupsugar). I buy 25lbs of sugar a week for the last 4 weeks.
    I use 20 to 25 feeders that have from 5 to 10 holes per feeder. I make concrete baths from sack crete, sink my pole in the middle of the bird bath while the mix is wet. When it dries we keep it filled with water to keep the ants out of the feeders. I haven't found a solution for the bees and wasps. I just let the hummers chase them away. The hummers will not drink the water if there is a bee or ant in it.
    My bird watchers have guessed we have from 300 to 400 hummers at our peak. It is like a bee hive. They seem to come in after a thunder storm or hard rain and leave just before a thunder storm or hard rain. They seem to travel in groups. You can tell one group has gone and a new group has come in.
    (I am in a small town, with neighbors all around me. The neighbors have very few hummers and they swarm my feeders. I don't know how they pick and choose but they do.)
    I am looking for a photo that might show you. I space the feeders so it is hard to get them in the photo they swarm so much.
    I have not found my photos of them so I may have deleted them. If I did I can take some in August.

Blog Entries
    Dorothy--WOW!!! Have you taken photos??? I've seen videos of this from others--just amazing!!!

I think we had two.

I have had hummingbird feeders but very rarely do I ever see a hummingbird. On the other hand, my MIL 5 miles away always has several hummers. I used to threaten that I was going to capture a few with a butterfly net and move them to my house. LOL I don't understand why I don't get many hummers...I have flowers all over the place.

I had a really nice feeder but part of it was plastic. DH melted it when he boiled it trying to sterilize it so I put out a cheap feeder this year.

DD bought me a fancier one for Mom's day so there are 2 now. We have lots of huumers and they will fight and chase each other off.

My little ones only like homemade food. I put the store bought solution in the feeders and the birds would come, sniff and take off. I dumped that stuff out and put the sugar/water back in-they are happy now.

DD organized my pictures. I don't know where she put the birds.
    When I find them, I'll put their mug shot on here.

We have the 30 oz. glass feeders, with little yellow flower at each hole. We have 4 feeders and go through 25 lbs of sugar every two weeks. We have to buy it at costco. Somedays we feed 50+ hummingbirds at a time, waiting in line for a hole. We are considered a feeding station. We have hummingbird plants too, just in case we go on vacation and aren't here to keep the feeders full. We have 5 different kinds. Annas, and Costas we have year round. Usually the Black Chin, Rufus and Allens, come through spring and fall.

We do have hummingbirds...they are attracted to the agapanthas (Lilly of the Nile) plants in our backyard. We had a feeder at one time but it attracted more ants than birds :cry:

Pam
    A neighbor of mine, when I lived in Arizona accidently trapped one on her screened back porch, and had to feed it all winter long. She would go to every store and get flowers as well as hanging a feeder. She made me laugh so much. She said she was so glad when the first week of Feb came along so she could prop open the door and say good bye.

She did not put out any feeders THAT year so he would MOVE.

Have you considered planting flowers that attract hummingbirds? Flowers have advantage over feeders; they're less mess, less trouble, and less expensive. Red flowers that have a throat that the long beak can fit into will attract hummingbirds and be pretty for you to enjoy, too. Red petunias, red salvia, and cypress vine (also called hummingbird vine) are great to attract hummers, and they bloom until frost in the fall. Flowers planted under windows, in hanging pots, or in window boxes allow you to get a close-up view of the birds.

Yes, we have a feeder hanging on the outside edge of our patio. They are such fun to watch! We had a few stay all winter and now they are coming in multiples. The larger ones chase the smaller ones away so sometimes it is quite an airshow. My recipe for syrup is 1/2 cup sugar to two cups water. I put the sugar in first then fill up to the 2 cup mark and microwave to boil so the sugar dissolves, then I let it cool. I wash out the feeder and then refill.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nope - we have cats.

I have just cheap feeders from Walmart up and I get bunches of hummingbirds. I have only seen one so far this year but it is still terribly cold and windy here. I do make my own necter from 4 parts water one part suagar.

We have hummingbirds, but no feeders. They go for the flowers.

Karla, I have the same feeder, Lace

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast